Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 1st 12 Kingdoms Book in 12 Years to Ship in July




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
tuxedocat
He started itHe started it


Joined: 14 Dec 2009
Posts: 2118

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:10 am Reply with quote
The 12 Kingdoms is special to me, but I have mixed feelings about this. I'm overjoyed that she is writing more, but unhappy with the realization that it likely won't be published here.

I hope it sells like crazy in Japan once it is released. Maybe she will write more.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
tasogarenootome



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 548

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:41 am Reply with quote
Did the series get a proper ending in Japan? Or was it just one where the author had to leave it hanging?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ianiceboy



Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 26

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:58 am Reply with quote
Having finished the anime series based on the earlier books for the first time two days ago, I'm so glad that the author has not forgotten about this story. It uniquely felt satisfying and left me wanting more at the same time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Juno016



Joined: 09 Jan 2012
Posts: 1209

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:49 am Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
Did the series get a proper ending in Japan? Or was it just one where the author had to leave it hanging?


It was mostly just a collection of stories from the 12 lands in the setting, so there is little overall story to pay that much attention to unless the stories cross over or continue each other, but the series was left "incomplete" by Ono's standards after the 6th book. She's wanted to continue it for a long time, but there were issues with her publishers at the time and she had other things to do as well.

I'm excited for this! I hope they release more in English at some point, though...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Myaow



Joined: 20 Dec 2007
Posts: 1054

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:59 am Reply with quote
Super exciting! I've hoped and wished that Ono could continue the 12 Kingdoms for a long time now-- even if we never get to read to the end, the knowledge that she wasn't able to finish her work always left me unsatisfied and it's good to see that change (maybe)!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spotlesseden



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Posts: 2842
Location: earth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:17 am Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
Did the series get a proper ending in Japan? Or was it just one where the author had to leave it hanging?


what kind of ending do you want. There is no single big event or one main character. Each story has different mains and their own story.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rabrek



Joined: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 174

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:32 am Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
Super exciting! I've hoped and wished that Ono could continue the 12 Kingdoms for a long time now-- even if we never get to read to the end, the knowledge that she wasn't able to finish her work always left me unsatisfied and it's good to see that change (maybe)!
This. I still would very much like to know how Taiki's story plays out. Knowing we're unlikely to see a full translation published in English, I'd be pleased to read even short summaries should Ono return to the books. Broad strokes would scratch the itch.

This collection might auger well for the future of the series. As it appears there's enough interest to publish a volume of this sort, I'll leave my cautious optimism on simmer.


Spotlesseden wrote:
tasogarenootome wrote:
Did the series get a proper ending in Japan? Or was it just one where the author had to leave it hanging?

what kind of ending do you want. There is no single big event or one main character. Each story has different mains and their own story.

Taiki's left hanging in a big way. The kirin is diminished and damaged, and deprived of the support of his shirei (who grew... dangerous while he was lost). King Gyousou is missing. There's been no proper ending where the kingdom of Tai is concerned.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
classicalzawa
Space CowboySpace Cowboy


Joined: 19 Jan 2008
Posts: 4915

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:10 pm Reply with quote
*gasp* Awesome! Sure, I probably won't be able to read it, but maybe it'll make them make more anime, as the anime was damn good! Maybe we should convince Yen or Vertical to bring over the novels... we never got more than what was animated in the first place, seems kinda a rip.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
BonnKansan



Joined: 17 Feb 2008
Posts: 112

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Tokyopop licensed and released the first four volumes of the 11-book light novel series between 2007 and 2010.


To clarify, the four novels Tokyopop released covered 8 of the Japanese books; the original release was 6 novels, 5 of which were split into two books, plus a final collection of short stories. Looking forward to reading these new ones!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Juno016



Joined: 09 Jan 2012
Posts: 1209

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:21 am Reply with quote
BonnKansan wrote:
Quote:
Tokyopop licensed and released the first four volumes of the 11-book light novel series between 2007 and 2010.


To clarify, the four novels Tokyopop released covered 8 of the Japanese books; the original release was 6 novels, 5 of which were split into two books, plus a final collection of short stories. Looking forward to reading these new ones!


That's being technical. In actuality, the split books were released together anyway. Why split them? Because the editions need to fit in peoples' business pockets or be easier to carry around. People prefer them that way in Japan, at least, and it's become tradition. So even though they have been split, they still consider the books one volume.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BonnKansan



Joined: 17 Feb 2008
Posts: 112

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
BonnKansan wrote:
Quote:
Tokyopop licensed and released the first four volumes of the 11-book light novel series between 2007 and 2010.


To clarify, the four novels Tokyopop released covered 8 of the Japanese books; the original release was 6 novels, 5 of which were split into two books, plus a final collection of short stories. Looking forward to reading these new ones!


That's being technical. In actuality, the split books were released together anyway. Why split them? Because the editions need to fit in peoples' business pockets or be easier to carry around. People prefer them that way in Japan, at least, and it's become tradition. So even though they have been split, they still consider the books one volume.


Right, I was just clarifying because "the first four volumes of the 11-book light novel series" makes it sound like they released much less of the series than they actually did. There's only two novels and one short-story collection that weren't released - pretty sad they stopped short, since the next novel's awesome, and didn't get animated either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group