• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner Hires Shane Black for Hollywood Death Note Film

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJFryer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote
So they're really going ahead with this?
I have never seen Kiss Kiss Bang Bang but (doing a bit of research) it won awards and seems to be critically successful and since it's in a similar genre to Death Note seems to a be a good fit for director. However he was a writer on Lethal Weapon? I obviously know they'll have to change things for this to appeal to a "mainstream" audience but i really don't want to hear any crappy action one-liners in it.
It seems the pen is mightier than the gun *YEEEEEEEEEAH*
Anyway suppose all i can do is hope they pull it off well, i'll start anticipating/dreading it when they announce a cast list
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I just hope they'll actually try to make something that both fans of the anime/manga and a mainstream audience of non anime watchers can enjoy. I wonder if they'll "Americanize" it. I just hope they'll try to make it really good and not stupid like the icky Dragon Ball Evolution.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Zac Effron again, huh? *sigh*

I'm a little concerned about this project. There's already been a Death Note Live Action. Why do they have to make an American version?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:00 pm Reply with quote
JJFryer wrote:
*YEEEEEEEEEAH*

Well it looks like this Death Note thing really is a...

...Lethal Weapon.

Last edited by Big Hed on Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote
This could be interesting. I enjoyed the Lethal Weapon movies and loved Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
So, since they just hired writers, that means that "leaked script" was a hoax, huh? www

I won't knock it til I try it; if it ends up sucking, I'll honestly say it, but if it's actually good despite NOT BEING EXACTLY LIKE THE MANGA, I'll enjoy it as a standalone original story that doesn't affect the original property =/ Buuuuut no expectations.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I heard Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was a good film, and was a key factor in Downey getting Iron Man, but am not sure that makes Black the right guy for DN. He does have a mostly good writing career, too, but DN is more than just a cop flick. It needs to appeal to chicks through its quirky male leads, since they pretty much are the story, not the actual notes. Plus, he's never worked w/ CG before, and that could be a problem. [Assuming they're not using that script that made its rounds.] Well, ok, fine then, I'll roll with it for now, at least until we hear some casting news. As long as he's not a hack like James Wong[If you saw The One, you just knew DB:E was going to suck.], I can give it a chance. Personally, though, I think David Fincher would be the ideal American director for this flick.
wizardz199

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:33 pm Reply with quote
My only one hope for this work is that they keep as true as possible to the original work while dealing with the cultural constraints that are upon them, tastefully.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Wait, I don't remember this license being announced.

Well, here is to hoping they don't screw up another good show.

I just hope they learn that there is no point in adapting something they're just going to changing anyway.

Also, hoping that they realize they can't fit 37 episodes of material into a 2 hour movie.
JJFryer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
JJFryer wrote:
*YEEEEEEEEEAH*

Well it looks like this Death Note thing really is a...

...Lethal Weapon.

Okay that was good. I can't step to that level of one-liner. Truly you are the king of the cheesy one-liner *BOWS*
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:
Zac Effron again, huh? *sigh*

There's actually no "again" about it. The whole "Zac is Light!" thing has been around since the movie was first talked about as a possibiltiy, and the Full Metal Panic and Akira rumors were merely started by the anime fans with no basis on reality. It's really the fans that keep this whole Effron craze going, not Effron himself of Hollywood.

This is actually one of the few adaptations I have hopes for, though the Japanese live-action movies were enjoyable enough IMHO, so I kind of wish they were focusing on a different property. Oh well, if they get this one right, it'll be a step in the right direction.
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I'll be really sad if they somehow screw this up. If they have to make it a new location and change cultural things around, that's one thing. But if they completely miss the plot and other elements, then wow. Hollywood just doesn't get it. I'll be optimistic about this.
Thunderbird-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I thought of something. Imagine if Light in the movie says "Just according to keikaku" and a subtitle at the the bottom says "Keikaku means plan." Wouldn't that be great! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ultimafullmetal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Thunderbird- wrote:
Oh man, I thought of something. Imagine if Light in the movie says "Just according to keikaku" and a subtitle at the the bottom says "Keikaku means plan." Wouldn't that be great! Laughing

I think I would die from a surprise heart attack If I saw that.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, Death Note survived those awful Japanese live action movie adaptations. Why not? I really don't care one way or another. Maybe by some miracle this will be a decent adaption of the books.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5