• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Licenses Space Adventure Cobra TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Not as excited for this as I was for Rose, but still a very cool announcement.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I have never heard of this
Heibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Is it going to be dub only or will it have both languages? No original Japanese with subtitles, no money from me.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:06 pm Reply with quote
A true classic. I will certainly be picking this one up.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Hearing how beautiful the movie looks from Zac & Justin, I'm curious if this means that they'll get the movie. And if they do, I hope that they'll actually put out a blu-ray for it....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

Heibi wrote:
Is it going to be dub only or will it have both languages? No original Japanese with subtitles, no money from me.

rightstuf doesn't dub anything they pick up, so it will only be Japanese audio, with subtitles of course
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

Heibi wrote:

?!?! There's no dub for this! There was never an English release before. And seeing as how the series is 30 years old, there's no way Right Stuf is gonna make one now.

There IS, however, a separate made-in-English pilot episode for international markets, which I hope Right Stuf got. Time will tell.

EDIT: Right Stuf has verified Japanese w/ subs, and that they will include the English pilot episode.

Last edited by jsevakis on Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
mdo7

getchman wrote:

Then I think you need to study up on this via Wikipedia. Also I believe the animated film version of this is on Hulu, so might be a good place to start.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I think I first heard of Cobra in the notes to Otaku no Video. In the cosplay scene, two of the costumes were from Cobra. And the women in Cobra tend not to be wearing very much.
Heibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Heibi wrote:

?!?! There's no dub for this! There was never an English release before. And seeing as how the series is 30 years old, there's no way Right Stuf is gonna make one now.

There IS, however, a separate made-in-English pilot episode for international markets, which I hope Right Stuf got. Time will tell.

Well, in another earlier big announcement for another series it was dub-only. Princess Knight was the previous dub only release.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Space Adventure Cobra is basically Star Wars meets Roger Moore's James Bond with an emphasis on crazy pulp science fiction, scantily clad women and a good dose of action plus comedy. If nothing else, I'd say it is at least reasonably entertaining to watch, provided you don't expect anything else.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Heibi wrote:
Well, in another earlier big announcement for another series it was dub-only. Princess Knight was the previous dub only release.

It usually depends on if there was a dub produced previously for the series. Since the tv series never got a dub, it probably won't get a dub unless Right Stuf wants to pay for it(which is highly unlikely for a series this old).

The only reason Princess Knight is dub-only is due it being what was agreed on during the license agreement(pretty sure Shawne mentioned that on the last ANNcast interview for Right Stuf).
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

If you didn't already know that the Cobra movie was released in the U.S. by Discotek several months ago, chances are you probably have no interest in this series anyway.

Despite this being the first time the original Cobra TV series has been released in the U.S., this franchise probably needs very little introduction to the longtime anime fan.

Animerican14 wrote:
Hearing how beautiful the movie looks from Zac & Justin, I'm curious if this means that they'll get the movie. And if they do, I hope that they'll actually put out a blu-ray for it....

See above. Discotek has the movie and the DVD has already been available for consumers to purchase for months now. They do not, however, have it on blu-ray. At least not yet.

Last edited by bravetailor on Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading the manga back in the late 80's. It was so fun and mindless. When VIZ put out this title and all the other square bounded manga/comics I bought them up in a heartbeat. I was getting bored with American comics and I dropped practically all the Marvel and DC books I was reading, except for Batman and Spiderman. I remember Cobra because of his iconic snear chumping on that cigar. I may give this a try just to re-live those days.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I remember hearing about this show on a TV special on the NHK channel (Comcast) so, while I'm familiar with it, I probably won't pre-order it like I did for Rose of Versailles. But congrats to the (older) fans!

Seems like RightStuf and Discoteck are the saviors of pre-2000's anime. I'll check it out if they put the series on either Viki or YouTube.

DavidShallcross wrote:
I think I first heard of Cobra in the notes to Otaku no Video. In the cosplay scene, two of the costumes were from Cobra. And the women in Cobra tend not to be wearing very much.

There was also a Cobra parody on Gintama except he looks.....different.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4