• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hikaru no Go Solicited

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:19 pm Reply with quote
....that was fast.

I think at this point it's safe to assume that if it's in Jump (Weekly, Ultra, USA or whichever) Viz will have first dibs.

Who wants to start a pool as to when Bleach will be announced?
Kuroro IX

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'm rooting for Funi to get Bleach. I'm happy that the first HnG DVD is coming out so soon, though.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Fast? Hikaru no Go's been off the air for two years. It's long overdue if you ask me.

I am overjoyed to hear about Hikaru no Go DVDs! I love this series so much. I can't wait to buy it.
konosuke15

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:42 pm Reply with quote
im curious as how this is goin to sell......
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:44 am Reply with quote
Dammit. Hikaru no Go is 75 episodes. I really hope they release it at least 4-5 episodes per DVD. I love this series in either paper or video form, so I'd like to support it... But I can't afford three episodes per DVD like Inuyasha (which I won't touch). Bledfsdh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:54 am Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
Dammit. Hikaru no Go is 75 episodes. I really hope they release it at least 4-5 episodes per DVD. I love this series in either paper or video form, so I'd like to support it... But I can't afford three episodes per DVD like Inuyasha (which I won't touch). Bledfsdh.

Psst... Madman Entertainment in Australia is releasing Inuyasha with 4 episodes per DVD and subtitled op/ed songs. (It makes for 14 less DVDs that way)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:05 am Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
Fast? Hikaru no Go's been off the air for two years. It's long overdue if you ask me.

I meant fast if you compare how long we went from this afternoon's "hey, HNG might be liscenced, maybe!" story to confirmation. Usually stories like those aren't verified for months.

I wonder if Viz also has the rights to the TV specials and Go Go Igo.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:18 am Reply with quote
According to the solicitation, volume 1 is 100 minutes, meaning four episodes…so at least we won’t have to put up with another Inuyasha. Of course, there still won't be subs for the OPs and EDs.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I meant fast if you compare how long we went from this afternoon's "hey, HNG might be liscenced, maybe!" story to confirmation. Usually stories like those aren't verified for months.

I wonder if Viz also has the rights to the TV specials and Go Go Igo.

That is true.

The Go Go Igo feature would make an excellent special feature. If not that, then a redone one featuring whoever's in charge of the English terms and whatnot for the English version.
Seca

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:05 am Reply with quote
Michi wrote:

If you look it up at TRSI it has the first disc listed as 100 min. long, which would mean it will probably be four episodes per disc. And the normal retail price is $24.95 (IIRC) so the pricing is pretty decent for it as well.
midori kou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:23 am Reply with quote
Now to wait for anyone to grab Tenshi na Konamaiki and Aishiteruze Baby. ^^;
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:30 pm Reply with quote
July's issue of Viz's Shonen Jump contains an article on the Hikaru no Go anime, and it makes mention of the specials and the Go Go Igo segments. It also does list September as the month for the first DVD release, and says "TBA" for it being aired in the US.
Usagi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Yay! ^___^ Smile I can't wait till it comes out >D Must... save money! Anime hyper Hm.. is it me.. or am I always broke? xDD
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:

Keep in mind that though popular shows might get picked up before they even finish running, like Gundam SEED Destiny, an anime like Hikaru no Go will fill a very small part of the anime market in North America with its niche topic-status in the US. Before I read the manga, I had never heard of go, only shogi.

And yes, Bleach needs to get licensed by Funimation. I can see it going on Toonami while its waiting for new episodes of Naruto to be translated, right alongside Yu Yu Hakusho, another Studio Pierrot title.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:

Keep in mind that though popular shows might get picked up before they even finish running, like Gundam SEED Destiny, an anime like Hikaru no Go will fill a very small part of the anime market in North America with its niche topic-status in the US. Before I read the manga, I had never heard of go, only shogi.

And yes, Bleach needs to get licensed by Funimation. I can see it going on Toonami while its waiting for new episodes of Naruto to be translated, right alongside Yu Yu Hakusho, another Studio Pierrot title.

I wouldn't count on it... Shueisha and Viz have a tendency to be tied hand in hand... moreover, Bleach would probably be more appropriate for Adult Swim. As Inu Yasha starts to die down more, Bleach can keep things going for Viz.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2