• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Ways Forward

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:55 am Reply with quote
I actually still own 3 of those 4 Square PSN games... the only one I don't have is Legend of Mana. Guess I cna save myself the download trouble Laughing Threads of Fate is great fun, though- I highly reccomend it to anyone looking for a lightweight Action RPG, and doesn't mind going a little old school. (And Mint is way more fun than Rue. Wink )

For the predictions: Honestly, if they really did announce a Guardian Legend sequel, I'd be a LOT more interested in the 3DS. I won't say I'd buy one... I typically require 3 games of interest released before getting a new system... but I'd be saving up, just in case.
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:39 pm Reply with quote
DX

Kingdom Hearts Re:coded was bloody, bloody terrible, and I really do hope no one here picks it up. Cause...well, cause, I like this site. :< I like the people in here (most of them). I like to believe in gaming integrity.

Re:c is a game with absolutely ZERO redeeming qualities. Not frakking one.

Now, The Last Story, I honestly believe will not disappoint. After all...who made and wrote Lost Odyssey? Smile
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:19 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
DX

Kingdom Hearts Re:coded was bloody, bloody terrible, and I really do hope no one here picks it up. Cause...well, cause, I like this site. :< I like the people in here (most of them). I like to believe in gaming integrity.

Re:c is a game with absolutely ZERO redeeming qualities. Not frakking one.

I like KH, so I'll be picking it up eventually.
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

I like KH, so I'll be picking it up eventually.

Don't to it. It's a trick.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and failure to be exactly what every Final Fantasy fan wanted.

By that logic every FF game VII and up (probably even earlier if the Internet existed since the first one) has been a failure. The FF fanbase is so insanely divided on what they want that some will start whining and making demands the moment the first concept art for the newest game appears.

That being said, what happened with XIV is an inexcusable mess. Geez, I hope they recover from that ordeal.
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:42 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

That being said, what happened with XIV is an inexcusable mess. Geez, I hope they recover from that ordeal.

Recovery, in their case, is the real ordeal. As in, next to impossible.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Todd wrote:
And we don't have to worry about being grossly inaccurate, because no one's going to remember these studiously educated guesses by the end of 2011

Hmm, lets take a look at Todd’s predictions for the year 2010.

SNK IN DIRE STRAITS
I don’t know how to measure this one. I couldn’t even find what SNK was listed as on the Tokyo Stock Exchange. You win this one by default, Mr. Ciolek.

LUNAR 3 FINALLY ANNOUNCED
No.

SEGA REVIVES SOMETHING OLD
Does After Burner count? It was just a re-release of the old game on PSN.

JAPANESE RPGS MAKE A COMEBACK
Todd cites Sakura Wars: So Long My Love as a test of the genre’s staying power. Perhaps he should have used the canary in the coal mine metaphor, because I think that title failed hard. I’m at work, so of course any site remotely involving the word game is blocked (ANN has slipped under the radar so far, fingers crossed) so I can’t find any sources, but didn’t NISA say that they wouldn’t even try to bring any more Sakura Wars games here?

Eh, I give him a pass. Close enough. ANN should get him a fancy hat or a T-shirt that says as much that he can wear to cons and expos and such. Wink
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:31 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:

SEGA REVIVES SOMETHING OLD
Does After Burner count? It was just a re-release of the old game on PSN.

It should, since it was more or less like a complete remake.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Was it? I was under the impression that it was just a copy of the same game, like all those PS1 ports into the PSN. If it was a complete remake, then it defnintely counts, and Todd should get the hat and the shirt.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote
When people are more interested in the PSN releases of games you made 10 years ago, you know you're in trouble. SE is now bleeding cash because of FFXIV and XIII was a mess that had some of the most godawful storytelling in the franchise's history. As for XV being on the 3DS, that's an interesting theory but Square has a tendency to want to show off more than their Enix counterparts.

The Last Story I'm definitely looking forward to as its battle system looks great and I've been craving a back to basics approach to the JRPG as opposed to all this neo-fantasy gook that the genre keeps perpetuating over and over again
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Xenogears mentions sure takes me back to my early college years (that's about a decade ago). Loved it while I was playing it, but wouldn't even DARE attempt a second playthrough. The game is just so damned long.

As for the Mana series. I loved Secret of Mana, but I realize it's dated and ALL the games are certainly very average at best if played solo. But I played it with siblings during my high school years and it was great time wasting fun that gave me and my sis some quality non-arguing bonding time (unless she refused to revive me when I died). Laughing
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm so going to get that Xenogears album. About damn time they gave that game a swift musical upgrade boot. The last arranged album was by One Up Studios and that's just fanmade.

PSN: Let me just say that this was a very good move on their part. Vagrant Story was the only one of those I didn't play, but releasing Xenogears and two of the three Summer of Adventure RPGs is a smart move. Threads of Fate still screams for an official sequel, but I know Square will never figure that out.

Soul Calibur: Let's not forget the atrocious Soul Calibur Legends, which most only played because Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia was playable in it. It's true, ask anyone or check those YouTube comments.

Virtual On Force: Wow a region-free 360 game? Could this be a late Christmas miracle?

Last Story: Between the two, I'm not sure which game would really appeal more. People still want Xenoblade but Last Story might be more of an attention-grabber here.

Quote:
The game's style blends anime-eyed looks with a more realistic sense, and that's not always popular with Japanese audiences.

It's not like every Japanese gamer wants anime style in all their games, although blending anime with realism has resulted in horrible abominations before (Star Ocean 4, ugh!).

Final Fantasy: Personally I don't think the world would weep if FF finally got the axe. The series has gone on for far too long (they should have stopped at X-2 though many wanted it to end at VIII); all these guys keep doing is reinventing the wheel and ending up with a final product which doesn't even resemble a wheel anymore. Of course there are both casuals and diehards who vehemently defend their precious FF11 or 13 when it gets ripped on, but really Square could move on to some new idea. I wouldn't think less of them, in fact I'd respect them for that.

Sequels Flop: You'd be quite surprised how many have been begging for MML3 all these years. It's all the MM fan community ever talked about (don't get me wrong, X still needs an X9, but I digress) and now that it's being delivered it'll probably keep Capcom fans happy until they decide they want a sequel for the Tron Bonne game. As for Kid Icarus/Pit, yes that Captain N cartoon ruined a lot of what made old gaming icons awesome but his involvement in Brawl is what really opened everyone's eyes up.

KH Coded: Seeing as I don't own a DS, this one won't be a concern for me (really, you could skip 358/2 Days and not really be missing much). I'm sure the message boards will be filled with questions about how to do this area and stupid challenge mode topics soon. People are still playing their Birth by Sleep copies whether Japanese (for the impatient seiyu-loving weeaboos who have to hack bad English into the game) or English (for those of us who actually waited for a localization), and I'm sure the Final Mix version is what will keep fans happy.

Prinny 2: Really, the best plot they could come up with is finding Etna's panties? What kind of loser would steal her panties anyway? All Etna's been good for is appearing outside of Disgaea (Cross Edge, Phantom Brave, Trinity Universe) and even then I wouldn't be handing out awards to her. As for the Prinnies, well they never catch a break. My question though is if the Prinnies die gruesomely when they get hit.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote
@Belvadeer. Etna is good for many things...dragging fans into the series, annoying the hell out of laharl, arguably being just a big a mascot for Disgaea as the Prinnies, how dare you call her useless..I challenge you to a duel good sir! lol. But yea, prinny 2 does look like a fun game...and I belive its some tall piglike demon that stole her panties...calling them a "Rare Item" or somesuch, if I remember the trailer correctly. I myself love the Disgaea Franchise, its silly fun JRPG action and the Prinny Spin-off games are equally enjoyable..even if the 1st one is as hard as some of the older megaman games (at least to me it was.) But yea, can't wait for prinny 2. As for KH; Recoded, yea its obviously sub-par compared to the rest of the series, but what do you expect of a beefed-up port of a cellphone game, meh, I play KH games for the story anyway. I personally can't wait to get both next Tuesday. Very Happy
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:10 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Final Fantasy: Personally I don't think the world would weep if FF finally got the axe. The series has gone on for far too long (they should have stopped at X-2 though many wanted it to end at VIII); all these guys keep doing is reinventing the wheel and ending up with a final product which doesn't even resemble a wheel anymore. Of course there are both casuals and diehards who vehemently defend their precious FF11 or 13 when it gets ripped on, but really Square could move on to some new idea. I wouldn't think less of them, in fact I'd respect them for that.

I kinda abandoned being a hardcore FF fan after VI (though I did enjoy IX) but I don't know that this series "needs" to end. After all, each game stands on its own (aside from X-2) and the only thing the same is the name. To me, it sounds more like fans are just getting tired of the name. If FF ended at VIII, games "like" FF IX, X, XI, XII, XIII still would have been made, except under different names. Would you guys have liked XI or XIV better if they weren't called "Final Fantasy"? Probably not, but you wouldn't have slammed it as much either.

Even though I don't like FF as much now (it's mostly the general tone and "look" of the current games that turn me off, not the gameplay), I realize that each installment still brings in new fans, and I can't fault them for not being different once in a while because some of the later games, like XII, ARE quite different. It's a bankable name, it's their cash-cow. Even if hardcore fans are tired of the name, the fact is if you took out the name these games would have still been made under a different name somehow.

Anyway, Zelda is probably even more resistant to change than FF, and most people (like me) still aren't tired of it. I can play every Zelda ever made with the same level of pleasure even though I know I'm basically playing the same games over and over ("All right. Got the hook shot. Now to use it in this dungeon, wonder what its use is in the boss of this dungeon, etc,")

Laughing
Eivion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know know there were people out there who actually hate Xenogears.

Wouldn't say it was good, but I loved Legend of Mana, just terribly fun to play even without a real plot going on.

I've always been under the impression that Final Fantasy was Square's flagship title. With the comments being made in the article and here, is that no longer the case? I only ask because I can't see them doing any of the suggestions made in the article if it still is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4