• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Infinite Stratos Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
With Sentai back acquiring licenses regularly, NIS and Aniplex in the fold, and Media Blasters and Bandai getting back in the swing of things, no one really has a first shot at any show. They may have relationships with certain companies that give them advantages, and in some cases agreements that give them first look rights, but there is no one company that gets a first shot at everything. It still comes down to bidding on many shows and who's willing to offer the most money and the best terms.

Don't you think you're overstating things a bit? Sentai seems to by and large be sticking to cheap and smaller name licenses even if they are picking them up in quantity. I'd say Highschool of the Dead is the only recent exception to that. Media Blasters is a mess, struggling just to get the licenses they already have in order. I don't even remember the last time Bandai licensed something. NIS has picked up literally a few titles and it seems pretty clear that they only plan to do super selective and niche properties. It seems to me that although it's not quite as pronounced, the R1 industry is still very much the 'Funimation show'.

I didn't state that it wasn't. Funimation is still the largest distributor. I just said that's not going to automatically give them first shot at every show from every company. Sentai may pick up a large number of smaller licenses, but they have also picked up some significant shows including HoTD, Xam'd, Appleseed, and Canaan. I also mentioned that Bandai had a recent big pick up as well with K-on!, which was a fairly pricey title.

Even many of the Geneon titles Funimation acquired, including Shana, had bids taken on them from multiple companies. It's just in some cases Funi was the highest bidder, and in the case of HoTD, they weren't. If it was the case of Funi being offered every single show first, I doubt HoTD would have been the one they let go. I'm not objecting to the point that Funi is the largest in R1, I'm simply objecting to the over-simplication of the situation.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
It's just in some cases Funi was the highest bidder, and in the case of HoTD, they weren't. If it was the case of Funi being offered every single show first, I doubt HoTD would have been the one they let go. I'm not objecting to the point that Funi is the largest in R1, I'm simply objecting to the over-simplication of the situation.

Well okay, to some extent that is fair enough. It's probably not the case that Funimation is outright given the ability to pick and choose what they want with zero competition. Still, I don't think you could say that anyone else is in a position to really make a serious bid on a show Funimation wants so it's a bit of a moot point.

Yeah, I'll grant you HotD. I don't know what to make of that. I think that's about literally the only license I've been surprised they didn't get though.

Quote:
have also picked up some significant shows including HoTD, Xam'd, Appleseed, and Canaan.

Both Xam'd and Canaan were late pick ups though. Those shows sat unlicensed for a fair while. I'm not sure what you mean by Appleseed.

Quote:
I also mentioned that Bandai had a recent big pick up as well with K-on!, which was a fairly pricey title.

What have they gotten besides K-ON? As for K-ON, it wouldn't surprise me if funimation didn't want it. It's an odd property. It's a huge hit in Japan so you know that it wasn't cheap to license. Yet, it's really quite untested outside of Japan. Sure, R1 is no stranger to otaku shows but it's pretty much always either ecchi, harem, or at the very least dramatic, key style moe. This new breed of K-on slice of life moe is actually pretty untested. The fact that it was apparently Bandai's best option for an expensive license does not exactly speak highly of their position.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Player No. 3 wrote:
In all seriousness though, it seems Sentai is really quick to license things. Does anyone know how the series is doing in Japan? I'm curious to know.

Since episode 1 aired it has put multiple volumes of the light novels in the LN top ten. In the last two weeks the sales from anime watchers have increased the LN sales by 50%.

Weekly Light Novel Ranking for Jan 10 - 16
*5, 14,379 *,*77,988 IS: Infinite Stratos vol.1
*6, 13,969 *,*74,675 IS: Infinite Stratos vol.2
*7, 13,065 *,*71,678 IS: Infinite Stratos vol.3
10, 12,205 *,*71,221 IS: Infinite Stratos vol.4
11, 11,428 *,*71,072 IS: Infinite Stratos vol.5

Other series to sell like this once the anime came out were Bakemonogatari, Durarara and OreNo which were all massive hits.... The popularity on 2ch (3rd ranked anime of the season according to that other poster + Pickachu girl, the minor character with long sleaves and that hood thingy is a big craze on it) should turn into good preorders and volume sales + massive increase in LN sales + being licensed already definitely assures a sequel will be made. So yeah haters gonna hate + *puts on shades* deal with it.

People saying this has to be cheap because it's bad or generic are pretty dumb tbh.. being "bad" is an opinion and most of the stuff that sells well in most mediums of entertainment you could probably classify as being bad or generic anyway... and the production values of the show itself are certainly not cheap.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
It's just in some cases Funi was the highest bidder, and in the case of HoTD, they weren't. If it was the case of Funi being offered every single show first, I doubt HoTD would have been the one they let go. I'm not objecting to the point that Funi is the largest in R1, I'm simply objecting to the over-simplication of the situation.

Well okay, to some extent that is fair enough. It's probably not the case that Funimation is outright given the ability to pick and choose what they want with zero competition. Still, I don't think you could say that anyone else is in a position to really make a serious bid on a show Funimation wants so it's a bit of a moot point.

Yeah, I'll grant you HotD. I don't know what to make of that. I think that's about literally the only license I've been surprised they didn't get though.

Quote:
have also picked up some significant shows including HoTD, Xam'd, Appleseed, and Canaan.

Both Xam'd and Canaan were late pick ups though. Those shows sat unlicensed for a fair while. I'm not sure what you mean by Appleseed.

Quote:
I also mentioned that Bandai had a recent big pick up as well with K-on!, which was a fairly pricey title.

What have they gotten besides K-ON? As for K-ON, it wouldn't surprise me if funimation didn't want it. It's an odd property. It's a huge hit in Japan so you know that it wasn't cheap to license. Yet, it's really quite untested outside of Japan. Sure, R1 is no stranger to otaku shows but it's pretty much always either ecchi, harem, or at the very least dramatic, key style moe. This new breed of K-on slice of life moe is actually pretty untested. The fact that it was apparently Bandai's best option for an expensive license does not exactly speak highly of their position.

That was pretty much point. Funi's got the cash to outbid pretty much anyone if they really want. But in some cases they may not pony up the cash that Sentai, Bandai or somebody else is willing to. Of course, some of the licenses they've passed on, everyone has passed on because of cost. There's a big one in particular that doesn't look too promising unless Kodansha becomes more reasonable.

The Japanese aren't going to grant a license to Funi just because their Funi. If Sentai, Bandai or Media Blasters offers more cash or a higher cut of the profits, they are jsut as likely to get the license. Not to mention, due to their size they may ask for more money from Funimation than they would from Bandai or Sentai, as they have more financial resources. You also have to factor in things like preexisting relationships, past history, etc.

As for Appleseed, I meant the movie. It was one of Geneon's biggest properties and still does very well for Sentai, enough that they could produce a second dub and release it on bluray. The franchise itself was popular enough that Warner Brothers picked up the sequel.

As for the age of Canaan and Xam'd, those shows weren't exactly ancient and Funimation has acquired many licenses that old or older (Rosario comes to mind.) Also, Xam'd was almost immediately licensed by Sony, who eventually let it go, perhaps after their other anime releases didn't perform as they had expected. Also, who knows how long Sentai actually had those licenses, since they rarely announce those before solicitation, with the exception of simulcasts like HoTD, Infinite Stratos, etc.

As for K-On!, true it may not be tested, but I think it will do well enough for Bandai. I don't know whether or not Funimation was interested in it or not, but I do know it almost ended up in the hands of another R1 who ultimately balked at the price. I don't know what Bandai ultimately paid for it, but I know TBS put a very high price tag on it. The likely could have got a few smaller shows for what they probably paid for K-on!.

Anyway, my point was simply that Funimation doesn't automatically get the first shot at every show simply by the fact of their position in their market. They do have the financial resources that they can probably outbid most of the other R1 companies should it come down to a bidding war, which are rare but still occasionally happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4