• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation April 2013 Solicitations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Or worse, DVDs in BD cases? I'm not sure if this post is supposed to be serious or what, seeing how two half sets is easily better than 6 or 8 singles and furthermore, a BD/DVD combo is better than a solo BD or DVD {Every Sentai release makes me wonder if I should get DVD or BD as it's never going to be both. What I usually end up getting is Funimation combo or BD collection}

And if you're really willing to wait, you can always pick up the possible Complete, eventual Classic or ultimate SAVE release.

I'm totally okay with DVDs being included because it gives me the opportunity to let my non-HD-formatted friends borrow said anime in a format that they can watch (which is actually shrinking 'cause they're getting wiser). And I'd definitely prefer both formats in a BD case over a DVD one because they're slightly slimmer (taking up less space in the long run) and are more aesthetically matching (not so bulky and vertically stretched in comparison) when added to my shelf of BDs. In the situation of what I own now, I'll have to buy my own BD cases and illegally obtain the right-sized cover art just to put everything into the same package so that it looks good sitting on my shelf, but also looks cool in terms of style.

The thing that keeps pissing me off and causing all this resentment, though, is that not too long ago they released these combos in DVD packaging, but still pushed it primarily as a BD product. So my boxes for Casshern Sins, Darker than Black 2, and the Eden of the East and Haruhi Suzumiya movies (the latter being Bandai, I know, but still the same predicament), are these big eyesores that stick out of my BD collection. But to make things worse, they decided to change the packaging yet again from originally being BD, then to DVD, and now back to BD cases with slipcovers that have an extra optional piece of cardboard to still keep it DVD-sized? That's a dick-slap to the face, as far as I'm concerned, unless they find a way to compensate for every consumer before the change in packaging was made (i.e. replace my DVD cases for free, or even charge me a little to get the correct BD cases and proper cover arts). But no, I'm stuck with what I (in hindsight) so foolishly bought, and I've nothing to show for my patronage except a ball of rage.

Not to mention I bought the LE DTB2 set thinking the case would someday fit season 1 if they ever got off their collective asses and released it on BD as well. But get this, the box is DVD-sized for a BD/DVD combo in a DVD case with extra space for another DVD-sized box that only has a DVD release at the moment. Awesome. So if they do release DTB1 on BD at some point in a BD case, I'm doubly screwed. So in the meantime, I'm supposed to go out and buy season 1 on DVD and have an artbox with DVD versions of both seasons and an "additional" BD copy of just season 2. Yeah, that's great Rolling Eyes. And that doesn't even address the problem for those who actually went and bought the individual volumes and LE artbox for season 1 that won't [expletive] fit in a brick box.

And then, right now, there's Hellsing Ultimate that has the same thing: a combo for volumes 1-4 and another for 5-8 that includes an LE artbox to house both sets (not sure what the actual size of the box is, DVD or BD, 'cause I'm not stupid enough to buy it yet when they're probably gonna' do a box set for the whole thing at some point). But then what about when 9-10 comes out? If the LE box in set 2 was only made to house 1-8, then it's not gonna' fit the rest, which means you're aesthetically screwed again. Double [expletive] awesome forward-thinking, guys.

As for the half-sets, it's an issue of economics and (again) packaging. I was actually happy buying individual volumes back in the day because I know it had the potential to keep the companies afloat more so than the gamble of half or full season sets do today (but distribution theory is for another topic). However, the way things are set up today, I would prefer to have the entire content of a series in one wholesome little case, which not only is cheaper to buy at that pricepoint, but also gives me less to shuffle through for my own personal viewings or for the purposes of lending. Instead of letting my friend barrow the entire series of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood in 5 different cases that might've cost a total of $100, I can have all 10 discs in two cases for half the price. That's $50 that can go towards a number of any other things and I have the convenience of more compact storage. That's my reasoning.

Question about the S.A.V.E. line, though. Are those ugly "S.A.V.E." logos removable or do I really have to put up with that ugly stuff always being on the cover art?
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And then, right now, there's Hellsing Ultimate that has the same thing: a combo for volumes 1-4 and another for 5-8 that includes an LE artbox to house both sets (not sure what the actual size of the box is, DVD or BD, 'cause I'm not stupid enough to buy it yet when they're probably gonna' do a box set for the whole thing at some point). But then what about when 9-10 comes out? If the LE box in set 2 was only made to house 1-8, then it's not gonna' fit the rest, which means you're aesthetically screwed again. Double [expletive] awesome forward-thinking, guys.

The last time the FUNi guys were on ANNCast they were asked about why the Hellsing Ultimate LE was released the way at was and why they couldn't make it so it held the potential 9-10 set. They simply said "contracts" and that was all they were allowed to say on the matter. They honestly didn't' sound too happy about it either.

Quote:
Question about the S.A.V.E. line, though. Are those ugly "S.A.V.E." logos removable or do I really have to put up with that ugly stuff always being on the cover art?

All the SAVE editions I own have a reversible cover without all the green stuff on it
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
The last time the FUNi guys were on ANNCast they were asked about why the Hellsing Ultimate LE was released the way at was and why they couldn't make it so it held the potential 9-10 set. They simply said "contracts" and that was all they were allowed to say on the matter. They honestly didn't' sound too happy about it either.

So now we don't even know when or if the last 2 volumes will ever hit U.S. shores? Stupendous.

Shenl742 wrote:
All the SAVE editions I own have a reversible cover without all the green stuff on it.

Good to know. Thanks.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh I no doubt that we'll get episodes 9 and 10...but keep in mind that episode 10 was released in Japan literally 3 weeks ago, so...
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Still, if they intend on eventually getting the last 2 episodes, they could've planned better on the box thing. It just falls right back to the whole aesthetics fuckup issue.
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:10 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:
Eden of the east complete collection? If this is the series along with the films then I'm totally gonna go for the blu ray!!

It's not. It's just the 11 episodes of the TV series.

Yeah. They can go and f*ck themselves.
Tony K. wrote:

The earlier sets had removable slip-spines (think import CDs). Nowadays, it's reversible covers. That said, all their cases a clear so you'll still see the ugly green.
supercreep

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Still, if they intend on eventually getting the last 2 episodes, they could've planned better on the box thing. It just falls right back to the whole aesthetics fuckup issue.

He did mention that thing about "contracts." If they had a good reason, then whatever.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Well they either get the last 2 episodes licensed or not. That doesn't change the fact that if they do, then the LE artbox is useless for that last set. If they don't get the final eps. then they've left their consumers hanging. My point is the LE artbox included in the 2nd set is a lose-lose situation and that they need to stop with the poor planning, specifically, to hire a new guy to be in charge of packaging so the cycle of stupidity stops and doesn't turn into another case/slipcase/artbox debacle like I've referred to in my lengthy post above.
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote
They should have held off on an art box for the release of the final two episodes (assuming they got them), but I assume it was a decision made for a guaranteed higher MSRP now rather than a potential higher MSRP later.

Kinda lame but eh.

That said, I'm not a fan of boxes anymore.
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
that they need to stop with the poor planning, specifically, to hire a new guy to be in charge of packaging so the cycle of stupidity stops and doesn't turn into another case/slipcase/artbox debacle like I've referred to in my lengthy post above.

I'm still really annoyed how they handled the Spice and Wolf BDs originally packaging wise. Season 2 is BD/DVD combo in DVD size case with a really nice artbox, but Season 1 BD is in BD size cased with a slipcover that doesn't really fit nicely in the artbox.
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Well they either get the last 2 episodes licensed or not. That doesn't change the fact that if they do, then the LE artbox is useless for that last set. If they don't get the final eps. then they've left their consumers hanging. My point is the LE artbox included in the 2nd set is a lose-lose situation and that they need to stop with the poor planning, specifically, to hire a new guy to be in charge of packaging so the cycle of stupidity stops and doesn't turn into another case/slipcase/artbox debacle like I've referred to in my lengthy post above.

There's also the fact that they didn't mention anything about the box til like a week before release. That one is always fun.

superdry wrote:
I'm still really annoyed how they handled the Spice and Wolf BDs originally packaging wise. Season 2 is BD/DVD combo in DVD size case with a really nice artbox, but Season 1 BD is in BD size cased with a slipcover that doesn't really fit nicely in the artbox.

That is such horseshit. I'd return it. F*ck that.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
I see lots of complaining over pieces of cardboard in this topic.

I have no response but to groan and roll my eyes.

*groan* Rolling Eyes
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote
How many collectors' editions of video games do you have? At least one?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:15 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
*groan* Rolling Eyes

Thank you. That's a very useful reply (from you) that is so vital and contributive to the issue at hand about an obviously bogus business practice questioned by a consumer (myself) who cares about product quality and not getting screwed over because a company can't even do cases or boxes right. I sense every bit of care and consideration from you as I do from that fine company known as FUNimation Entertainment. I applaud and bow to your wisdom, knowledge, whimsy, and level of effort in giving a rat's patoot.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:37 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

All the SAVE editions I own have a reversible cover without all the green stuff on it

Hellsing has turned into a waiting game. I've been waiting so long i don't care how it comes out. Though a dub of the last few installments would be nice. I had a mismatched Hellsing OVA set to begin with because I only have a regular version of the first episode. Heck I've been storing that disk in the stealback case of vol 2 and I'm sure it's got some scratches on it but still plays. We should just be happy Universal didn't make them sell 5-8 to us one episode at at time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8