• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga UK Adds Fairy Tail, Shikabane Hime Aka

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Interesting...but Funimation sounds like the safest bet to me. The series is FAR too mainstream to not get a dub and tv airing here in the U.S. which would only happen in Funi got it amongst whose listed.

I have been curious about the title of 'mainstream'. How is Fairy Tail considered mainstream before getting a dub or TV airing? Sure it has action and it is a shounen series but it looks like One Piece but with a story that is not as solid. (The mainstream American fans did not exactly leap on the OP boat.)

So when considering what is mainstream what are the factors? General fan popularity? Story? Genre? Or is the most important factor the fact that you like it and want the show or yourself to be seen as mainstream?
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Sacto0562 wrote:
My guess right now is that Kodansha--who has critical copyrights to both the manga and anime versions of Fairy Tail--is trying to decide if they go with FUNimation, Sentai Filmworks or even Nozomi Entertainment ...

Given the current state of the industry, Kodansha is likely to be interested in going with an R1 distributor that is interested in doing it at all.

And if both Funimation and Sentai Filmworks had expressed interest, what reason would there be to think that Nozomi would even be in the hunt? Their strategy seems to be more to pick up niche titles that nobody else has decided to pick up.
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:44 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
Interesting...but Funimation sounds like the safest bet to me. The series is FAR too mainstream to not get a dub and tv airing here in the U.S. which would only happen in Funi got it amongst whose listed.

I have been curious about the title of 'mainstream'. How is Fairy Tail considered mainstream before getting a dub or TV airing? Sure it has action and it is a shounen series but it looks like One Piece but with a story that is not as solid. (The mainstream American fans did not exactly leap on the OP boat.)

So when considering what is mainstream what are the factors? General fan popularity? Story? Genre? Or is the most important factor the fact that you like it and want the show or yourself to be seen as mainstream?

The manga's more popular than BLEACH is in Japan right now, the anime gets good ratings and is in one of Japan's premium time slots, and those in the US who have read the series, like it. The anime's also doing well on Crunchyroll despite being limited to a premium member only release.

It's also a very solid action title with quirky characters, good looking fight scenes, great music, and most of all, HUGE marketability potential. All of which have been seen in some of the most well known titles over here, such as Dragonball Z, Naruto and Bleach.

So yeah...it's mainstream.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote
FT and Bleach don't even come out on the same day. The latest FT volumes come out weeks after Bleach so if you look at the charts when FT is new and Bleach already had its new run finished it does look like FT is ahead but come on:First week Bleach #48 sells 462,154 copies and drops off the chart around the 700k mark. The first week for Fairy Tail #24 sold 162,199 copies and dropped off the chart around 400k.

I have no vested interest because I don't actively watch or read either of those two series. I stopped watching Bleach when the Zanpakutou arc started and I stopped watching FT a few episodes after Lucy got spoiler:spoiler[ Loki as a celestial spirit.]

FT is mainstream and popular in Japan but that does not automatically translate to American audiences. There is no doubt that Fairy Tail is an action Shounen title like the others but is being an action anime that you like enough to proclaim it as mainstream in American without so much as a NA license holder even making it available for the general public to decide?
opn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:02 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
FT and Bleach don't even come out on the same day. The latest FT volumes come out weeks after Bleach so if you look at the charts when FT is new and Bleach already had its new run finished it does look like FT is ahead but come on:First week Bleach #48 sells 462,154 copies and drops off the chart around the 700k mark. The first week for Fairy Tail #24 sold 162,199 copies and dropped off the chart around 400k.

I have no vested interest because I don't actively watch or read either of those two series. I stopped watching Bleach when the Zanpakutou arc started and I stopped watching FT a few episodes after Lucy got spoiler:spoiler[ Loki as a celestial spirit.]

FT is mainstream and popular in Japan but that does not automatically translate to American audiences. There is no doubt that Fairy Tail is an action Shounen title like the others but is being an action anime that you like enough to proclaim it as mainstream in American without so much as a NA license holder even making it available for the general public to decide?

If you look at the yearly rankings for manga you would see fairy tail rank higher then bleach.the fairy tail anime gets a 3.4 rating regulerly while bleach gets a 2.2 rating though there are some episodes that get a 3.5 rating.fairy tail is gaining massive popularity and has elements that can appeal to the shoen,magic,fan service and comedy anime fans the manga also ranks in the mew york times when a new volume comes out so like the manga if funi licences it could easily get a tv deal due to those elements.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Saying it is easy is easy. I heard fans say Soul Eater was an easy fit for AS back when AS said they were getting 3 new anime. There are also elements that while tame in our eyes(all of the female wizards esp Lucy and Erza) could really hold it back from getting a TV deal.

I love the show and music. I may even start watching it again but truthfully don't see it as an easy fit or surefire mainstream success just because of the action.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:49 am Reply with quote
Well, Adult Swim's recent bumper card states that they're currently in negotiations for a new anime.... Laughing
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:34 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Well, Adult Swim's recent bumper card states that they're currently in negotiations for a new anime.... Laughing

Adult Swim airs anime, they don't own it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:49 am Reply with quote
cohenmarioman wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Adult Swim airs anime, they don't own it.

Although they did play a major part in the acquisition of at least one anime (Crayon Shin-chan), they still have to negotiate if they want to air something.

(Unless you count IGPX - they own that one.)
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:03 pm Reply with quote
If Sentai grabs Fairy Tail anime, then there's no point in me watching the DVDs, since I am already watching the show subbed for free (my friend is letting me log into his crunchyroll account which is premium), and I seriously doubt they'd dub such a very long series with their current budget.

So hopefully Viz Media is the U.S. Licensor.....unless the rumors about FUNimation passing on Fairy Tail are false.

enurtsol wrote:

That new anime is more than likely gonna be an anime already confirmed to be dubbed, or InuYasha: The Final Act Very Happy.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
UPDATE: Manga UK has confirmed that there will definitely be an english dub on the DVDs, and that they are NOT the dubber, which means that either Sentai, FUNimation, or Viz Media has the dubbing license for this show in the U.S.

Source: http://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/30534807117107200
opn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Baby Naruto wrote:
UPDATE: Manga UK has confirmed that there will definitely be an english dub on the DVDs, and that they are NOT the dubber, which means that either Sentai, FUNimation, or Viz Media has the dubbing license for this show in the U.S.

Source: http://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/30534807117107200

we already knew that also i highly expect funi to be the licensor for alot of reasons one of them is they announced it with two other funi titles.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
OnePieceNaruto1 from FUNimation Forums?

Anyway, it sure as heck was new news to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4