• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fractale Production Committee Halts N. American Simulcast

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Wait, did I understand that correctly?....so BECAUSE THERE ARE ILLEGAL STREAMS IN EXISTENCE FUNIMATION HAS BEEN ORDERED TO STOP LEGAL STREAMS??? So basically, people who want to watch it have no choice but to watch it illegally? That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't get it either? So........ wait what??? ?_?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
machetecat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote
ARE THEY OUT OF THEIR EVER LOVING MINDS!??!??!

I was DYING to see more of this show!! The first episode was a clusterfreak of WTF, and I wanted to know WTF it would eventually be about. The animation was amazing, and I was REALLY looking forward to this show.

NOW I CAN'T WATCH IT?!?!? BANNING THE SHOW FROM LEGAL STREAMS IS SUPPOSED TO STOP THE PIRACY?!? WHAT THE HELL IS THEIR PROBLEM!?!?
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, what terrible news. This has got to be a huge headache for everyone involved. I was looking forward to watching this show, too. :\
xBTAx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quote
So, basically... because people ripped the broadcast in Japan (assuming I have any idea how fansubbing works) and then subbed it... Funi has to take down their stream? I mean, I could understand it if the video leaked from them, but it didn't. As is, I'm wondering why Funi's been tasked with the impossible over something they had nothing to do with.
domino

Wait, what? They are taking away the only legal way of watching this show because Funimation can't magically stop illegal uploaders?

Now the illegal viewings will only increase dramatically. Good job, company.

Japanese production companies' lack of knowledge of how the internet works is amazing.
wandering-dreamer

Oh good I'm not the only confused person here. I can understand the Japanese being unhappy at the legal streams, buy why are they making Funimation take them all down/halt the simulcasts in the meantime? RAWs will still go up and, especially if the simulcast doesn't return, fans will still sub the series and fans outside of the US don't have a legal mean to watch this show in the first place. I like noitaminA shows and want to support them but if my only options are to wait for an unlikely DVD license or to watch fansubs, well, is that even really a choice?

xBTAx wrote:
So, basically... because people ripped the broadcast in Japan (assuming I have any idea how fansubbing works) and then subbed it... Funi has to take down their stream? I mean, I could understand it if the video leaked from them, but it didn't. As is, I'm wondering why Funi's been tasked with the impossible over something they had nothing to do with.

Some people just rip from CR and Funi instead of fansubbing and that seems to be why the blame is falling on them.

Last edited by wandering-dreamer on Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Glad I didn't start watching this anime yet.

But seriously, bad news.
The Fractale Production Committee needs to think about what they just did... now even more people will just pirate it.

*sigh*
If only we had a KillAllFansubs.exe to run on the internet.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the committee requested that Funimation eliminates unauthorized videos of the anime on the Internet — including streaming sites, file-sharing networks, and file servers

Oh yeah, and while you're at it, could you also genetically engineer pigs to fly? Thank you, Funimation.

Yours truly, Those Out of Touch with Reality
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote
By that same logic of banning all streams of all shows that have pirated episodes, there wouldn't be any legal streamed shows! Great logic Fractale Production Committee you just made, less money than you were with some pirated episodes existing.

What makes you think that Funimation can do what Hollywood has been trying to do for the last decade?

Last edited by jrnemanich on Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gentry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I think they might be on about the illegal copies of the "funmation stream" (so their subs etc) online but I'm not sure. I don't think they were talking about any old fansub of the show as that doesn't make sense. The RAW would have come from japan in the first place in that case.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Craaap! And I was so looking forward to following this one, too! Sad
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Goddammit! Japan is run by idiots.

I can't get over how dumb this is.

Last edited by The King of Harts on Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, I can only scratch my head like everybody else. Trying to read between the lines, the only thing I can come up with is that the FPC isn't particularly worried about amateur fansubs, they just want Funi to be more proactive about shutting down rips of the Funi simulcast?

In any case, really dumb decision. As everybody else points out, all this means is that North American viewers will experience the show as amateur fansubs instead of the legit Funi simulcast. Oi vey.

Last edited by Blood- on Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Gentry wrote:
I think they might be on about the illegal copies of the "funmation stream" (so their subs etc) online but I'm not sure. I don't think they were talking about any old fansub of the show as that doesn't make sense. The RAW would have come from japan in the first place in that case.

Boy, you'd think that, wouldn't you?

But nope. We clarified with Funimation on this. They mean everything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 26