• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime!! at MoMA

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:49 am Reply with quote
Now I'm going to have to see the exhibit! Shocked

Though I'm already aware of the 'Miyazaki' exhibit that's currently in motion, I definitely want to check out some of the 'Tezuka' exhibits there.

I already had the opportunity to check out the 'Takashi Murakami' exhibit that is currently on at the Japan Society. Those who haven't had the chance to check out that little exhibit should before it's gone sometime in July. All the talks for that exhibit are at this time finished.

It would be nice to see some of his older films released here domestically. We've had the chance to read the 'Phoenix' stories but we still haven't had the chance to read the 'Jungle Emperor Leo' stories (aka 'Kimba the white lion') mangas. Plus, the rest of the series still hasn't been released on DVD. Rhino Records had the rights and was at the time releasing the series on DVD. But they only released HALF of the 52 episodes. I'm almost sure by now that the license has expired due to the fact that they don't even have it up on their site anymore. Plus, putting in orders for it at Amazon.com almost puts it at a very late delivery. Meaning, they are probably not publishing it anymore, which also means you'll be lucky if you get your order.

Then there is the 'Phoenix' series which not many have seen. They follow the manga more closely. The new 'Phoenix' anime that Media Blasters picked up is still close even with the changes. Only thing is that they picked some of the stories that were never animated. Like 'Phoenix: Sun' and 'Resurrection'

As someone who works for an art college, I would advise anyone in the area to go to the M.o.M.A and see the exhibit. Very Happy

Last edited by Chrno2 on Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:01 pm; edited 4 times in total
Dejiko

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Whoops, the article title on the main page now lists the last year as 1965 instead of 2005.
IvoryBirch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I already had the opportunity to check out the 'Takashi Murakami' exhibit that is currently on at the Japan Society. Those who haven't had the chance to check out that little exhibit should before it's gone sometime in July. All the talks for that exhibit are at this time finished.

I saw that too on a May trip to New York. My great aunt was about to sell her condo in the Trump Tower as a "business move" (she's a ridiculously rich realtor Confused), so my grandmother brought my sister and me to stay there before she sold it. As it turns out, the Japan Society was practically next-door, and we visited the "Little Boy" exhibit. It was really interesting, though I must say that my sister was a little, er, put off by some of the lolicon pieces.

Anyhow, the MoMA sounds great, but unfortunately I doubt I'll be able to see it.
CaptainRisu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:03 pm Reply with quote
if i can get a bunch of friends together who know how to use NJ/NY transit i'm definately going to see that.
vherub

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:34 am Reply with quote
Awesome, this almost makes up for the bigapple animefest having been cancelled last year

can't wait to check it out
midori kou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Too bad I don't have the time to spare to fly to NY to check out the the exhibit and the rest of the art scene. Surprised
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:32 am Reply with quote
They finally updated the site a bit. I managed to find the link that lists the upcoming exhibition on anime. It also lists a small schedule of the shows that will be playing there.

http://www.moma.org/exhibitions/film_media/2005/anime.html

Though this does make up for 'BAAF', but I think I'll pass now because the line up looks pretty standard. Some of the stuff might be worth seeing. For those that haven't seen some of the older titles. I've seen 'Akira' enough. But I'm sure this will be good for those passing through or haven't seen it before. So it should be good.

Side note: I would really like to know what happened to those guys. Two cons and now they haven't been back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1