• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Barnes & Noble Closes Stores in Major U.S. Cities

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
In some ways this doesn't surprise me. I'm a frequent shopper at Barnes and Noble and am a member as well. I love the place, but I've often been a little perplexed by their placement strategy when it comes to their stores.

I recently moved from the southern suburbs of the city up to the northern suburbs of the city. Now our suburbs spread pretty evenly all the way around and the area I moved to is almost the exact same spot in the north as I was living in the south with only a few blocks difference. When I was in the southern suburbs I had 6 Barnes and Noble stores all within a very reasonable drive (15 minutes at most). After moving to the northern suburbs I now have only 2 not only within that same distance, but in the entire northern suburban area of the city entirely. Down on one side of the city you had an over-abundance of the stores, and then on the other side you can hardly even find one. The population densities are similar on both sides and I would actually say that here on the north side there is a larger abundance of shopping districts in my area in which to build these stores.

It just doesn't shock me to hear they need to close some stores when their store placement strategy has been as seemingly suspect as it has. I'm hopeful it doesn't become a spiral downward as I really do like the stores, but I can't say I didn't see this coming. Of course, interestingly enough it doesn't look like those closures are occurring in my area.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:52 pm Reply with quote
If this kills more manga companies dead I will be so angry.
FMABleach

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:31 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
If this kills more manga companies dead I will be so angry.

Yeah, the last time a bookstore closed (Borders), we lost Bandai. With Barnes & Noble, who knows who we will lose this time. Sad
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:59 am Reply with quote
Not good. However, not surprising considering a huge majority of people are reading digitally now.

I think that as the number of readers attached to physical books diminish, we're heading towards the day where there might be a few physical art and photography books and that might be it.

I think brick and mortar bookstores are slowly on the way out. When the day comes that Barnes & Noble stores are no longer there and we're buying everything online, I'll miss being able to browse. I hope the online stores develop a good browsing equivalent, because they might get sales from people who didn't know that certain books existed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4