• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ms. Answerman: Revenge of the Anime Nerds

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vukir

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
`(C) by the distribution of a work being prepared for commercial distribution, by making it available on a computer network accessible to members of the public, if such person knew or should have known that the work was intended for commercial distribution.

Even the above mentioned would permit Japanese companies to sue Fansubb makers and distributors due to there not being a monetary limit placed on downloadable property... So, I wouldn't say it's 100% safe for people to be messing with online anime, but it is still fairly backwater compaired to what the bill and the MPAA is primarily targeting, aside from there being few attacks on the Fansubbers(unlicensed that is).

But this law doesn't introduce anything new to the legal/illegal dealings of fansubbing. It really just gives theaters more amunition against Theater-rips, and provides fines and penalties for getting caught with a camcorder in a theater, amongst a few other things.
Dejiko

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:00 am Reply with quote
The producers of Escaflown had the bad luck that NGE came out around the same time. Things would've probably been quite different if there hadn't such a highly anticipated series around to compete with.
biliano

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:10 am Reply with quote
I almost forgot about my Detective Conan question, but thanks for answering it, Rebecca! Very Happy

I do agree with your comment that every nation in the world have their own distinctive culture and preferences that simply won't translate well when imported into another country, and that's probably why Detective Conan didn't succeed when FUNi and Cartoon Network brought it here in America. While anime has grown by leaps and bounds in Western civilization, there are certain anime that shouldn't cross the Pacific, and I felt that Detective Conan was one of those series. I view Conan as the Japanese equivalent to the American TV series The Simpsons - a show that has been popular for so long that it became a fixture of that country's culture. While I do believe that both FUNi and CN did their best to translate and distribute Conan into American culture (and did a great job with the dubbing), the vast differences between Japanese and American cultures made it nearly impossible for the casual English-speaking fan to embrace it.

I mentioned a few times that I believe that Detective Conan is one of the most overated titles in the market, but I never gave a reason why. Here's why I think Conan is overated: It's too repetitive. At first, I enjoyed watching the episodes, but a couple of months into the series, I felt that the formula was played out far too long that the episodes lost their appeal, and therefore I lost my interest in watching this series. When a series runs as long as Conan has, it runs the risk of being too stale and too strung out that it could possibly lose what little appeal it has left. The same problem applies towards The Simpsons.

I'm not saying that Detective Conan is a bad show, I just don't have that connection with Conan that I have with most of the other anime that I watch. I also don't mean to offend the Conan fans in this forum because I know how passionate you are towards Conan. I'm also not saying that FUNi should not have brought Conan to America because as I mentioned earlier, I thought FUNi did a great job in handling the franchise. From what I perceived after reading Rebecca's answer to my question, I concluded that there are certain anime series that should have not been brought to Western shores, and I felt that Conan was one of them. Sad

(FYI: This was my 300th post. Laughing )

Last edited by biliano on Fri May 20, 2005 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:01 am Reply with quote
Well, if they're bringing over Kodocha, I wonder when they'll bring over Full Moon wo Sagashite.
hkrok76

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:23 am Reply with quote
I think another problem that Conan has here(other than the said difference in the tastes of both nations) is the fact that Conan seems to have a lost demographic here in the US. It's generally an all-ages show, but since it's on Adult Swim due to its more morose topics, it seems to lose out on much of the younger audience(granted there's a large chance the younger audience wouldn't have liked it here in the first place). Along with that, Funimation have to do a somewhat slap in the face to people who were fans of Detective Conan prior to its release here in the states(many of the changes I believe were unavoidable for Funimation due to factors such as the Japanese side, and also legal reasons). Changing the show to cased closed and changing the names of the main characters does tend to put a damper on the show's release for people who liked it before.

Detective Conan is definitely a show that had little chance of making it big here in the states, but there are plenty of shows that wouldn't make it big here in the states(yet have done very well in Japan). How well would Sazae-san, or Kochikame do here? Pretty bad in my opinion, but Kochikame is the longest running manga series ever. Definitely doesn't mean these shows are bad.

The dick jokes in Crayon Shin-chan would probably keep that from its intended demographic too though. Two different markets with different cultural taboos. Makes me sad.

You know, with the popularity of CSI and Law and Order....Detective Conan could have maybe been marketted as CSI for kids....ofcourse the concept of death and murder must be kept away from our impressionable youth...right.....

Ah, one last thing(sorry for being longwinded) but considering most of the Adult Swim shows(the more popular ones) did have a relatively large following in the underground community prior to being aired, it makes me wonder about Detective Conan. The fansub community can generally be seen as a small market sample for many of these shows(granted it isn't the end all be all opinion on which shows will make it big or not), but considering adult swim's less popular shows were less popular in the underground community, it sort of seems to make sense that detective conan wouldn't really take off. It never really seemed to take off in the underground community(lack of fansubbing was probably the major factor here though)....
Pat Payne

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Punctuation, spelling, and capitalization are our friends! They really do love us and wish we’d use them more when composing emails, writing those difficult essays for school, and otherwise using the written word to communicate with others.

Thank you! Reading some of these questions make my head hurt, and I'm glad someone's finally decided to stand up for clear writing. Cool

Quote:
Though there were a number of animated ‘movies’ produced after 1917, anime really didn’t take off until WW2. The Japanese leaders, like most leaders do in a time of war, use multiple outlets to spread their propaganda.

IIRC, wasn't there one in particular that had either Momotarou or Kintarou fighting against Popeye? It sticks in my head that there was...
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:20 am Reply with quote
Sir_Brass wrote:
Well, if they're bringing over Kodocha, I wonder when they'll bring over Full Moon wo Sagashite.

The Full Moon manga is licensed by Viz now, so that at least makes a better chance for the anime to come here too.
Though come to think of it, Kodocha's manga's been here for a few years now but I don't think TokyoPop even put it into right to left format yet...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:21 pm Reply with quote
That Momotaro Story is completely different from what I read once. Am I seeing things?

The one I remeber was that the Old Couple found a giant Peach in the river and took it home to eat. The Man took the first bite and instantly turned into a Younger Man. Surprised by this, the woman ate the Peach and also turned into a Beautiful Woman.

Later that night, they...."did the nasty."

A while later, they had a baby boy, and they named him Momotaro because of the Peach they ate.
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Those questions without moderately good grammar are really getting on my nerves these days. Mad The question about the popularity of Detective Conan was really interesting, and I'd been wondering how a series like that would go on for more than a hundred episodes. It's repetitive after a few episodes, though the humor istill kept me going
biliano wrote:
(FYI: This was my 300th post. Laughing )
Well congrats!
hkrok76

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
That Momotaro Story is completely different from what I read once. Am I seeing things?

The one I remeber was that the Old Couple found a giant Peach in the river and took it home to eat. The Man took the first bite and instantly turned into a Younger Man. Surprised by this, the woman ate the Peach and also turned into a Beautiful Woman.

Later that night, they...."did the nasty."

A while later, they had a baby boy, and they named him Momotaro because of the Peach they ate.

Could I ask you where you heard that one from? Sounds interesting...but i think the one that most people probably hear is where the old couple find the giant peach and right when they are about to cut it, the baby boy pops out as a gift from the heavens because the couple was childless. Something like that.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

Well the story goes something like..

Once upon a time there was an old man and his old wife living in the country in Japan. He and his wife were sad and lonely because they had no children. One day as the old woman was washing some clothes, she was surprised to see a big peach come floating down the river. But just as they were ready to cut it, a human voice cried from inside the peach: “Don’t be afraid. The God of Heaven saw how lonely you were, so he sent me to be your son.” Since he was born from a peach, they named the baby Momotaro, which means Peach Boy.
Cicatriz

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
Sir_Brass wrote:

The Full Moon manga is licensed by Viz now, so that at least makes a better chance for the anime to come here too.
Though come to think of it, Kodocha's manga's been here for a few years now but I don't think TokyoPop even put it into right to left format yet...

Kodocha is in right-to-left. It was one of the (not exactly the right term, but whatever) 'launch titles' of the '100% Original' format for TokyoPop. The only things that were ever left-to-right for Tokyopop were Sailor Moon, Saint Tail, Peach Girl, Magic Knights Rayearth, Miracle Girls, Dragon Knights (Well, it was released in 'weekly' like format.) and maybe a couple more.

I think Tokyopop's contract for Kodocha may of run out or something. I think they took it off their website.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Pat Payne wrote:
Quote:
Punctuation, spelling, and capitalization are our friends! They really do love us and wish we’d use them more when composing emails, writing those difficult essays for school, and otherwise using the written word to communicate with others.

Thank you! Reading some of these questions make my head hurt, and I'm glad someone's finally decided to stand up for clear writing. Cool
I got called a "spelling nazi" for pointing somewhat the samething at a UK anime site. Crying or Very sad

Pat Payne wrote:
Quote:
Though there were a number of animated ‘movies’ produced after 1917, anime really didn’t take off until WW2. The Japanese leaders, like most leaders do in a time of war, use multiple outlets to spread their propaganda.

IIRC, wasn't there one in particular that had either Momotarou or Kintarou fighting against Popeye? It sticks in my head that there was...
No doubt as the US had Popeye sinking a few of Yamamoto's ships as well back then. Wink
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:39 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
I view Conan as the Japanese equivalent to the American TV series The Simpsons - a show that has been popular for so long that it became a fixture of that country's culture.

Incidentally, there is a translated and localized version of The Simpsons in Japan, as well as similar animated comedy shows like South Park and Family Guy.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Pat Payne wrote:
Quote:

I got called a "spelling nazi" for pointing somewhat the samething at a UK anime site. Crying or Very sad

Forgive me, but I find a certain delicious irony in the fact that you mangled that sentence.

-abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3