• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FLCL

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:35 am Reply with quote
I just watched the last two episodes...for the hell of it...and I was thinking...what was the message?

It was obviously a comming of age theme but there seemed to be something else. The idea that we all live on a placid island of ignorace amongst the world. That we are only concerned about the world around us and forget that there is a larger world...that seems to apply to where I am. Anyone else pick this up?

And another reason for this thread...Did anyone notice, in thebegining of the fifth episode, when naota kisses haruko and his dad screams and you see inside his mouth, there is a pitch fork there...what the hell is that?
msi435

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:17 am Reply with quote
My interpretation of the story is that the town they live in is stuck in a routine. Nothing interesting happens there ever, which is why Natoa is so envious of his brother, because he got to play baseball in the states. When Haurko comes she turns his world upside down by making his everyday mundane life interesting. She becomes the only one who understands him and in a way Haurko shows him love and how to open up to people...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:11 pm Reply with quote
My best guess is also what msi435 said. It's a wierd way of portraying the message though. In the first episode when they show a few minutes picturing the manga I didn't really understand it.
Dagwood

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:57 am Reply with quote
Shocked... You said it better than I could of.
Quote:
...we all live on a placid island of ignorace amongst the world. That we are only concerned about the world around us and forget that there is a larger world...
That's about what I got out of it anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:59 am Reply with quote
FLCL is about a pubescent boy's wet-dream fantasies of getting it on with an older, quitar playing, biker chick. However, such biker chicks are not interested in boys half their age, which we knew all along, but Naota doesn't realize that until the very end.
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:32 am Reply with quote
Baseball, paintball, rock 'n' roll, sex, cats, guys in giant rat costumes, robots, manga, kanga, revelation, Japanimation, Rage Against the Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc.

Philosophically, it's about everything and nothing all at once; or it's just one big Pillows music video.

But msi435 really put the whole series in perspective. Good job.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1