• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Lost Decade

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Great list! Smile

I'm also glad to see more recognition for Kaiji. It definitely was underrated and incredibly well paced. Although, I do have to disagree about it being cheaply animated as it had a pretty good budget and the human horse race arc looked incredible! Smile

And to that I say...Toole *sob* *sob* Tooooooolllle!!!!!!!!
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Well, I would argue Hiroyuki Imaishi already did so years ago. Kanada inspired plenty of people, including Koike, but Imaishi is clearly his successor*. Even if Imaishi has been more of a director these past few years than Kanada ever was during his entire career.

What Kanada did was never about direction, but about animation - kinda like Koji Morimoto, who is absolutely brilliant but struggles with projects bigger than a short OVA. I don't think there's an absolute line of succession, either - Imaishi is certainly the Kanada du jour, to coin an absolutely absurd phrase, but you cite Yamashita and IMO Imaishi and Koike's styles are quite complimentary. I don't think Dead Lives would've turned out as good as it did if Imaishi didn't have Koike as one of his lieutenants.

Quote:
The fact that nothing that Masaaki Yuasa has directed has ever brought over here is a true mark of shame on the R1 industry.

Have to agree. You'd think ONE of his projects would've made it over, right? I mean, for christ's sake, we got Tobe Isami!

Covnam wrote:
Just a bit curious Mike as why you chose the film strip layout with a few screen shots stuck together from the various series instead of with the actual series themselves?

I don't really have control over page layout, and I wanted to keep it simple. The ten images correspond to the ten titles, so just count 'em down if you get confused. Use Dogtato as a reference point, because it's pretty obvious which one it is.

Lord Geo wrote:
Mike, how could you mention how Kaiji was available over here streamed for a bit, but not mention how Re: Cutie Honey and Macross Zero actually were on the plate for licensing at some point.

Didn't see the need to include what amounted to hearsay.

Shin Getter vs. Neo Getter would make for another honorable mention. That OVA set is lean, mean, and awesome!

GATSU wrote:
I always thought the issue was that Bandai Visual doesn't believe in honoring HG's license, because it wants to cut out the middle-men and release the series itself.

That's kinda the gist of it, but HG won the court case and has the rights to the name in the US. Personally, I think BV and Big West could win it back by pointing at the plethora of non-HG Macross products around the world, including inside the US, but it would probably involve a costly legal battle and anime companies are desperately afraid of anything that seems like it would generate negative publicity.

Nasu was pretty good, but I'm a cyclist and I wasn't blown away by it. It can't touch Breaking Away ;) As for Ring ni Kakero, it seems like a quality show but Hajime no Ippo pretty much pancaked in every way, shape, and fashion. Doesn't seem like it'd be a contender to me.

NJ_ wrote:
Psycho_Despair wrote:
Ugh, someone should save Saint Seiya it is a series that should be finished!

Agreed and it's been known for a while that DiC/Cookie Jar's license has expired so why nobody jumped at saving this series by now is beyond me.

DIC's initial campaign involved toys, major network airtime, and a marketing push. Toei is probably stupidly still expecting this kind of commitment; that, or ADV's release didn't sell to expectations.

KabaKabaFruit wrote:

And to that I say...Toole *sob* *sob* Tooooooolllle!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the great feedback, everyone. An awful lot of good shows are going to waste, aren't they?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
slykura

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Mind Game IS available, although only in Australia / New Zealand

http://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/view/7416
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
As for Ring ni Kakero, it seems like a quality show but Hajime no Ippo pretty much pancaked in every way, shape, and fashion. Doesn't seem like it'd be a contender to me.

Well, you still have to remember that Ippo was 75 episodes + a movie released across 16 DVDs, complete with two dubs (English & Spanish). Even if it were released straight to boxsets it would have been a tough sell. In comparison Ring ni Kakero is presently at 30 episodes across three individual seasons; if you want to consider when Ippo was being released, RnK was at 26 episodes across two seasons, which would translate to 6-8 DVD singles, depending on how many singles were used for each season. No matter how you put it RnK would be the easier title to commit to in the end. I love Ippo, but 16 DVD singles is something that's hard to immediately say "Yes, I'll buy all of them" to right away.

Also, Ring ni Kakero and Hajime no Ippo are completly different in terms of how they both handle boxing. Ippo is the semi-realistic depiction of a boy's/man's rise in the ranks while Ring ni Kakero is, as Andrew Cunningham best puts it, "The Giant Robo of Boxing Anime". RnK is pretty much a shonen fighting anime that uses boxing as its style of choice rather than the usual martial arts, swords, guns, "spirit", etc. Same genre, but different style, much like how real robots and super robots are both mechs, but few would readily use one style to immediately judge the other.

Plus, Mike, you didn't really indicate which era you were considering when you listed the shows you felt would have been somewhat successful. Were you using the anime boom era of dual-audio DVD singles or were you thinking more along the lines of the more recent era where DVD releases are mostly in boxset form and can either be dual-audio or sub-only. You mention English dubbing for some titles, but that is somewhat of a question mark overall.

I'm not saying that Ring ni Kakero would of been or could be a giant hit, but taken realistically (read: more than likely released in sub-only sets) the title could be the kind of release that can hit that "cult" status that can sustain it well enough in the long run. Only Sentai seems to be willing to try out sports anime via sub-only releases, and they've already done/are doing two. We'll just have to see if they feel it's worth doing more.
gwdone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I would have liked to have seen Pale Cocoon over here. Wonderful artwork and a strange story as well. All one episodes I've been able to check out blew me away.

I can't thank ANN enough for putting out the balance of Monster. It was long, but I had already invested in box set #1 and kept waiting and waiting,, then here comes up to and including 72 episodes!!! Hats off to ANN for getting this over here. I would still purchase it if the balance of the series were released on dvd.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:17 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I see, so when I suggest that the price is absurd in the other thread I get "Duh! It's not a R1 release! It's just an import!!!". Then when I suggest that we haven't gotten an R1 release I get "Rolling Eyes We are getting an R1 release silly!"

Lovely little piece of doublethink there.

It's only doublethink if the same person said it. I never said anything about it not being R1 and instead being import. The internet is not a single gestalt mind.

Quote:
Now look, as I recall there was already a whole big sprawling clusterfuck of a discussion about this before where I explained my point of view and addressed the issues you're again raising. Hence, I'm not going to derail this thread by getting into a whole new clusterfuck of a debate over the Funimation/noitaminA issue. That isn't the issue this topic is about and it's only partially related to the topic I was addressing. The topic was about shows that haven't for the R1 release they deserve. The shows I mentioned have not been licensed for an R1 release. I think they deserve one. Simple enough no?

Please send me a link, because I don't recall this conversation.

Also, I don't see how it's off-topic at all, or not a legitimate response to your statement. You accused Funimation of somehow being to blame for half the titles he listed here being unreleased (the noitaminA ones) without offering any evidence to support your argument. Support it. It will be fun. Very Happy
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Toole:
Quote:
That's kinda the gist of it, but HG won the court case and has the rights to the name in the US. Personally, I think BV and Big West could win it back by pointing at the plethora of non-HG Macross products around the world, including inside the US, but it would probably involve a costly legal battle and anime companies are desperately afraid of anything that seems like it would generate negative publicity.

Considering what the record companies were demanding for M7 alone [At AX, they told me that to bring that one over here, they'd have to have multiple companies paying for it, and release it at two eps a pop. Mad ], I don't necessarily feel bad about BV not distributing Macross here. Toei and Yamato might be a different story, though.

Last edited by GATSU on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
I don't think I can get through all this without putting in my two cents. I've got two titles that I think have been grossly underrated (in my not-so-humble opinion).

First is Hyakko. I don't know what it is about this series, but it just cracks me up! I know that a bizarre, slice-of-life comedy about school girls wouldn't stack up well after Azumanga Daioh, but I think this would be one that could definitely be released sub-only. I'd still buy it.

Second is Shangri-La, the big Studio GONZO series that I figured was a shoe-in for being licensed. By anybody. Two years pass and nothing comes of it. I seriously think this could get adult swim airtime, it's that good.

Now I know that both of these are available on CrunchyRoll, but it doesn't change the fact that they are great series that deserve more than to simply languish in the massive archives of CR.

Glad to see Shangri-La's mention before me, I loved that show and thought it was a shoe-in as well especially with the Funimation connection releasing Gonzo shows, I really want own that on dual-language dvd/bd. C'mon Funimation, please still do it now that Gonzo's starting up again.

I agree about Hyakko, I loved Azumanga Diaoh, and miss actual straight comedies like these and Cromartie High School, generally speaking all the comedies these days have to be latched on to romantic comedies which is ashame.

penguintruth wrote:
What about Ryoko's Case File? A bit in the vein of The X-Files by way of Darker than Black, or maybe more like Occult Academy with guns. It wasn't spectacular or anything, but a decent show from the six episodes I saw of it. It seems like something Funimation would license and cast Laura Bailey and Todd Haberkorn in.

Joe Mello wrote:
A better analog may be a light-hearted anime version of Fringe but Ryoko came first.

Woah, great rare mention, I'm glad more people have seen this, more need to see this nice little investigation series, I'd love to see it with a nice dub.

NJ_ wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Re: Cutie Honey is the one anime I have no idea why it was never brought over. It's sexy, well animated, funny and got an original style to it. I mean you could easily sell it here, Hideaki Anno and his love of fanservice, Hiroyuki Imaishi trying, a co-production by Gainax that doesn't suck, lesbians!

Just another reason to hate Toei especially since they didn't give the license to anyone after FUNimation sent C&D's on their behalf. Mad

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-04-04/website-removed-re-cutie-honey-citing-license

Yeah, man how annoying, C&D's and yet years later and never brought over. Sad
gamersglory

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:24 pm Reply with quote
aquaofthewater wrote:
Oh man. The love given to Michiko and Hatchin. I'm still amazed this show hasn't been brought over.

Thought that would be a shoe in for Adult Swim. It does have a cowboy bebop quality to it. One of the few animes that made AS money. But sence thay hate anime now guess not
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:48 pm Reply with quote
How about Basquash? Lots of flashy fun, and surprisingly complex for what could be just another shonen anime.

DangerMouse wrote:
bj_waters wrote:
First is Hyakko. I don't know what it is about this series, but it just cracks me up! I know that a bizarre, slice-of-life comedy about school girls wouldn't stack up well after Azumanga Daioh, but I think this would be one that could definitely be released sub-only. I'd still buy it.

I agree about Hyakko, I loved Azumanga Diaoh, and miss actual straight comedies like these and Cromartie High School, generally speaking all the comedies these days have to be latched on to romantic comedies which is ashame.

Hyakko was actually pretty good at what little drama it tried to tackle as well.

And speaking of straight comedies; Potemayo. It's cute and very funny. I'm sure they could sell tons of plush toys and crap, too.

And how could Detroit Metal City not have come out here?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
How about Basquash? Lots of flashy fun, and surprisingly complex for what could be just another shonen anime.

The animation was mind-blowingly detailed and rich, but I must say that the episode that was 50% shots of a woman's impossibly large breasts pretty much killed my interest in the show -- that and the overall shallow characterization. Basquash was, barring some huge change after about 6 episodes, a waste of a phenomenal art team (and budget) on a really mediocre story.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:04 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Fronzel wrote:

The animation was mind-blowingly detailed and rich, but I must say that the episode that was 50% shots of a woman's impossibly large breasts pretty much killed my interest in the show -- that and the overall shallow characterization. Basquash was, barring some huge change after about 6 episodes, a waste of a phenomenal art team (and budget) on a really mediocre story.

It's literally just that episode that's like that. For breasts that absurdly huge, the characters don't pay that much attention to them.

And you totally stopped too soon. I'm watching it right now, actually, and it's developing a story about how new culture tends to be invaded and controlled by the already rich and powerful.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:25 am Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Now, if Rightstuf, Section23, etc. start licensing the vast backlog of unlicensed noitaminA series (Nodame Cantabile, Haraki Man, Mononoke, Moyashimon, Hakaba Kitarou, Library Wars, Antique Bakery, Tale of Genji, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, and Trapeze), which would be awesome, then you can start complaining about Funimation screwing over noitaminA.

Antique Bakery was licensed by Rightstuf and they do still plan on releasing it (I asked them on twitter awhile back and have the tweet saved, just don't know how to link to it) so that's one less title. And I thin that one of the Library Wars manga was licensed by Viz (I think it was the shojo one) so I always thought that meant they were going to grab the anime as well. Actually, I'd love it if CR could get streaming rights for these series so more people are introduced to them and maybe that would generate enough interest for DVD sales?

And I'm also seconding Time of Eve, I had really hoped that it was more likely to get licensed once it was re-released as a movie (and apparently a good one!) but it looks like we're out of luck there too.
I think the way that the article phrased it was "and most of the best stuff from the past season or two has at least gotten simulcasted. The part of the decade when anime DVD sales started to decline, but before streaming sites got up to speed, is a blind spot."

Time of Eve got, in the terms of the article, a "legit, accessible release". Ditto House of Five Leaves, Giant Killing, and a number of others that may or may not get an R1 DVD release ~ and regarding which it is simply too early to say whether or not they will get an R1 DVD release.

A series like Kara no Kyoukai is getting a legit import release, if not what one could call a legit accessible release ~ but it would be premature to rule out a legit, accessible release. After all, a less breakneck pace of license and release of some DVD box sets is a natural consequence of the general reduction in prices in the marketplace for general R1 releases.

Mind, hypothetically, someone could, in effect, complain that R1 distributors do not rush to license things before they are done and get into bidding wars in which the winners of the license is always the commercial loser, dubbing everything in the hope of getting a hit on television, resulting in a lot of good stuff getting licensed in a much larger pile of financial regret getting licensed.

Also, hypothetically, one could complain that DVD distributors have to set their sights on the prices that American consumers are willing to pay for series, and that they simply must start putting out full series boxsets at $20~$30 if they expect to make headway in the market.

However, one can not simultaneously demand that R1 distributors trim their sail to fit their cloth, and demand that they license series with reckless abandon and push out releases at breakneck pace. Demanding both at the same time, hypothetically, would be contradictory.

So our best hope for broad and early legit, accessible releases are streams. That's not enough for a complete anime ecosystem by any means, but under modern conditions its an essential part of one.
staab99

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see Bartender release here, but then again it wouldn't sell very well here.
Bingal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm utterly baffled on how Michiko to Hatchin hasn't been licensed yet. It's already been 3 years after its broacast on the regrettably forsaken and unloved Noise time block, and still there's no way to get it officially without importing the way too expensive R1 releases. A bloody shame considering this is exactly the type of anime that has a very high change to be a sure-fire hit in the West going by its main appeal and aesthetics.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7