• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Berserk (TV 1997).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pingo

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:43 am Reply with quote

Berserk (TV 1997)

Genres: action, drama, fantasy, horror, supernatural
Themes: bloodshed, conspiracy, demons, medieval, mercenaries, middle ages, sword-fights, tragedy, war

Plot Summary: Guts, a man who calls himself "The Black Swordsman" looks upon his days serving as a member of a group of mercenaries, the Band of the Hawk, nicknamed "the Grim Reaper of the Battlefield." Led by an ambitious, ruthless, and intelligent man named Griffith, together they battle their way into the royal court, and are forced into a fate that may change their entire lives.
----------------------------------

Wow! What an anime... Im so glad I saw this.

spoiler[Guts really grew on me.

But am I the only one that felt it was a really depressing ending?

So in conclusion, the reason that Guts survived that hell ceremony(you see him older with one eye and arm in the first episode, so it be an flashback) is why? I dont know.
Does it make sense that Guts somehow cheated his fate.. his destiny. He was born as a corpse, and maybe he was not meant to have lived but he did, but unlike the other hawks, he could alter his future because he was not bound by destiny/fate?

I feel its kind of bad that Caska and Guts didn't got each other in the end. I guess im just a sucker for romance happy endings;)

But one thing that seriously bothered me was the end rape scene. I mean.. Rape and murder is always brutal on film and animation, but that end scene was horrible. I felt it was very disturbing.
It also proved how Griffith was truly evil, and its so depressing that Guts cuts of his own arm to get to her, when he rapes her. A demon rape....very sick and twisted. Still makes me feel very uncomfortable.
I guess all Animes are just not supposed to end well. ]

But in the end what an amazing anime;) Just wanted to say thanks to all you people who suggested this. Im glad I saw this.Smile
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:38 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Yeah, it's not covered in the anime, but in the manga a character known as the Skull Knight rescues Guts and Casca, or so I've heard.

And it was my vague understanding that you're right about Guts cheating fate because he was supposed to die as a child. Oh, and he wasn't born as a corpse, he was born from a corpse.]
Aokage

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:20 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Yes Gattsu was rescued from the god hand by The Skull Knight, who is supposedly as powerful as Void (the leader of the god hand). The series isn't even over actually. Volume 29 of the manga just released in Japan not too long ago. This manga has been going on since 1989. It is rather impressive to still see it in production. But Gattsu's story still driving foward.]
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:49 am Reply with quote
Read the manga. If you thought he was brutal in the anime, you have seen nothing. Guts becomes a monster(literally).
DKL

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:09 pm Reply with quote
The ending was horrible... *in a good way... what?*

not even bittersweet, more of, your left with "your jaw on the floor" horrible

I wanna read the manga, but I think I'll wait for Darkhorse to release a box set for it or something... well, that and I can't find this at a local Barnes *for good reason I guess*

also:

spoiler[

Griffith did sell out his friends for the sake of having his own kingdom... but a part of me believes that this was expected, he was already at that point, why not follow through with it? His men should've at least somehow expected that they would sacrifice their lives for the sake of his dream *I'm pretty sure most of them did*... so in the end, I feel that it's sort of a little bit of everyones fault... Griffith's and the men that believed in him

... but it's probably just me... if anything though, no one would've thought that they would sacrifice themselves for Griffith like THAT... I mean, JESUS

and Guts cheated death on multiple occasions even after being born from a corspe *which is sort of impossible right?*

but it's my belief that he survived because... aside from being a badass of course, is that he puts his hope and dreams into every slash of his sword... he lives by the sword *sorta poetic don't you think*

anyway, this is just my take on it, although I have to eventually see it again, having only seen it twice, I think there is more room for insight... I might as well see it subbed too while I'm at it

]
It's Debateable

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:45 pm Reply with quote
the ending wasn't really bad, because you can't really call it an ending. More like an introduction to the manga. Yes, the series is still ongoing and by the looks of things, it probably will never finish or maybe finish sometime not long before the creator dies of old age.
JustinSane

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:12 pm Reply with quote
It's Debateable wrote:
Yes, the series is still ongoing and by the looks of things, it probably will never finish or maybe finish sometime not long before the creator dies of old age.

First of all Kentarou Miura is only 39 years old. Unless some accident happens I don't believe he will die of old age anytime soon. As for the tv series, it's just a big advertisement for the superior manga. It only covers the golden age arc and there are most likely no plans to make another tv series. Do yourself a favor and pick up the manga, it's definitely worth the $14 you pay for it. By the way, has another picked up volume 7 yet? I went to get it on saturday but I don't think the bookstore got their new supply in yet.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:58 pm Reply with quote
then the anime is very GOOD advert for the manga... now, if I could only find the money to get it...

I'd like to pick it up at Barnes though since I get a discount
It's Debateable

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:33 pm Reply with quote
[quote="JustinSane"]
It's Debateable wrote:
Yes, the series is still ongoing and by the looks of things, it probably will never finish or maybe finish sometime not long before the creator dies of old age.

First of all Kentarou Miura is only 39 years old. Unless some accident happens I don't believe he will die of old age anytime soon. /quote]

I know. I was basically pointing that it can basically go on for many many more years.
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I think considering how the story is progressing atm, the series will end somewhere in the mid-40s.

There should be about 2 more arcs, the great war, and then the age of darkness.
JustinSane

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:10 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
then the anime is very GOOD advert for the manga... now, if I could only find the money to get it...

I'd like to pick it up at Barnes though since I get a discount

Yeah, I go to Waldensbooks and Borders since my brother works there and I get a discount.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:47 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:

spoiler[

Griffith did sell out his friends for the sake of having his own kingdom... but a part of me believes that this was expected, he was already at that point, why not follow through with it? His men should've at least somehow expected that they would sacrifice their lives for the sake of his dream *I'm pretty sure most of them did*... so in the end, I feel that it's sort of a little bit of everyones fault... Griffith's and the men that believed in him]

spoiler[Indeed, throughout the series everyone thought that Griffiths was a "great man," now what did that greatness really mean? It meant he was supremely selfish and egomaniacal. This was the point of the series, that the demons drove home to him in the end, everything he had done, everything, had been for his own interests. Earlier, Griffiths could fool himself into thinking that he wasn't a bad person, even thinking that he made great sacrifices for his men (as seen in his homosexual affair), yet when push came to shove he sacrificed everyone for himself. Perhaps here is the greatest irony, the very traight that made the world and all his men think of him as a great and worthy leader was the traight that made him into a demon; the desire for preeminance leads inevitably down the road to ruin. Berserk falls in line with other cautionary tales of the past such as Macbeth (for a Shakespearian reference) as such it does not have to end "happy.".]
DKL

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:09 pm Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:

spoiler[Indeed, throughout the series everyone thought that Griffiths was a "great man," now what did that greatness really mean? It meant he was supremely selfish and egomaniacal. This was the point of the series, that the demons drove home to him in the end, everything he had done, everything, had been for his own interests. Earlier, Griffiths could fool himself into thinking that he wasn't a bad person, even thinking that he made great sacrifices for his men (as seen in his homosexual affair), yet when push came to shove he sacrificed everyone for himself. Perhaps here is the greatest irony, the very traight that made the world and all his men think of him as a great and worthy leader was the traight that made him into a demon; the desire for preeminance leads inevitably down the road to ruin. Berserk falls in line with other cautionary tales of the past such as Macbeth (for a Shakespearian reference) as such it does not have to end "happy.".]

spoiler[

At one point, I was under the impression that it were possible for this to end in a Bittersweet type of manner *I haven't read the manga, but I'm just speculating something... stay with me*

anyway, I am thoroughly convinced now upon a second viewing that this series as a whole could not have any other possible ending than that of an ending that is truly horrible...

Again, I mean this in a good way, because it's overall impact may be quite profound and will stay with you long after it's done

so yeah, not Bittersweet, not Tragic... just Horrible

*err... by definition, horrible does sort of mean tragic... but then let's just assume that horrible is worst than tragic?... what?*

so yeah, should I choose to start reading the manga, I'm pretty sure that's how it will go... I'm pretty sure I'd be immensely satisfied as well

]

I really need to get my grubby hands on the manga soon... Mad
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:18 am Reply with quote
The manga is very good. But just to throw a differing opinion out there-- there is much that I preferred about the anime show over the manga, for the period of time that the show covered.

The art in the manga _is_ very good, particularly as the manga has evolved.

But I thought the music in the show was superb, and frankly, I didn't really mind most (not all) but most of what they cut. I thought it streamlined the story and kept to the essentials-- thus things like spoiler[cutting puck, the fight with the count, the fight with the kings super-fighters in the sewers, and the fight with Wyld ]were things I didn't really miss. I missed spoiler[Skullknight]. That was about it.

You know the 13 or 14th volume was out when they made the show, to my understanding, so it's not as if they couldn't have made a more "common/ western-style" ending. It seems to me that they _chose_ to end it were they did for dramatic effect.

But each to their own-- every time this sort of thread comes up, somone says "It's just a commerical for the far better manga" and then I extol the virtues of the show versus the manga. And then the conversation seems to die, and no one replies. Same ol, same ol'. Wink
DKL

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:05 am Reply with quote
Steve Berry wrote:

It seems to me that they _chose_ to end it were they did for dramatic effect.

and that it does... good god, and that it does
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10