• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Now Streaming: Rideback 1-12 (s)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lordziba

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Just want to point out this is yet another military bike anime (although more like rebel in this case), following the traditions of Viper Creed and Blassreiter. Interesting idea to amalgamate the classic ballet moves as the combat martial art with humanoid semi-transformable motorcycle!
billk1928

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:49 pm Reply with quote
The animation is good, with the ballet moves caught (for the most part) in great detail. Our heroine, Rin, quickly discovers a compensation for her body's betrayal and refusal to accept the stage, which she thought was her goal in life.
One frustration after another happens to her throughout the show. Some are maddeningly normal, others bizarre and still more downright terrifying.
spoiler[And in the end, nothing really changes, except a corrupt GGP officer is dealt with. But the GGP itself is nonetheless still very much in charge of the world. This is no doubt Rin's ultimate frustration.
Maybe the show is an allegory, with Rin representing Japan, which is constantly under the thumb of the United States, here portrayed as the GGP. And no matter how hard Rin/Japan tries to get rid of the GGP/USA, it stays around, never really going away, always reassuring Rin/Japan that they act in her/its best interest.]

But the beauty of combining a quirky and unique transformable motorcycle with a disgruntled ex-ballerina does give the viewer many moments of delight, both visually and emotionally.
I heartily recommend this show to any and all.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Lord_Ziba wrote:
following the traditions of Viper Creed

Didn't that come out the same season as Rideback? Wink

I really enjoyed the series (I plan to buy it so I do intend to watch the stream), it goes from fun to intense pretty quickly. the political stuff tends to get a little deep, but it's more important to remember who's part of what organization (not necessarily its name) and who's related to who. What I really liked about this series is that it incorporated the "bikes" into a very real world setting rather than cyberpunk. Remove the ridebacks and the world isn't that much different from our own.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm really annoyed that there's apparently no Blu-ray release forthcoming for this show. Funimation might pull a Soul Eater and release it on the format later, with any luck. It's a good-looking show that I'd really prefer to see in hi-def.

The Rideback itself is a cool mecha, sort of a cross between a Labor and Priss' Motoslave from the original Bubblegum Crisis. One thing I couldn't help but notice with this show is wide gulf separating the ages of the characters in their designs, especially apparent in the women. The young characters are mostly twiggy and tiny, whereas the adult characters (or the tough tomboy Rideback biker) are all full-figured Amazons. The big-nosed Batou-like character is way bigger and tougher-looking than the guys in the Rideback club, too.

It's a neat show. Not the best ever made, but definitely worth watching for fans of mecha that don't mind a bit of shojo floweriness.
Lordziba

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys, suddenly I remember something -- Venus Wars. I think that Venus Wars and original Bubblegum(s), Robotech Next Generation/Mospeada, brought the value of motorcycle/cyclone as an efficient combat unit. Although I would not fight heavy tanks in the open field. The motor-slaves/cyclones most suited for the urban combat by the some sort of security or armed police/SWAT units than the regular army. Something to note, I was watching Macross Frontier, where the down Valkyrie pilot could continue to fight by heaving flaying exoskeleton which heavy remind me the Shadow Chronicles/Mospeada and the flaying cyclones performed the similar tasks and looked cooler! I guess the new Macross cannot so much be a copycat of the older version or even Robotech Smile.

Cheers, and Happy New Year!
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:34 am Reply with quote
Watched the series last week over 2 days and enjoyed it immensely. I plan to buy the dvd set when it's released but so much good material is hitting the market concurrently I'll have to prioritize.....refreshing dilemma considering past when lackluster anime seemed the norm.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I watched Rideback back when it aired, and later bought the first two Japanese BD volumes when they were released. I want to own this series in full, but unless Funi releases a BD set, I will not be purchasing a US release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1