• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? (TV)

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Is This a Zombie?

ANN wrote:
Plot Summary: Aikawa Ayumu is a normal high school boy. One day he is killed by a serial killer and revived as a zombie by a necromancer named Eucliwood Hellscythe. He starts to serve Eu as her guard but he happens to deprive the mahou shoujo Haruna of her magic power. Haruna orders Ayumu to fight against the anti-mahou shoujo system "Megalo" in her place.

Available at Crunchyroll.

And the new magical girl of the season is on, with zombie, necromancer, monsters, and most importantly, vampire ninja (which is what the next episode is about).

There we have an adorable necromancer. Needless to say, she's absolutely cute.
An energetic magical girl, which usually annoys me, but not this time.
A zombie, which is very proud of being a zombie, to the point he says "I'm a zombie" about 5 times in a single episode.
Apparently, none of the more developed ladies were introduced this episode, but that's okay.

I liked the parodies. Mainly the tsundere one. I couldn't help but laugh at his imagination (our imagination is quite alike). The magical girl transformation was particularly catching. I suppose it's either the heavy use of pink, or just that it's actually a boy.

Right now, this is one of my favorites, and if I recall correctly, the one I looked forward the most besides Gosick. I have my expectations for this.

A Certain Zombie Index -

Episodes:
#2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12

Last edited by egoist on Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:26 pm; edited 12 times in total
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I made a thread of this earlier, but mines is less constructive. I'll have mines reported to be closed since yours is a much better thread.

Anyways, I'm really looking forward this (haven't seen the episode yet), it was one of the animes I was looking forward. It might be my favorite anime of this season.

Edit:

I am totally loving this series as of now. Only one word can describe my thoughts so far: Epic.

I love the characters presented so far, especially the quiet "tsundere" necromancer chick. The comedy was great, and the story seems pretty good. It met my expectations, and I can't be any happier.

Last edited by EmbraceMe on Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rednal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:40 pm Reply with quote
It's definitely my favorite. Anime hyper Particularly the necromancer girl, but this show is just funny in general.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:41 pm Reply with quote
At first, I was a bit put off by the fact that 'Okay, he's a zombie. If a zombie's brain is destroyed, then they are destroyed, yet he was clearly pulverized by a moving truck and his head smashed against the bumper, yet he's not destroyed???' It's pretty bad when you fail at zombie-logic Rolling Eyes

But then came Magical-girl wielding a chainsaw and all was forgotten Twisted Evil . Plus, that epic transformation that egoist linked. I'll be sticking with it for now...
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Man, the first episode of this is absolutely, totally hilarious! The kitten's reaction is simply priceless and ever since that very successful beginning it's just one hilarious joke after another. By the end of it I was almost rolling on the floor laughing. Absolutely love everything about this episode, especially characters, they make the show right now. Really can't wait to see more.
Olivine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Why did Ayumu's panty shot have to be like three times as long as Haruna's?! x.x

But anything that has cute necromancers and pink chainsaws is good in my book. Regardless of presence of...panty shots of...male crotch.

*blargh*
vastoceans

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow. This show wasn't even on my radar but it ended up being the first show of the season to make me laugh out loud multiple times. The characters look GREAT and it has one of the best OP's of the season. The little sister necromancer anti-tsun delusions are fantastic. The premise is off the wall but the show pokes fun at itself enough to make things enjoyable. This may be my favorite of the season so far along with Madoka.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:40 pm Reply with quote
See, now this is what I'm talking about. You can put as much fanservice as you like in a show if I am dying of laughter of all the comedy you put in as well. This show really reminds me of Sora no Otoshimono with it's usage of serious/comedy. It wasn't really high on my radar until now and I'm definitely on board for the whole series.

OP song was fantastic

Oh and that is definitely not a kick.

Olivine wrote:
Why did Ayumu's panty shot have to be like three times as long as Haruna's?! x.x

Because this anime seems to be parodying everything.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, just to be a big contrarian, I'm gonna...

...agree with you all. Very funny show. I laughed when Zombie Boy grabbed his ass because he thought Crayfish Guy was going to hind-grind him.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quote
As many of you know I hate magical girl shows, but I decided to give this a try.My hopes weren't set high, mainly due to the whole it's being done by Studio Deen bit.

I enjoyed it surprisingly. I had a few laughs during the episode and the transformation scene was pretty good.

Plus, a magical girl who uses a chainsaw can't be that bad.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:45 am Reply with quote
I had fairly high expectations of this since I saw a preview, and it definetly surpassed them. You have bad shows that try to grab things from different genre and parody them, but this is one of the really good ones, I found myself laughing quite a lot and rewinding just to watch a scene again.

The main character is a zombie, though possibly unitentional it might be a joke of so many leads being pretty lifeless and uncreative, or that some times people who just leave normal lives zombies. Regardless I like his look, he is enjoyable, and I loved the little tidbits at the bottom of the screen when it warned us not to try it at home, or that the cute part was just a fantasy of his. The necromancer does not have much character yet, but the arm bit was intersting, fantacies a good contrast and I liked the lack of energy by her in the ED.

Now Haruna the magical girl, firstly you got to give the funny yet awesome that she is a mahou shoujo (magical girl) that uses a fricken chainsaw. I had to do a double take when she did her spoiler[Mystletainn kick, because my reaction was "that is not a kick"] only to have the protaganist say the exact same thing Laughing . She is a defenit parody of the standard magical girl; thinks very highly of herself, carries a chainsaw, cared rather little for people getting in the middle and the naked thing. I usually rather dislike chucking in panty shots like that, but here it was done very tongue and cheek, and I loved the second one, especially since Ayumu got a new title. Also of note is that her voice actor also did Nymph in Sora no Otoshimono, which adds to her charm.

And next episode we get a vampire ninja, that is theoreticly awesome squared. The OP was a good job, as was the OP that had both an energetic magical girl maracas, and emotionless girl doing minimal movement dancing. I will definetly be watching this, could be a contender with Madoka for show of the season.
Hikikomori Safari

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:16 am Reply with quote
well this surprised the hell out of me. I was going to avoid it all together, decided to give it a chance and now I can't wait for the next episode. Some truly funny moments already, hope they can keep it up.
Eivion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:09 am Reply with quote
Thought this was hilarious, especially Ayumu's delusions over the indifference of the necromancer. Right now this and Level E are my favorite shows of the new season.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:51 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with everyone here, this is absolutely hilarious. This the one I was looking forward to the most, and it did not disappoint at all. I thought Beelzebub was really funny, but this, this is leaps better. Comedy is my favorite genre, but great ones are a dime a dozen, so my hopes are pretty high for this one based off this episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mister V

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:47 am Reply with quote
Haven't had the time to see this yet, but judging by the previews, this sounds like a well-made and funny Dokuro-chan. Am I thinking of the right analogy?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12