• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: THR: Nic Mathieu in Talks to Helm Live-Action Robotech

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:16 am Reply with quote
So is he really going to be the one or will he just be another victim of the revolving door?
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
I'd be surprised if it ever gets made. I'd be even more surprised if it gets made and does the anime justice. I have no confidence that either will occur.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:52 am Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
I'd be surprised if it ever gets made. I'd be even more surprised if it gets made and does the anime justice. I have no confidence that either will occur.

It'd be better than The Shadow Chronicles either way. Laughing

More interested in the fabled Voltron live action movie myself. Alas, I don't think that will get off the ground.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:58 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:

It'd be better than The Shadow Chronicles either way. Laughing

I thought Shadow Chronicles was quite good. It had some established lead characters from New Generation and actually had a very interesting take on the Haydonites, whom had been very lightly touched on in any official material for Sentinels other than the novels.

If they end up making a live action Robotech I'm afraid it will be as reminisicent of and relevant to the series as Robotech the Movie: The Untold Story which is a god-awful splicing of Megazone 23 Part I with some Southern Cross footage mixed in so that they could justify tying it into the Robotech storyline. Carl Macek himself said many years ago that he doesn't consider that canon and also wishes people forget it ever existed. Then there's the quickly aborted Robotech 3000 which was canned after one test audience screening of mere concepts of the production if memory serves me correctly, and judging by the awful CG that circulated for that (which had you wondering what part of that was in fact Robotech.

Short of it is, for a live-action Robotech movie to be successful, its best chance is to do the Macross Saga with that show's characters and if not the mecha verbatim, then something very very close. And given the IP issue flags that anything to do with Macross has either side of the Pacific Ocean, I don't see that happening.

Seriously, Hollywood should just leave anime alone and focus on things like DC and Marvel superhero movies, Die Hard-style action movies, and the other stuff they churn out on a regular basis. Someone told me recently that apparently the long-aborted live action Star Blazers movie is back in someone's sights in Hollywood. God I hope not. What they were proposing the last time sounded awful. I'll stick to my Yamato 2199 Blu-Rays.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Looks like he could make some cool visuals with Robotech
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/video/nic-mathieus-zenith-stellar-commercial-329700
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1