Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Central Reports


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
kusanagi-sama



Joined: 22 Aug 2004
Posts: 1683
Location: Wichita Falls, TX

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the near future, Funimation will definitely be considering acquiring other older properties, both those that have not been licensed in the U.S. to date and those that had been at some point, but saw treatment that was far from ideal. The overall reason Jon Baumgartner gave for this step on Funimation's part with respect to Slayers was a desire to "maintain the integrity of the property."


I really like this idea. FUNimation has apparently changed with their merger, and is being very respectful to older anime series that weren't treated well in their initial release.

Maybe they'll aquire Gunbuster from Manga since Manga isn't doing anything with it. Oh, and also Macross: Do you Remember Love since it was Best Video that hacked it to death.

Macross DYRL wrote:
Released in English as "Clash of the Bionoids" (edited/90min) and "Super Space Fortress Macross" (unedited) by Best Film & Video

The English dub released by Best Video was produced in Japan, using Japanese voice actors and targeted at the Japanese market


Last edited by kusanagi-sama on Tue May 17, 2005 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
DragonsRevenge



Joined: 15 Nov 2004
Posts: 1150

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I like the CPM jobs just fine. Like hell I'm gonna go and buy every single DVD separately.

One thing that annoyed me was Ganeon's announcement for Cossette. It's only 3 Episodes at like 35 minutes each.. why the hell release it in anymore than one DVD? And probably 30 bucks a pop. F*** 'em. I'm keeping my fansubs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kusanagi-sama



Joined: 22 Aug 2004
Posts: 1683
Location: Wichita Falls, TX

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Maybe that was an error in the report, since it makes sense to put all 3 on one DVD.

Oh, and the only place you would find a anime DVD at full MSRP is Suncoast/MediaPlay. BestBuy and every online retailer sells it for less than MSRP.


Last edited by kusanagi-sama on Tue May 17, 2005 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
ahuang



Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 1
Location: Long Beach, CA

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:28 pm Reply with quote
There appears to be some misinformation floating around, and we apologize for the confusion.

DearS will be 13 episodes on 4 volumes, not 3, at the stated price point of $24.98. Petite Cossette is a single-volume release, all three episodes on one DVD, not multiple discs. Tokyo Underground will be 26 episodes on 6 volumes, not 7.

Also, Jason's last name is spelled Alnas, not Alnis.

Thank you very much.

Edit: My signature is not appearing for some reason, so I will enter it manually here, just to let you know who exactly I am.

Andrew Huang
Geneon Entertainment (USA) Inc.
Business Development Administrator
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
CorneredAngel



Joined: 17 Jun 2002
Posts: 720
Location: New York, NY

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:36 pm Reply with quote
ahuang wrote:
There appears to be some misinformation floating around, and we apologize for the confusion.

DearS will be 13 episodes on 4 volumes, not 3, at the stated price point of $24.98. Petite Cossette is a single-volume release, all three episodes on one DVD, not multiple discs. Tokyo Underground will be 26 episodes on 6 volumes, not 7.

Also, Jason's last name is spelled Alnas, not Alnis.

Thank you very much.

Edit: My signature is not appearing for some reason, so I will enter it manually here, just to let you know who exactly I am.

Andrew Huang
Geneon Entertainment (USA) Inc.
Business Development Administrator


Andrew,

The error regarding Petit Cossette is mine entirely - I was not previously familiar with the series, but assumed there would be more than one volume. The information for DearS and Tokyo Underground is given as announced at the panel - if that was incorrect, we will note that in our article.

Mikhail Koulikov
Conventions Correspondent
Anime News Network
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
AstroNerdBoy



Joined: 03 Feb 2004
Posts: 374
Location: Denver, CO

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:44 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
I like the CPM jobs just fine. Like hell I'm gonna go and buy every single DVD separately.


Considering that FUNimation apparently plans to release Slayers over four discs at roughly the same price as CPM's current price, I'll be repurchasing IF FUNimation produces a new subtitle script with full use of Japanese honorifics and the term "Mazoku" in the subtitles. I'll gladly repurchase all three series for that!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
DragonsRevenge



Joined: 15 Nov 2004
Posts: 1150

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:29 pm Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:
I like the CPM jobs just fine. Like hell I'm gonna go and buy every single DVD separately.


Considering that FUNimation apparently plans to release Slayers over four discs at roughly the same price as CPM's current price, I'll be repurchasing IF FUNimation produces a new subtitle script with full use of Japanese honorifics and the term "Mazoku" in the subtitles. I'll gladly repurchase all three series for that!


At roughly 12-13 dollars each? Cos theyre currently MSRP 50 bucks, even though many places still have them at 80+. IF they release em that cheap, I might. But if not, then I wont. I have absolutely no reason to.

And thanks for clearing that Cossette thing up. That had me a bit miffed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DragonsRevenge



Joined: 15 Nov 2004
Posts: 1150

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:33 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:


Oh, and the only place you would find a anime DVD at full MSRP is Suncoast/MediaPlay. BestBuy and every online retailer sells it for less than MSRP.

I know, but that doesnt change the fact you would've had to pay an outlandish price for a 35 minute DVD (even 20 is way too much for 35 minutes) but it doesnt matter now. I just wanted to get that in there. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grico



Joined: 18 May 2004
Posts: 189
Location: Lansing, MI

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if Jubei-chan 2 is delayed now? The Genon report suggested the dub had not been made yet and yet the official release date of dvd one is June 7th 2005.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios



Joined: 12 Jun 2003
Posts: 2028
Location: Albuquerque, NM (the land of entrapment)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Grico wrote:
Does anyone know if Jubei-chan 2 is delayed now? The Genon report suggested the dub had not been made yet and yet the official release date of dvd one is June 7th 2005.


I have to admit confusion here as well. Chris Beveridge has already reviewed the first volume on AnimeonDVD. What would the point be of them saying they are trying to get the voice actors to reprise their roles? Of course, it doesn't matter to me one way or the other. It wasn't like the Japanese seiyuu reprised their roles either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Grico



Joined: 18 May 2004
Posts: 189
Location: Lansing, MI

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I have to admit confusion here as well. Chris Beveridge has already reviewed the first volume on AnimeonDVD. What would the point be of them saying they are trying to get the voice actors to reprise their roles? Of course, it doesn't matter to me one way or the other. It wasn't like the Japanese seiyuu reprised their roles either


Hmmm, if it is getting reviewed already i guess that line is just wrong. Regardless i can't wait for it to come out. June even seems too far to wait....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
CorneredAngel



Joined: 17 Jun 2002
Posts: 720
Location: New York, NY

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I have to admit confusion here as well. Chris Beveridge has already reviewed the first volume on AnimeonDVD. What would the point be of them saying they are trying to get the voice actors to reprise their roles? Of course, it doesn't matter to me one way or the other. It wasn't like the Japanese seiyuu reprised their roles either.


Just as a possibility - I'm not saying that this *is* the case, rather, that this may be the case - the review copy provided to the site you mention may only have the subtitle track. In fact, the review on that site is based on the Japanese language track only and does not mention anything about the quality of the dub.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ChrisBeveridge



Joined: 13 Apr 2002
Posts: 162

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 3:11 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
Quote:
I have to admit confusion here as well. Chris Beveridge has already reviewed the first volume on AnimeonDVD. What would the point be of them saying they are trying to get the voice actors to reprise their roles? Of course, it doesn't matter to me one way or the other. It wasn't like the Japanese seiyuu reprised their roles either.


Just as a possibility - I'm not saying that this *is* the case, rather, that this may be the case - the review copy provided to the site you mention may only have the subtitle track. In fact, the review on that site is based on the Japanese language track only and does not mention anything about the quality of the dub.


It contained a full dub. We only review final end-product and note it if it is not on the rare occasion. So the dub is indeed done and on the disc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
biliano



Joined: 24 Jan 2005
Posts: 956
Location: Cleveland, OH

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:11 pm Reply with quote
ahuang wrote:
DearS will be 13 episodes on 4 volumes, not 3, at the stated price point of $24.98.


I'm assuming that the street date is still set for August 2, right? Anyway, I'm looking forward to purchasing DearS. I started reading the manga when it came out in February and I fell in love with the storylines and the characters, so I'm anxious to watch the anime version of this series.

ahuang wrote:
My signature is not appearing for some reason, so I will enter it manually here, just to let you know who exactly I am.

Andrew Huang
Geneon Entertainment (USA) Inc.
Business Development Administrator


Your signature is not appearing because the signature feature in the ANN forum is disabled (Rule #5 of Teh Rules).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joe Mello



Joined: 31 May 2004
Posts: 1815
Location: Tekkoshocon

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:36 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
Anyway, I'm looking forward to purchasing DearS. I started reading the manga when it came out in February and I fell in love with the storylines and the characters, so I'm anxious to watch the anime version of this series.


No you didn't. (There's no storyline to begin with Rolling Eyes ) You're just in it for the cute moe chicks again. Laughing

(Btw, Miu pwns)

So DearS is 13 episodes, eh? There were 14 made, so which one is getting cut out: Episode 0 (kind of a preview-like thing) or the Unaired Episode 10/9.5 (Infamous unaired hot springs ep)?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group