• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tamako Market (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Tamako Market

Plot Summary: Tamako knows just about everything there is to know about mochi, the traditional Japanese dessert treats. When she's not attending her first year of high school, she even invents new flavors and varieties for Tama-ya, her family's mochi shop. School and growing up, on the other hand, are some things that she's still trying to find the right recipe for. But with the help of her best friends Kanna and Midori, two girls whose parents run businesses in the same shopping district, Tamako's determined to make the best of things. It's complicated though, especially when it comes to emotions and her relationship with her best boy friend Mochizo, whose family runs a rival mochi shop. And lately, Kanna's been feeling a little odd about her feelings towards Tamako as well. And what's with up with that strange bird fluttering around, the one that speaks fluent Japanese? It's all very mysterious and overwhelming, but at least Tamako always has one thing she can count on: No matter if your day's been good or bad, there's certain to be something sugary and delicious waiting at the end of every adventure whenever you take a walk through Tamako Market!

Episode 1
I have mixed feeling after watching the first episode. I was expecting a slice of life and comedy show. I totally did not expect to see a talking bird. I also did not expect to see a female florist with a mans voice. While I wasn't totally impressed with it, the episode was crazy enough to warrant a couple more episodes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I was going to say a talking bird is a little odd for one of KyoAni's slie of life shows with moe designs, but then I remembered Nichijou, they really do have precedent for egocentric talking animals. It was cute so far, and had spices of comedy pretty in line with KyoAni's work, although nothing that made me laugh out loud. There are at least males in this show despite its K-ON vibe, and there is a large variety of character designs.

If you thought the flower lady's voive was manly, that is because she (or perhaps he) was voiced by Daisuke Ono, the guy who has played such roles as Itsuki Koizumi, Yuuya Bridges, Yukito Kunisaki, and himself in Lucky Star.

I am interested by the description that you posted WhiteHairGirls, it seems to imply that Kanna (the Yui looking character with candy in her hair) spoiler[may have a crush on Tamako], this goes with the episode having the character making jokes about it. Something tells me that KyoAni would not have the guts to go there, I mean they avoided from going anywhere with clues spoiler[of Tsumugi being a lesbian] in K-ON.

As with KyoAni's other work, I will be following this. Already rooting for Tamako and Mochizo, could KyoAni have actual romance?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I can't say the first eppie hit me the way the first eppies for Hyouka and Chunibyo did, but I liked it. I love how KyoAni wrings comedy out of little things, like the way characters use their hands. For example, just after Tamako gets beaned by a badminton birdie, her friend says something about how the angle of the birdie and her forehead were perfect and she's making these funny little hand motions - stuff like that cracks me up.

Anyway, I'll be following this one, for sure.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote
My thought was "hey, talking bird, you're in the way." Which seems strange, now that I think about it some more.

Right now, the show feels aimless. Unless we're looking at a show centered around a budding interspecies romance, I couldn't tell you what the show is about after one episode, unlike other KyoAni productions.

Agree about the hands. Maybe that's why I don't like the bird: No hands.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1
Ah, here we go again! Kyoto Animation delivers and hopefully strikes gold this season! Now, I have to say that the OP song of the series is catchy. More so though is that talking bird. At first, I thought of lunch but then I realized how entertaining he was.

I sure got a lot of laughs from this series so far. Oh, and that ED song is a win.

Now, there's something you don't see every day:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:51 am Reply with quote
This is actually my favorite first episode of this season's run of shows. It was also the show I was looking forward to seeing most, and the first episode did not disappoint.

I was totally unexpecting the bird myself, but Dela Mochimazzi actually added to the show's overall charm. I was pleasantly surprised to see that his voice is played by Takumi Yamazaki, who played Isamu Dyson in Macross Plus.

From what I read in the character descriptions on the Wikipedia article of the show, it's spoiler[Midori that may be in love with Tamako rather than Kanna.] Of course, it could be the Wikipedia article that's wrong. I guess we won't really know until we get to that point in the show.

If this first episode is any indication, this may very well be my favorite show of the season!
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was alright. I might watch more.

Besides what everyone else is mentioning (the bird), one nitpick I had was the something in the ending with Tamako's birthday. spoiler[So because the bird almost died, they all forget to give her her presents. They all make it seem like its too late to do something about it, yet why cant they just give her the presents the next day? I mean, whats the big deal?] Dumb little nitpick, but thats what came up in my mind when I saw that lol
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
There might be more to it than that. It sounds like it's an ongoing problem that happens every year.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:52 am Reply with quote
Judging by the amount of still-wrapped gifts in Mochizo's drawer, missing Tamako's birthday seems to be a yearly occurrence. Also, remember that New Year's is an extremely large holiday in Japan, so Tamako's birthday falling on New Year's Eve adds to the difficulty of people remembering to give her birthdays gifts to her on time.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
the first 10minutes was very slow, but keep watcihng it gets alot better

once the chicken shows up, the story takes off on it's own

since the chicken sits on her head and her name is tamako and she makes mochi that looks like eggs, I guess those are all references to tamago? sister's name is anko and they boy's name is mochi, kind of weird so far.
JohnSC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
The bird in the show truely sticks out, but I see the original story not based on any manga sticking out more.

I find the show somewhat refreshing, as opposed to mostly characters in highschool, or the setting being highschool related, an anime about the activities of characters in the neighbourhood market is different. Also, the source of comedy relief being an animal instead of human, all makes the originality more worth while.

Last edited by JohnSC on Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:26 am Reply with quote
i wasnt really sure what to think about the bird at first, but at the same time, i wasn't really sure what this show was going to be about. I still have no idea, but I like the bird. I also like all the different people in the shopping district as well. I will keep following this.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Was it just me, or did it seem to anyone else like most of the screen-time was spent on the bird?

Not that I'm complaining. The show is cute. I just thought it was odd that the bird was present in nearly every scene and had more dialog than anyone else.

I guess I missed all the yuri subtext in the first episode. Then again, I wasn't specifically looking for it. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Dera gets less screen time and dialog in the second episode.

If the second episode is any indication, the other characters in this show will be more than just mere background characters. So far, the show is keeping the shopping district as the show's primary setting. Most of the school scenes have been a fairly small part of show and last only a few minutes.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe it took me till the 2nd episode to realize but Dera is one fabulous bird. I love how he acts all perky when he thinks a girl is in love with him. Talk about being delusional lol. I was hoping the people would react differently when they say the clips of the bird's prince but they acted like usual and just basically skipped the scene.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7