• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What does this hand sign mean?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smutchi

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote
There's another hand sign I was wondering about:
What does it mean when a woman spreads her fingers in front of her face and licks them? I've seen this in Mai HiME (Nao) and also in Tsubasa Chronicle (?). They both had quite long nails, too.
Is it only an allusion to cats? Or does it mean nothing specific (other than what's obvious)?
Gauss

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:05 am Reply with quote
What about the one where they stick out their tongue while dragging down the lower eyelid of an eye. Is it simply a gesture meaning "fooled ya"?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:38 pm Reply with quote
smutchi wrote:
There's another hand sign I was wondering about:
What does it mean when a woman spreads her fingers in front of her face and licks them? I've seen this in Mai HiME (Nao) and also in Tsubasa Chronicle (?). They both had quite long nails, too.
Is it only an allusion to cats? Or does it mean nothing specific (other than what's obvious)?

Yes, I'd evaluate that as a strictly manga/anime gesture, an attempt to give the individual in question a certain feline/savage aura. Certainly, it's not a mainstream Japanese gesture.

Gauss wrote:
What about the one where they stick out their tongue while dragging down the lower eyelid of an eye. Is it simply a gesture meaning "fooled ya"?

This, on the other hand, is a mainstream gesture - and it's in the Lexicon. It's called akanbe (あかんべ), and it consists of pulling down one lower eyelid to show the red inside, while sticking out one's tongue. It's often (but not invariably) associated with the optional vocalization "Behhh-dah!" (べえだ!), the Japanese equivalent of "Nyah nyah nyah!".

I did a quick search using Google, and found this happy little plushie demonstrating an akanbe for you:

-abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
smutchi

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Thanks abunai, I knew I could count on you! Wink
Gauss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:20 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

This, on the other hand, is a mainstream gesture - and it's in the Lexicon. It's called akanbe (あかんべ), and it consists of pulling down one lower eyelid to show the red inside, while sticking out one's tongue. It's often (but not invariably) associated with the optional vocalization "Behhh-dah!" (べえだ!), the Japanese equivalent of "Nyah nyah nyah!".

-abunai

Right, but the Lexicon doesn't spell out what it means. Or is the actual meaning by and large determined by context? Sometimes it seems to be used as a way of saying "Gotcha!" and at other times "You think I would fall for that?". Is the common factor that they are all ways of calling somebody stupid?

BTW It comes across as cute in a black and white manga but in real life it looks rather creepy due to the red eyelid.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
Right, but the Lexicon doesn't spell out what it means.

It does now. Thanks for calling attention to that.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2