• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hikaru Utada Praises Synthesized Version of Herself

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkHunter6523

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:46 am Reply with quote
Now if only it wouldn't cost an arm and leg for Internet Co. to actually make a vocal library with her voice...
ssgOverlord

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:50 am Reply with quote
Wow, that's pretty impressive! I love Utada's voice, and this is pretty good.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote
It sounds so weird Anime hyper
But now I SERIOUSLY want her to sing this song in real life *-*
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I find it quite interesting that a person could synthesise her voice in Vocaloid format without actually having the person in the studio.

I'm not familiar with how the process works but the person doing this must have had to pull hundreds of voice samples off of Utada's CDs and import them manually into the synthesization software.

Plus as far as I'm aware it's not the Vocaloid software itself that has the ability to do the recording and synthesization. Vocaliod simply converts typed lyrics into whatever voice bank you happen to be using.

This might require additional research and a correction in the article what program was specifically used to synthesize her voice (although the article doesn't specifically say that either). Perhaps it is UTAU after all.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:40 pm Reply with quote
If only the real one sung this song......I can't wait for that to happen.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I find it quite interesting that a person could synthesise her voice in Vocaloid format without actually having the person in the studio.

I'm not familiar with how the process works but the person doing this must have had to pull hundreds of voice samples off of Utada's CDs and import them manually into the synthesization software.

Plus as far as I'm aware it's not the Vocaloid software itself that has the ability to do the recording and synthesization. Vocaliod simply converts typed lyrics into whatever voice bank you happen to be using.

This might require additional research and a correction in the article what program was specifically used to synthesize her voice (although the article doesn't specifically say that either). Perhaps it is UTAU after all.

I really don't think the people who make these Human-powered Vocaloid videos are actually using Vocaloid. At least some of them are using Melodyne, I'd wager...
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Wow.... Shocked

Weird and interesting to listen.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Doing a little online research myself it looks like this is pretty common. Whenever you do a "homemade" voicebank, such as one made of Hikaru Utada it's called an Utauloid. However it seems as though doing it without the subject's permission is highly discouraged. As I had previously thought, I'm surprised Hikaru reacted positively to it. Ah ignorance sure is bliss, isn't it?
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:46 pm Reply with quote
personally I don't like Utada Hikaru. I just find her singing voice to be too annoying. And definetly not fit to sing kokoro. Lily and Gakupo I can deal with, but not her, even for unofficial vocaloid.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:41 am Reply with quote
omegaproxy wrote:
personally I don't like Utada Hikaru. I just find her singing voice to be too annoying. And definetly not fit to sing kokoro. Lily and Gakupo I can deal with, but not her, even for unofficial vocaloid.

Are you friggin joking me dude? I at least thought that Kagamine Rin version wasn't as good as Utada's even though Utada's version sounded so broken simply because one of them sounded more adult than the other.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Doing a little online research myself it looks like this is pretty common. Whenever you do a "homemade" voicebank, such as one made of Hikaru Utada it's called an Utauloid. However it seems as though doing it without the subject's permission is highly discouraged. As I had previously thought, I'm surprised Hikaru reacted positively to it. Ah ignorance sure is bliss, isn't it?

that doesn't surprise me. utada has always been quite warm to her fanbase whether their exploits be legal or illegal. During her very short promo period of her second english album she had even said she just wanted people to listen to her music even if they couldn't afford to buy cd she wouldn't mind if they downloaded it illegally. Given a statement like that I don't see her being mad at someone making a vocaloid of her voice. Anyway I love utada and although this vocaloid version of this song was kind of weird and broken it did make me wish she could sing it for real.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1