• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Puffy AmiYumi to Sing Pokemon Theme Song

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:48 am Reply with quote
So then this would be their first time actually doing an anime theme song as opposed to an American cartoon theme song then right?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:50 am Reply with quote
Almost. They also did an SD Gundam opening theme.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:36 am Reply with quote
Considering how popular they seem to be in America right now, I wonder if 4Kids might actually keep the song for the inevitable english version? Probably depends on how much engrish is in it...
Steve007101

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:01 am Reply with quote
You must be kidding! When I looked at this it screamed "Cartoon Network will love this" So I have no doubt that it will happend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:35 am Reply with quote
True, but Cartoon Network is not 4Kids.

Personally, I don't have much taste for Puffy, but i haven't really heard much, so I can't say anything. I do actually like some of the Pokemon movie songs though...*ducks*
NightHedgehog

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:58 am Reply with quote
I ended up watching one of the movies, believe it was that Jiraiya movie on CN. Suprisingly, they kept at least part of the japanese ending.
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:46 am Reply with quote
I just hope Andy Strmer has some input to the song. Since becoming the "godfather" of Puffy AmiYumi, their sound has been awesome ("Shut Your Mouth, Honey" and "Urei" for example). But if he doesn't have anything to do with the song, it could be less-than-mediocre. Then again, I'll still probably find it anyway; and it could be on their next album.

But it would be a shame if they didn't put the song in the American version (since they're becoming pretty damn popular here). They would probably put some stupid American song in there by Jessica Simpson (dumb blonde). 4Kids never had a good American theme song (like "One Piece"; couldn't they have at least gotten someone like Flogging Molly or the Dropkick Murphys instead of something so hideous as a rap song [what the f*** does rap have to do with pirates?!?!]?!). But maybe they'll get it right this time. Maybe.
darkinusgurl

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:27 am Reply with quote
Puffy AmiYumi's finally doing anime songs on shows other than on their show and Teen Titans??? Finally(!) something of their's to listen to besides the same songs over and over! Hope it sounds good! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:20 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
4Kids never had a good American theme song (like "One Piece"; couldn't they have at least gotten someone like Flogging Molly or the Dropkick Murphys instead of something so hideous as a rap song [what the f*** does rap have to do with pirates?!?!]?!).

Hold on. Do you even know what you're suggesting? What you're alluding to would be PR Hell.

Oh and on what's rap got to do got to do with it? [sic] What does rap have to do with the Magic Knights* What does rap have to do with evil Magical Girls?** What does rap have to do with small Pocket Monsters? I personally never found rap to be logical in the first place.

ADDENDUM: Oh, and we have yet to ask what pirates have to do with vegetables. That's a question I'm sure half of North America is anxiously waiting to answer.

*"Shoujo yo! Taishi wo Idake," Magic Knights Rayearth
**"Magical Girl Pixy Misa Shouka," Pretty Sammy (gawd awful song, too)

Last edited by Joe Mello on Tue May 24, 2005 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve007101

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm definetly going to remember that line, what does rap have to do with pirates!? Well maybe they're very into it ok. Seriously though, music is something derived from feelings so weither it's rap has nothing to do with it, weither it's an appropriot mood is, and having only seen a little of One Piece subbed and dubbed I don't really know if it's appropriot because I stopped watching it when it didn't seem to interest me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
omnistry wrote:
4Kids never had a good American theme song (like "One Piece"; couldn't they have at least gotten someone like Flogging Molly or the Dropkick Murphys instead of something so hideous as a rap song [what the f*** does rap have to do with pirates?!?!]?!).

Hold on. Do you even know what you're suggesting? What you're alluding to would be PR Hell.

Oh and on what's rap got to do got to do with it? [sic] What does rap have to do with the Magic Knights* What does rap have to do with evil Magical Girls?** What does rap have to do with small Pocket Monsters? I personally never found rap to be logical in the first place.

*"Shoujo yo! Taishi wo Idake," Magic Knights Rayearth
**"Magical Girl Pixy Misa Shouka," Pretty Sammy (gawd awful song, too)

Out of curiosity, how would it be PR Hell? I was just saying that if you're going to do a theme song for a show, make sure its sound fits the plot. Bands like Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly are known for their great Irish punk rock anthems; and they use instruments such as bagpipes, mandolins and other classical instruments plus great lyrics that everyone can sing along to. If you don't believe me, listen to Molly's Drunken Lullabies and the Murphys' Black Velvet Band; two songs that would've made great One Piece theme songs (that is if you are into that sort of thing).
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:25 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
like "One Piece"; couldn't they have at least gotten someone like Flogging Molly or the Dropkick Murphys instead of something so hideous as a rap song [what the f*** does rap have to do with pirates?!?!]?!

"What the f*** does rap have to do with pirates?" How about, "What the heck does Irish punk rock have to do with pirates?" I'm not saying that Dropkick Murphys is a bad band or anything, and I own a CD or two, but they don't have anything to do with One Piece either.

And why choose rap? I think it's something along the lines of "the music speaks to today's youth." At least that's what I can hear an executive telling people. Confused
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. Last time I checked, Irish punk rock anthems aren't exactly marketable to small children ages 7 and up. Not to mention that half the time you can't understand a lick of lyrics.

Trust me, after living next door who kept his door open and blasted Irish punk music all year, I should know.
sinistertaco

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:13 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
I just hope Andy Strmer has some input to the song. Since becoming the "godfather" of Puffy AmiYumi, their sound has been awesome ("Shut Your Mouth, Honey" and "Urei" for example). But if he doesn't have anything to do with the song, it could be less-than-mediocre. Then again, I'll still probably find it anyway; and it could be on their next album.

But it would be a shame if they didn't put the song in the American version (since they're becoming pretty damn popular here). They would probably put some stupid American song in there by Jessica Simpson (dumb blonde). 4Kids never had a good American theme song (like "One Piece"; couldn't they have at least gotten someone like Flogging Molly or the Dropkick Murphys instead of something so hideous as a rap song [what the f*** does rap have to do with pirates?!?!]?!). But maybe they'll get it right this time. Maybe.

Rap is what sells right now. Had this been 20 years ago, we'd be talking about hair metal power balads. 40 years ago? Pseudo folk and acid rock. 10 years in the future? Who knows?

They're catering to what sells, nothing more nothing less. There's absolutely nothing to it beyond that.
midori kou

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I hope Puffy AmiYumi does an English version and a Japanese version of the theme for their single. I'm not much of a fan of theirs, but I'm always into multiple versions of one song. X3
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2