• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Starz' Live-Action Noir Remake at Standstill

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I think we should just assume from now on that all live-action anime adaptations will end up on indefinite hiatus.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
I think we should just assume from now on that all live-action anime adaptations will end up on indefinite hiatus.

Pretty much. I would LOVE to see one done well, and felt like this one might have been good. Depressing that the only one that ended up actually happening was Dragonball :/
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

lol yea development hell
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Just like the live action Cowboy Bebop movie announcement, this is also not surprising either.

What is up with live action anime adaptations from Hollywood always ends up in development hell? Will we ever see a good decent one sometime in the future? The picture is getting bleaker every time.
GDFan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
I would LOVE to see one done well...

What about The Last Airbender?
Sorry. Not funny, for a few different reasons.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Something tells me that if Dragonball Evolution, Speed Racer, and Astro Boy were major successes, we'd be seeing fewer of these go into development hell. Since all three were box office disappointments (in both the US and Japan at least, they all set positive records in China), Hollywood has been shying away from anime ever since. Not a single anime adaptation has come to fruition (and a couple in-development were canceled).

Of them all, I'd personally love to see that Gatchaman movie happen, and maybe even the Space Adventure Cobra one, which isn't in development hell, but has yet to truly begin production. Gatchaman was in production before Astro Boy's box office results (or lack there of) shut it down.

To be fair, of all of them, Speed Racer is the only one that received much promotion, and made the most money of the three. Astro Boy and DB Evolution were promoted like crap.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:27 pm Reply with quote
GDFan wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:
I would LOVE to see one done well...

What about The Last Airbender?
Sorry. Not funny, for a few different reasons.

Yeah I would prefer Asia (Japan, Korea, and Hong Kong) to remake that film, but the problem the show was not a great hit in Asia so no Asian live-action remake of The Last Airbender. Sad Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:55 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

To be fair, of all of them, Speed Racer is the only one that received much promotion, and made the most money of the three. Astro Boy and DB Evolution were promoted like crap.

That's actually the most depressing thing about the Astro Boy movie. It wasn't a bad movie, and had more people known about it I'm certain it could've done much better than its disappointing ~8 million opening. But I guess after Imagi damn near went broke making the thing they didn't have much left over for advertising.
Sleverin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:17 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Splitter wrote:

Pretty much. I would LOVE to see one done well, and felt like this one might have been good. Depressing that the only one that ended up actually happening was Dragonball :/

No, no, do not try and incur the wrath of Akira truly being live action. Then we can add this to "the only ones to come out". Then we would be dreaming and scheming on how to burn a fair amount of the people involved in it. I can pretend that the Avatar movie doesn't exist, but man, I doubt I could ever remove live action Akira from my ancillary perceptions of reality.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Whoooray for common sense! Laughing
momthemeatloaf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:56 pm Reply with quote
People said you couldn't make a good comic book film, but then they made The Avengers. Hardly a masterpiece, IMO, but a solid movie and proof that it can be done. Proof not just to fans, many of whom probably loved at least one or two previous comic book films, but to the industry, who now have justification to make more.

With anime adapted to live actions films? I say you gotta learn to crawl before you can run. If the demand is there directors will keep trying, and if one of them finally gets it right we might see some actual quality.
KradvonWeiss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Can't Hollywood just admit to themselves that they can't adapt make a live action anime adaptation. Leave that to Japan, they know how to do it.
KradvonWeiss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Also, did anyone forget about the live-action adaptation of Fist of the North Star?
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Fist_of_the_North_Star/60037734?trkid=2361637
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:27 pm Reply with quote
KradvonWeiss wrote:
Can't Hollywood just admit to themselves that they can't adapt make a live action anime adaptation. Leave that to Japan, they know how to do it.

Actually, Japan has been hit-or-miss. The closer to reality, the better the chances.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1