Forum - View topic
NEWS: Article on Anime Child Porn


Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Cloe
Moderator


Joined: 18 Feb 2004
Posts: 2728
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:17 am Reply with quote
I know this is a very serious issue, but please forgive me for chuckling after reading this little snippet:

Quote:
...laws expanded to included animeated child porn.

Makes me think of a scandalous deli or something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama



Joined: 22 Aug 2004
Posts: 1688
Location: Wichita Falls, TX

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:29 am Reply with quote
Yes, and I think this is a good idea to expand the law as it seems that it has gotten out of hand if this much hentai includes underaged girls in it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
MasterFuu



Joined: 27 May 2003
Posts: 434
Location: Phoenix, AZ

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:02 am Reply with quote
ok just a question here or two Wink . If the hentai anime has characters that are under 18 years of age, is that child porn anime? What are the rules for anime to be called child porn? Also if at the beginning of anime it has a warning saying "All of the characters in this anime are over 18" but they look younger is that child porn? I think I'm talking about "KITE" and "Bible Black". As what would you rate these titles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maceart



Joined: 06 Apr 2004
Posts: 75

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:04 am Reply with quote
Sigh. Another round of legislation at this issue. Why can't the lawmakers let the game makers be? It's not real. The child molester, other than the fact he "watched animated loli hentai" in high school probably had some other external issues. Banning loli hentai isn't going to solve the problem, it's just going to clamp on the freedom of expression.

Tidbit of information on an article similar to this but happened in the US.

http://archives.cnn.com/​2002/​LAW/​04/​16/​scotus.​virtual.​child.​porn/​index.​html

Virtual child porn has always been legal in the US.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bisuketto



Joined: 09 Mar 2005
Posts: 49
Location: Middle America

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:48 am Reply with quote
Maceart wrote:

http://archives.cnn.com/​2002/​LAW/​04/​16/​scotus.​virtual.​child.​porn/​index.​html

Virtual child porn has always been legal in the US.


That's not necessarily true since for the stretch of time from '96 to '02 where it was illegal. That's besides the point so back to the topic.

I can understand the issue legislature is trying to solve. However, as expressed before, the inclusion of animated materials under the law would not curb the abuse. Assaults would continue to happen even after, if such a time were to transpire, the ban of animated child porn material.

The issue of whether to include, to use the popularized term, virtual child porn under such laws is a large one. I still wonder why many people feel that responsibility for one's actions are as a result from an outside source. Blaming other objects, things, or others as the cause of a problem is rather illogical and if I may say it, ignorant. The person committing a crime are at fault not anything else.

I'm not saying that such materials are right, hell I wouldn't own or even view a percent of what is available. As long as a person's hobby does not cause suffering to any living viable human, and this can be extended to animals in cases of animal abuse, I'm fine with it. As soon as such person acts out against society it is then they have crossed the threshold and should be prosecuted under the full extent of their country's laws.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wyvern



Joined: 01 Sep 2004
Posts: 638

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 3:00 am Reply with quote
I hate to break out the often-used slippery-slope argument but: this is a slippery slope. Freedom of expression always, ALWAYS, gets taken away by targeting the least popular forms of speech first. And then when that doesen't solve the problem (and it won't) then there'll be calls to put more and more clamps on anime and free speech in general, and pretty soon it won't just be lolicon hentai, or hentai in general, feeling the heat. Real child porn is and should forever be banned because it involves real children-anime and manga porn does not. It may be unpleasant and gross, it may be a thousand other things, but there's one thing it will never be-real.

Oh, and why is it the proponents of this law are taking a CONVICTED CHILD-MURDERER at his word? It's pretty easy to say "oooh, dirty manga made me do it!" after the fact. That's just a way of dodging responsibility. HE made the concious desicion to take a life-manga certainly didn't. There has to have been something deeply wrong with this guy to do such a thing, and a comic book wasn't going to change how messed up he was. This is no different than the kids here in America who are trying to use Grand Theft Auto as a get out of jail free card.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7251
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:13 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
I hate to break out the often-used slippery-slope argument but: this is a slippery slope. Freedom of expression always, ALWAYS, gets taken away by targeting the least popular forms of speech first. And then when that doesen't solve the problem (and it won't) then there'll be calls to put more and more clamps on anime and free speech in general, and pretty soon it won't just be lolicon hentai, or hentai in general, feeling the heat. Real child porn is and should forever be banned because it involves real children-anime and manga porn does not. It may be unpleasant and gross, it may be a thousand other things, but there's one thing it will never be-real.

Oh, and why is it the proponents of this law are taking a CONVICTED CHILD-MURDERER at his word? It's pretty easy to say "oooh, dirty manga made me do it!" after the fact. That's just a way of dodging responsibility. HE made the concious desicion to take a life-manga certainly didn't. There has to have been something deeply wrong with this guy to do such a thing, and a comic book wasn't going to change how messed up he was. This is no different than the kids here in America who are trying to use Grand Theft Auto as a get out of jail free card.
I agree with most of what you say here that it was his responsibility to control himself but the sad fact is there are mentally unbalanced people in the world who simply can not do that and there's the old military addage "in order to fire a canon, a spark must first be struck". Personally I'm glad that the Japanese are seriously looking at this with a view to curbing it, as it isn't doing their global PR a bit of good. But I can only see an age restriction of it's sale as the only excepted means to which their government will have any success. Banning it will only drive it underground. Self regulation by the providers will have to be stepped up and if anything this will be a shot across their bow to do so, or face tougher legislation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wyvern



Joined: 01 Sep 2004
Posts: 638

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:22 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
But I can only see an age restriction of it's sale as the only excepted means to which their government will have any success. Banning it will only drive it underground. Self regulation by the providers will have to be stepped up and if anything this will be a shot across their bow to do so, or face tougher legislation.


Wait, isn't there an age restriction on buying this stuff already? Because if there isn't, there definatly needs to be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7251
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:41 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
But I can only see an age restriction of it's sale as the only excepted means to which their government will have any success. Banning it will only drive it underground. Self regulation by the providers will have to be stepped up and if anything this will be a shot across their bow to do so, or face tougher legislation.


Wait, isn't there an age restriction on buying this stuff already? Because if there isn't, there definatly needs to be.


Quote:
Konan University's Sonoda said the problem should be addressed by restricting juveniles' access to pornographic animation -- through local government ordinances banning the sale or rental of harmful materials to minors -- instead of blanket legal controls on the makers of pornographic content.
This tells me that legislation doesn't already exist, and your right it should, but this is Japan. Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LilyChan



Joined: 16 Jul 2004
Posts: 97
Location: Arizona

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:37 am Reply with quote
Le sigh. At least he's honest about it, but he shouldn't point any fingers at it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
radicaledward



Joined: 02 Mar 2003
Posts: 776

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:58 am Reply with quote
From the sounds of it the legislation is directed a loli (under 13) hentia which is still a considerable amount of hentai, but by no means the majority (average age for girls in hentai is about 16-20). However, as the artical pointed out - it will be extreamly hard to pull over considering the amout of material that is currently legal and in the general marketplace - if it becomes illegal to produce is the work already in existance also illegal, or do you grandfather it? Even legal questions to give some lawers a field day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
NightHedgehog



Joined: 01 May 2004
Posts: 38

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:08 am Reply with quote
Well, considering this stuff usually depicts acts of rape on children, I can really see why they want to ban the stuff. As unpopular as I may sound, I actually approve on limiting this kind of thing.

Of course, I'm against porn in general.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
SnowfairyX



Joined: 29 Mar 2005
Posts: 438

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:27 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
I hate to break out the often-used slippery-slope argument but: this is a slippery slope. Freedom of expression always, ALWAYS, gets taken away by targeting the least popular forms of speech first. And then when that doesen't solve the problem (and it won't) then there'll be calls to put more and more clamps on anime and free speech in general, and pretty soon it won't just be lolicon hentai, or hentai in general, feeling the heat. Real child porn is and should forever be banned because it involves real children-anime and manga porn does not. It may be unpleasant and gross, it may be a thousand other things, but there's one thing it will never be-real.


That is an excellent point about freedom of expression. I recall a famous quote that says the same thing:

Martin Niemöller wrote:
First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out—
because I was not a communist;
Then they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out—
because I was not a socialist;
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—
because I was not a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
because I was not a Jew;
Then they came for me—
and there was no one left to speak out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
samuraiwalt



Joined: 06 Jul 2004
Posts: 647

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:29 am Reply with quote
NightHedgehog wrote:
Of course, I'm against porn in general.

One man's porn is another man's Macy's underwear ad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7251
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:52 am Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
NightHedgehog wrote:
Of course, I'm against porn in general.

One man's porn is another man's Macy's underwear ad.
Is selling underwear that desperate in the US then? Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 15

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group