• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Edit List - Samurai Champloo Episode 02

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreatGlistener

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:05 am Reply with quote
Very little editing so far. That's nice to see.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:34 am Reply with quote
The scrathes are clever, but I could see them getting old pretty quick. And after all, techinically it IS okay to say that word on late-night basic cable (we all remember that South Park episode, which originally aired an hour and a half earlier than Champloo does.)

But hey, I was happy that no one tried to edit Mugen's aborted tryst with the hooker or that male assasin hitting on Jin. Man, even if Jin were gay, that guy's just...old. He reminded me of the old walker man on Family Guy. "Hey, Mister Swordsman, you got some good news for me today?"
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:40 am Reply with quote
Little edit is better than no SC at all.
abruli

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:15 am Reply with quote
Umm... So let me get this straight. Only edits done in the two episodes have had to do with the language? I can't remember the first ep too well, but I think it had some blood and limb chopping in it as well. Are these left unedited or simply not listed because it's obvious they are edited?

Honestly I can't understand what is so detrimental about swearing that you have to scratch them out? It's actually quite funny Laughing
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:40 am Reply with quote
abruli wrote:
Are these left unedited or simply not listed because it's obvious they are edited?

All edits, regardless of how obvious, are listed in an edit list (excepting those that Kyle Pope simply didn't catch). If it's not listed, it wasn't edited, and the first episode looked plenty intact to me (I haven't seen the Adult Swim run of the second yet).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Stueypark

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:07 am Reply with quote
To be technical, CN can air whatever it wants, whenever it wants. In the middle of early morning programming for young children they could unload a 5 minute string of obscenities if they wished. The FCC has no control over cable/sat. programming, only over broadcast TV.

The threat they do have to look out for is parents though. If CN screws up and angers a lot of parents people could block the channel, write letters, boycott, protest, etc. It's why they still have their own set of S&P despite the lack of government control.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:04 am Reply with quote
Only language edits, eh? That's good news, it shows that AS wants to show the more edgy violence and sexual themes from the original. I like how they're using the scratch sounds to cover the words; it's creative and fits in with the rest of the show. They certainly sound better than a "bleep" or cutting out the sound all together.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:07 am Reply with quote
I thought FCC did have control over cable, but has given cable a more lax set of standards.

Yet, there is a senator that wants to push Network TV standards onto cable.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:45 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
I thought FCC did have control over cable, but has given cable a more lax set of standards..

Yup, the FCC does have cable standards. Contrary to what Stueypark said, CN could not unload a 5 minute string of obscenities during the middle of children's programming. But that's one of the few restrictions imposed upon cable channels. Edits applied by CN and other cable channels are to appease sponsors, and so they aren't deluged by backlash from angry parents.
Esc

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:58 am Reply with quote
abruli wrote:
I think it had some blood and limb chopping in it as well. Are these left unedited or simply not listed because it's obvious they are edited?

That's right! You can chop off people's limbs. Just don't say anything bad to them while you are at it. So teaches us the Big Box. Twisted Evil
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Here's also something I don't get, using Rorouni Kenshin when it aired on CartoonNetwork as an example:

Why is it that non-christian references are allowed (Buddhism, Shintoism, ect), but as soon as you mention God or any reference to the Christian religion, it has to be edited out. I think that this is unfair.

My guess is that some parents don't want their children to be taught religion.

Last edited by kusanagi-sama on Tue May 24, 2005 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
Edits applied by CN and other cable channels are to appease sponsors, and so they aren't deluged by backlash from angry parents.

I doubt parents would be able to argue "Oh my goodness! They scarred my child's mind with profanity on a late-night older-teen/adult oriented block!"

But hey, some people are just pretty crazy.

The appeasing sponsors seems pretty logical, I guess.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Appeasing sponsors is a great idea, especially since 1) they give you money and 2) it's still sweeps month and 2a) you want to make sure the cost for advertising is as high as you can get it.

Oh, and Yay, Sion avatar! ^__^
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:22 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Here's also something I don't get, using Rorouni Kenshin when it aired on CartoonNetwork as an example:

Why is it that non-christian references are allowed (Buddhism, Shintoism, ect), but as soon as you mention God or any reference to the Christian religion, it has to be edited out. I think that this is unfair.

My guess is that some parents don't want their children to be taught religion.

From what I heard (and only heard), the Christian Arc in Kenshin was pretty inaccurate of Christianity, and the story wasn't so hot either.

--------------
A little question I have about the Samurai Champloo episode though. In the encyclopedia, it states that the ending theme for the second episode is "Ai no Mi" by Minmi. Though I never remember hearing this on the AS broadcast, nor on the DVD either. Any insight?

Joe Mello wrote:

Oh, and Yay, Sion avatar! ^__^

=D
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:

But hey, some people are just pretty crazy.

Indeed, it happens all the time, in situations much more absurd then your hypothetical. I don't mean so much as suing CN or anything of that nature, but you better believe that people call and write in complaining, especially those parents that equate anime with their American cartoon counterpart.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4