• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Of Openings and Endings

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hardgear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:18 am Reply with quote
On the topic of OST's: Most, if not all, of the recent (and a lot of the older) ones are available on Amazon.co.jp. It's quite easy to create an account there since you can flip the interface to be in English. Amazon themselves and some of their official and marketplace sellers will ship to the US just fine (I don't know about the rest of the world, but I don't see why they wouldn't). Sometimes you have to go to the marketplace sellers and add one item to your cart at a time and attempt to checkout until you find one that will ship overseas. So far though I have not had any issues buying anything I needed for a reasonable price (where "reasonable price" = considerably less than I would pay from the importers).
Kidnicky

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:32 am Reply with quote
Where I live,(PA) Suncoast,FYE,and Hot Topic still sell anime plushes,shirts,wallscrolls,figures,and some other stuff. Suncoast has the soundtracks. Hot Topic usually has stuff either from only the very most popular shows (like Naruto or Bleach) or nolstalgic shows like Voltron or DBZ.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:24 pm Reply with quote
The last time I was in an FYE, they had a small section of some anime merchandise (I remember Naruto and Bleach being represented for sure, and probably a couple of other properties), along with Otaku USA and Pocky.

Maybe because I live out near Seattle, but we have a store in Southcenter Mall that imports stuff from Japan, which includes anime and video game merchandise and DVDs. I've seen merchandise for Naruto, Gundam, Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z, and even Doraemon(!) in there. The DVDs are definitely Japanese imports. They also have T-shirts there (we bought our older daughter a My Neighbor Totoro shirt and our son a Yoshi T-shirt from that shop for their birthdays). Of course, like I said, all this stuff are imports rather than being made for the domestic market, so they're definitely pricey. Sad

And I suspect that there are probably shops in Seattle's International District that imports anime merchandise as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Mary Mary, not quite contrary:

The second season of Angel Beats! all the way. The first season of Angel Beats! had me laughing every episode. And then crying at the end when it got serious. They just released a special not to long ago and I realized just how much I missed this anime. If the series ever gets released on DVD here I am buying a copy and maybe a few others to hand to my friends.

When exactly was it announced that Angel Beats! was getting a second season? I'm looking around and I can't find anything more then rumors.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:54 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I think some product placement slipped through in Gunsmith Cats. Both in the manga and anime versions.

C-4 wasn't a product placement, seeing we civilians can't buy that stuff legally anywhere without a crapton of rules and regulations.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to mention, AOL Radio has a J-Pop station that plays anime theme songs. I don't think you can download of course, but you can get ring tones.
xBTAx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
Quote:
Mary Mary, not quite contrary:

The second season of Angel Beats! all the way. The first season of Angel Beats! had me laughing every episode. And then crying at the end when it got serious. They just released a special not to long ago and I realized just how much I missed this anime. If the series ever gets released on DVD here I am buying a copy and maybe a few others to hand to my friends.

When exactly was it announced that Angel Beats! was getting a second season? I'm looking around and I can't find anything more then rumors.

It wasn't announced. There isn't going to be a second season. So I'm just as confused.

There will apparently be a VN version, but nothing's certain about that yet.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:40 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Just wanted to mention, AOL Radio has a J-Pop station that plays anime theme songs. I don't think you can download of course, but you can get ring tones.

Last.fm also has soundtracks, just type in "anime" and you'll get them. Of course, it's random so people shouldn't get too excited. "Fuwa Fuwa Time" from K-ON! is playing right now. Very Happy

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ohdake

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
About Naruto...
If I have heard correctly, when the writers started they said that naruto will be the longest shonen series ever made.
Now naruto goes around 525 chapters and the longest running series at this point is Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kōen Mae Hashutsujo with 1,672 chapters.
So they have it running for loooong time.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote
My Shinkai Fever has spread to Answerfans! Hurrah! Thanks for posting the answer.

I would certainly like more anime soundtracks (video game soundtracks would be nice as well), but I can totally understand that something like that wouldn't sell. I'm glad I got the Haibane Renmei soundtrack all those years ago when I had the chance.

Quote:
When I pick up a novel that's not about dragons or vampires, I expect that when I reach the last page in that book there will be an ending of some sort.

Well played, sir. Well played.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I agree about how unfortunate it is that we can't have anime OSTs over here anymore, but it is obvious as to why and the Answerman covered that pretty well. I for one have bought a few anime OSTs for those shows with soundtracks I just couldn't live without. And thankfully some of those sountracks were released over here (for example, the FLCL OSTs and the Code Geass first season OSTs, though of course you could only get those if you bought the Code Geass Limited Edition DVD sets)...but then some of them weren't (like the Code Geass R2 OSTs). They definitely cost more but sometimes it's just worth it.

I just thought of an answer for last week's Hey Answerfans question too. The biggest show for me that I'm hoping to finally see in 2011 is the new Code Geass project, Code Geass Gaiden: Boukoku no Akito. Though at the moment, development of the new show seems to be going very slowly (after it's announcement way back in April of last year they've only just now revealed 2 of the new character designs. And besides that all we have is a short summary and 1 new Knightmare Frame design) so I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't show up until next year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Umm...Naruto is more or less in it's last arc so...yeah. I can say for certainty it will end after this because there really is nothing left that needs to be done, and Kishimoto is a decent enough writer to know when enough is enough unlike some people....

I'm still curious as to how Kubo has actually deluded himself into thinking he can run Bleach for 10 more years.
Maigraith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Isn't One Piece suppose to be at about the halfway point now? Either way, so glad that an ending is already planned out.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Isn't One Piece suppose to be at about the halfway point now?

Yep. There's no guarantee that both halves are the same length, so I'd be expecting at least another 15 years if I were you. Razz
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote
No question, the thing I'm most looking forward to in 2011 is Redline. There's so much positive buzz around this movie it's unbelievable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3