• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What habits have you picked up from manga?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
It is not a habit because, as far as I know, I have done it only once but it was influenced by manga and anime.
Yesterday a plumber did a very ordinary, simple job for me. Being a naturally polite person I would typically say an ordinary "thank you" as he was leaving. What I actually said was "Thank you for all of your hard work."
He gave me a bit of a strange look, because there was nothing at all hard about the work that he had just done, and just said "Sure, you're welcome." He is probably thinking that I am so clueless that I actually did think that the work was hard.

As many others have mentioned, I sometimes have trouble with page order.
I do not remember ever trying to start reading a book at the back but I do sometimes turn a page the wrong way. That is, if I am reading a western style book after I finish reading page 12, which is on the left side, I will flip the page back to page 11 instead of continuing on to page 13 on the right side.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I didn't exactly pick this up from Manga but I picked it up from anime. I say Gao now ( watch Air if you don't know whaty I mean) whenever I get a really painful headache.
ambercrystal

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:14 am Reply with quote
Hmmm... habits that I have picked up from manga or anime?

I tend to bow slightly when I say thank you now, and put my hands together in front of me (like they do in manga, sort of looks like the position for prayer) when I am asking for favours.

I have always been quite polite, but I have probably become slightly more polite since starting to read manga and anime.
rheiders

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quote
ambercrystal wrote:
Hmmm... habits that I have picked up from manga or anime?

I tend to bow slightly when I say thank you now, and put my hands together in front of me (like they do in manga, sort of looks like the position for prayer) when I am asking for favours.

I have always been quite polite, but I have probably become slightly more polite since starting to read manga and anime.

I do this as well. I'm a polite person and also rather shy, so I guess it just makes sense in my head to bow a little bit. Usually it feels like I should bow more, but then I remember that I live in America. Embarassed I didn't do it before I got into anime/manga, though, so I must have picked it up there.

I also have a tendency to mumble "itadakimasu" before meals (inconsistently, but sometimes it slips out). I know for a fact it's not from manga though--it's because my Japanese teacher used to drill it into us! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3