• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: More Exposure for Anime Music Wanted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j1m0ne
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Tivome wrote:
Since Bleach is one of the hottest anime/manga property right now it would make sense that their managment would get them this gig.....

I'm not too sure how anime OPs/EDs are chosen, but sponsorship I suppose plays the main part; SonyMusic are one of the main sponsors for Bleach(and FMA) and hence, all Sony artists doing the OPs & EDs. Likewise Inuyasha/AVEX etc. A lot of anime are sponsored by King Records and Lantis, thus you get all the Masami Okui, Chihiro Yonekura and Yoko Ishida stuff.

OR might hopefully have helped raise the 'credibility' of anime songs, but there are only so many current big anime 'brands' out there that would garner much attention. Obviously anything with Gundam attached to it plus Naruto and Bleach can put unheard-of artists into the top 20. Certain anime singles do sell fairly well, Nana Mizuki's Basilisk songs, PoT singles and anything to do with Negima have all reached the upper tier of the charts. I'm sure Yoko Kanno et al are well respected and all, but they don't make the sort of music that sells records.

Me, I moved from J-music into anime music and I can totally understand why non-anime watchers hate the very mention of 'anime songs'. I couldn't stand it either at first, stuff like 'Catch You Catch Me' from CCS made me want to bang my head against the wall. But a few years of anime viewing and I've succumbed to the cuteseyness & strangled-cat singing of seiyuus like Ayako Kawasumi and the Mamiko ^^
Zoe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Tivome wrote:
The more the top acts get involved with anime or game music, the more prestigious anime music in general will become.

Except as the testimonial posted by Dejiko shows, most people simply don't care about anime tie-ups. It's just another song released by a band they like.
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Americans don't like accented music.

Is it possible for a Japanese artist to make it huge with accented songs? Maybe, but I wouldn't put money on it.
Well, I meant that they could just sing in Japanese, they probably wouldn't get too much popularity that way. I'll admit though, I'd rather listen to music in Japanese than accented English.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Missed this earlier:
Tivome wrote:
But I have the nagging feeling that, even though it's the Japanese acts who opened the eyes of American (kids at least) to the possibility of Asian pop entertaiment, it will be a Korean or Chinese artist who make it big in the US/the West first. The Japanese are just too timid to come out of their self-doubt, methinks.

That's a very interesting and, I think, smart prediction. One of these days we need a "what they're doing wrong" thread.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Where does Puffy AmiYumi fit into all of this? They piggybacked a song onto Teen Titans, got a CD out and advertised on TV, and then got their own cartoon series, which featured more of their music. Plus, they have had multiple concerts in the US, and they're getting at least some mainstream exposure. How does this fit into the fact that Asian bands and singers can't get exposure in the US beyond anime?
Buster D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I'd imagine the main reason for the NegiMa OP singles getting so high on the charts is because they only cost 700 yen unlike the standard 1000-1200 yen. Then again I seem to remember the more expensive NegiMa CD singles also doing fairly well.

That being said, I don't really care if an anime single does well on the charts, but I'd much rather have most of the OPs and EDs done by seiyuu rather than have the labels try and push their no-name J-POP artists.

That Tamaki girl who did a bunch of Seed/Seed Destiny songs is cute and the music is pretty catchy but I really don't think she can sing very well. I much would've rather had some more Lacus Clyne songs.
XCTU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:23 am Reply with quote
To clear up a few things said:
31 Seiyuu total. 5 Seiyuu sing one OP at a time (6 for the first one) and rotate every 4 episodes.

The Seiyuu's/characters doing this particular version are:
Character - Seiyuu
Narutaki Fuuka - Kimiko Koyama
Narutaki Fumika - Mari Kanou
Hakase Satomi - Mai Kadowaki (who's a cutie Anime smile + sweatdrop)
Hasegawa Chisame - Yumi Shimura
Evangeline AK McDowell - Yuki Matsuoka

Ok, here's my theory on why it's so high:
Every first edition CD copy comes with a limited edition "pactio card." For those who don't know, a pactio card is a little tarot card that appears in the series when the teacher kisses a girl and makes a "pact" with her. Simply put, these cards show up in the books, so getting the CD can get you like, a real version of a card that appeared in the books.

With that noted, Negima is getting more popular. The show is pretty well known, the manga is doing well (at least here in America it is, i'm sure it's doing fine in Japan Wink), either way, the fans want the cards, they're collectors items. I mean, i honestly don't think that a lot of people listen to their CD when they but it. Most people bought it because of the card and because it's essentially a collectors item, with 5, soon to be 6 OP's out now, if you have 3 or 4 of them, you're GONNA get the 5th one, even if you aren't gonna listen to it.

Isn't that a waste of money, though? Not really, with the CD being a very reasonable 700 yen, the collectors card that only comes with first editions, and the fact that it's part of a series of CD's, people WILL buy it. I preorder mine from CD Japan, and even a couple weeks before the CD is released, the first editions are already sold out. I will honestly say i didn't listen to any of the OP's after the first (i like that one the best) and i'm sure it's the same case with many other people.

So yeah, that might explain why sales are so high. I'm not saying that Happy Material must be good because so many people are buying it. I'm just saying that the CD sales are high for more reasons than just "It's Negima which is an awesome series OMG!!!"

I'm sure the 6th one will sell just as well because it's more of the same, its a cheap CD, part of a set, first edition comes with a card, another set of VA's (If you really like, say, Junko Minagawa or Mamiko Noto, then you might buy this or something) and if you REALLY like Happy Material, it's another version for you to have.
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:12 pm Reply with quote
DVD1 comes with a Happy Material sung by Negi, Nekane (his sister), and Anya (his friend from Wales).

Happy Material ver.7 will come out in August, and the current rumor is that it'll be from the last episode sung by all 31 girls.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:01 am Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Where does Puffy AmiYumi fit into all of this? They piggybacked a song onto Teen Titans, got a CD out and advertised on TV, and then got their own cartoon series, which featured more of their music. Plus, they have had multiple concerts in the US, and they're getting at least some mainstream exposure. How does this fit into the fact that Asian bands and singers can't get exposure in the US beyond anime?
I think you highlight an important point here. Puffy Ami Yumi can sing in English as well as Japanese and during their concerts they mix their songs between the two. How many Japanese senyuu can do that? And let's face it, the majority of the population want their popular music in the language they understand most of the time. It's the kind of music they sing in the car, or in the shower, etc.
aceface

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:31 am Reply with quote
You know, I'm pretty sure Kotoko's Re-Sublimity went to #1 in Japan, and that was from a pretty obscure anime. So it's not like songs from animation's that aren't on everybody's radar can't be successful.

Also, I agree that Rie Fu NEEDS more exposure. Not only is her music excellent, the lyrics are 80% in English already. I think American audiences would embrace her as another singer in the Vanessa Carlton mold.
Zoe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:31 pm Reply with quote
aceface wrote:
You know, I'm pretty sure Kotoko's Re-Sublimity went to #1 in Japan, and that was from a pretty obscure anime.

Its highest ranking was #8.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3