• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Princess Jellyfish Episodes 1-11 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iatheia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:26 am Reply with quote
Did the fact that the seiyu is female really came of as a surprise? I figured it out in the first episode, without looking into the credits. Women have a very specific timbre to their voice when it is lowered so much. Men, on the other hand, usually make their voice sound a bit higher than their usual speaking voice, particularly when they want to emphasize the femininity of the character. So if it was really a guy voicing Kuranosuke, the voice would have been a bit highter.
I guess I'm used to it, then...

The ending song really is nice in the form presented. I don't care much for the full version, though, and even less for the PV version...
CookieBun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:35 pm Reply with quote
iatheia wrote:
Did the fact that the seiyu is female really came of as a surprise? I figured it out in the first episode, without looking into the credits. Women have a very specific timbre to their voice when it is lowered so much. Men, on the other hand, usually make their voice sound a bit higher than their usual speaking voice, particularly when they want to emphasize the femininity of the character. So if it was really a guy voicing Kuranosuke, the voice would have been a bit highter.

Umm what? Shocked
I've heard her other roles in different series and whether in this show or others, I would have never guessed she was a female. In fact I thought "Kurako" sounded so manly for a girl...but yea "she" turned out to be a guy. I was seriously surprised, and not "huh really" surprise but "OMG seriously???" surprise.
Saiga Mitsuki is unique in that unlike other male-voicing voice actresses, she can voice older males and still fool people. I love Paku Romi, but even she sounds weird with older boys.

(During the same week I learned about Saiga Mitsuki, I found out the singer Piko, who did Tegami Bachi REVERSE's ED, is a guy. His voice sounds so much like a woman! I had a passing thought that perhaps these two switched voices...Laughing )
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I think my major problem with this show was that it's just too damn short-I wanted at least 5 or 6 more episodes.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Whoa, I even looked up Kuranosuke's VA before to see if they were a guy or a girl and I still can't believe it. Guess I'm so used to guys that sound like girls that to hear a girl sound like a guy trying to sound like a girl just blows my mind. Anime dazed

Anyway, awesome show, the ending could've used another episode, and I think it had my favorite OP of 2010 in there.

Also interesting- She's done it before in a previous noitaminA show. This is a small spoiler because the character is not introduced as a cross-dresser- although it's not really a huge surprise when it's revealed.
spoiler[Kei Yūki in Moyashimon]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RapidEyeMovement

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Exactly where did the reviewer watch this? I can't find it on Crunchyroll. Confused
braves

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
RapidEyeMovement wrote:
Exactly where did the reviewer watch this? I can't find it on Crunchyroll. Confused
It was streamed by FUNimation as part of their deal with Fuji TV.

http://www.hulu.com/princess-jellyfish

http://www.youtube.com/show/princessjellyfish?s=1
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takeyo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Heck, ya don't even have to go off-site these days:

animenewsnetwork.com/video/10898/
dannah5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:47 am Reply with quote
I really really hope they make a second season, or at least release mangas to show whats gonna happen!
If I had a closure I would be really happy about the series, thats the only thing missing for me, I totally wanna know who is getting tsukimi's heart!! Shocked
RapidEyeMovement

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the links! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2