• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: .hack//GU Trailer

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RS4NT_786

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:59 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the trailer yet, but when is this game supposed to take place in the overall .hack timeline? Is it a prequel or a sequel? Confused
Also - will it feature some of the old characters such as Balmung or will it have a new cast?
Kaitou Orphen

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:30 am Reply with quote
It will take place in 2017, seven years after the events in the previous games.
From the trailer, it would appear Kite will be in it, but I don't think as a playable character (maybe not from the start anyways). The main, playable characters are a whole new cast.

But, seeing as how Balmung is who he is, I wouldn't be surprised if he made an appearance as well. Though I have heard the characters in the previous games will make appearances...much like the SIGN characters.

Also of note is that the G.U. series will be 3 games long...the first game in the new series is supposedly longer than the previous four games combined. I'm looking forward to it.
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:39 am Reply with quote
*gasp and fangirl squeel* UnfortuantlyI can't see the trailer until I get home because the computers here (I'm at school right now) are crap. OMG! YAY! I saw a couple of screen shots on the offical website. WOW. The graphics have been totally redone. It reminds me of the RPG Shin Megami Tensei AKA Digital Devil Saga. It has the same type of graphics from what I can tell. I am soooooooo excited now. Even though it might turn out to be another legend of the twilght, which has nothing to do with the main mystery that surrounds the first 4 games, I MIGHT still like it anyway.
DAITO

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:37 am Reply with quote
i cant believe they continued the seires after the legend of twilight. but oh well im a big fan of the series, and I've already saw the trailer and i must say the storyline has taken a turn. a bad ass turn that is they gave kite (i think it was kite he had the braclet and everything) and he looked all stiched up and there was something peculiar i saw. if youu ever played the game you would have noticed that the main bosses had titles. like skeith the terror of death. these bosses were part of some thing in the .hack game called the wave. but it seems "players" have taken on sorta the same name. like the terror of death haseo. this and the other names belonging to characters are seen in the trailer. these people are obviously important to the story line. i can only imagine what this new game brings. and i cant wait to learn more about this other character. i dont know his name but i think he may be the new main character instead of kite(main character from last .hack game), for he was shown in most of the trailer. i cant wait t get more info on this guy. so in short really syked.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:52 pm Reply with quote
So far, it looks very interesting. I can't wait to play it. Very Happy

The only few lingering questions I would have, though, is the disappearance of Aura (no statue in the cathedral) and the sudden appearance of Kite.

Could it be possible that it was actually Shugo? Shocked
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Glory Questor wrote:
Could it be possible that it was actually Shugo? Shocked

Hmmm, I was thought it was Kite myself. I, as well, can't wait to see the next .hack game series.

EDIT: Me English were no good. I fixed it.
EDIT 2: For a word. People can be uptight about that.

Last edited by Ataru on Sun May 22, 2005 1:59 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steve007101

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I knew this was inevitable. Especially because of the story.

Here's the biggest spoiler or rather the general spoiler that few probably ever got though about all of Project .Hack up until now... (at least as far as I can figure based on the games and anime, no books)

spoiler[Exact intentions aside since I never read the novels if thats even possible right now, we pretty much know that the World was created for an AI construct to be created (Aura) because of the work of a "mother" construct (Morgona) (sp) who's purpose was to collect information, she got a mind of her own having been introduced the classic variable "choice" to her own programming. Yet we also have indication that this may even be considered what the programmer Harold wanted because of the fact that he based the game even still off of the Epitaph of Twilight so only he really knows for sure and his story would explain (which is why I should read AI Buster, it's suppose to fill that in I hear). In .Hack//Sign Morgonna's plan to awaken a corrupted Aura because of her own purpose by using Tsukasa as a negative influence backfired and a good Aura was "born". In the 4 Part game saga Aura struggled to stay alive and nullify Morgonna's intentions by offering "The Twilight" to Orca, which failed so it went to Kite. The Twilight was offered in the form a bracelet with hacking abilities such as specific program rewritting to rewrite Morgonna's programs. Kite ended up fighting off Morganna's information gathering plans and another being aside from her, Cubia. Cubia was apparently activated because of the existence of the bracelet interfeiring with "The World", sort of a security program to keep things in check. He had to destroy the bracelet to get rid of Cubia (with dramatic explanation in the game) leaving him no special power to fight off Morgonna's final information gathering phase, "The Rebirth" which much like the other phases had a name fit for it's purpose and role in the events as if fortold. Using Aura's help still and his own determination he seemed to have won against Morgonna in the end just barely, yet Aura stepped in the way and took the final blow destroying her. Quite honestly we don't know for sure what really happend and why but I think I have a good theory. Seeing as Aura was the World's purpose because of Morgonna's influence, if Morgonna was destroyed then the world might also be destroyed because Morgonna is the main faberic of it, that and quite possibly as Aura's last line indicates, her feelings for her mother even still. However, if Aura was destroyed Morgonna in a sense would be "reset" and start over in a way to re-create Aura and possibly loose her negative intentions and memory, "Rebirth" in a sense, yet Aura somehow seems to have lived with all previous knowledge afterwards or rather that it was her own Rebirth because of course she is the World's purpose, the child, as Harold puts it so it can be understandable that she wouldn't truely be destroyed herself. This though then leads to believe Morgonna may choose to go against her programming again or not because of a lack of still unknown factors to me which accured before the anime and games. Aura continues to live in .Hack//Legend of the Twilight Bracelet or .Hack//Legend as they dub short named it. She gets new .Hackers to take the place of Kite and his original partner Black Rose to fight something I still only know vaguely about since I only watched the official sub of the whole anime, an "Exhiled AI" which seems to be a program similar if not directly related to Morgonna that was influenced to, just like Skeither, Morgonna's first information gathering phase, experiment with the idea of "death". Shugo, Kite's successor I suppose you could call him manages to defeat the AI with the help of Aura again and yet again restore peace to "The World". Judging by the turn of events in .Hack//Legend it leads to believe that "Morgonna" if she can be considered still alive because of programmed existence or reincarnation still exists for the purpose given which she rejects while Aura being the "child of light" still wishes to keep her from causing such harm.

The accurences in The World overall happend in the lapses of the series and games so I can believe quite easily or rather would expect there to be another time when what's left of "Morgonna" begins to become active again with a chosen purpose as part of her "Rebirth" programming while Aura will try to stop her from doing anything harmful to the people in The World. Judging by that preview we're probably dealing with yet another piece of Morgonna, in this case being influenced at it's "Rebirth" by a PK... which of course we can imagine will lead to even more complications and good old fashion genious writting in the next sequal to the .Hack Saga.]

Now that that 30 minutes summary of all of .Hack to date is out of the way... let me just say this. That Trailer KICKEDDD ASSSS. Seems like we're going to some real action for a change in the .Hack series, also a new look with what appears to be cell shading. I DEFINETLY can't wait for the game to be out![/spoiler]

Last edited by Steve007101 on Fri May 20, 2005 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kaitou Orphen

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:29 pm Reply with quote
It's also refreshing to note that both Kazunori Ito and Yoshiyuki Sadamoto will being doing the G.U. games.
DAITO

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:18 pm Reply with quote
i think the kite look alike is actually some called aida Artifically Intelligent Data Anomaly. there is this one pic i saw on this site.
http://www.dothackers.net/ its got a pick of the two new characters and in the middle is an A (i think). and im pretty sure that A stands for aida. its also in the trailer if u noticed that when the kite look alike appeared u notice a flash of light in the shape of the very same A.
Steve007101

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Hm, well perhaps. Since they chose those specific words it seems like the plot will involve or have more of a focus on "data" having a will of its own once again, we can probably expect them to intoduce more self aware data constructs, AIs. The character that looked like Kite may as well be for all we know a sort of memory fragment itself carrying out it's own will but that's for them to decide, write, and again I REALLY can't wait for more!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Steve007101 wrote:
(at least as far as I can figure based on the games and anime, no books)

Tokyopop is translating and releasing .hack//AI BUSTER, the .hack novel that occurs before .hack//SIGN. I wouldn't be surprised if they followed up and translated the .hack//ZERO novel.
Steve007101

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:06 am Reply with quote
Of course, I'm sure they will translate them considering how popular it would be alone and I will for sure buy them when they have an official release since I never even tried to look into an unofficial release, that was what I was implying.
Naiomi

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone else notice the new facial expressions?
Visually, the game looks alot better than the first .hack saga, especially in showing emotion. Now if only they can pull off a really good (and addicting) storyline, then Bandai will have made another hit.

Plus, Aida sneering makes the fangirl inside of me go 'SQWEE!'
Geno6662000

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:37 pm Reply with quote
My take from the trailer is that you start as the character in the trailer who fights Kite. You play a player killer; cocky, cruel, and strong. Then one day while playing in "The World" you enter a mysterious area with a church (Most memorable to where Tsukasa hung out and where the statue of Aura is in the first Dot Hack video game series.) where you encounter a Red Twin Blade, get your butt kicked, and have all your stats and uber weapons and armor stripped in a kind of karmic justice handed down on you by "The World." So I think you start off as a "bad guy" then Kite or the character data of Kite is sent to strip you down to nothing for constant "PK-ing."
Steve007101

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:23 am Reply with quote
Wow, I think that's an excellent possibility. I can definetly see something like that happending too, that would definetly be good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2