Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Jump Around


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Divineking



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Posts: 1086

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:14 pm Reply with quote
That was a pretty interesting interview. Wish they had said something more definente on the Viz Manga App being added to the NOOK but hopefully that'll come around eventually. Feels kind of weird hearing them talk about how long they've all been at Viz though. Always kind of odd to remember how long it's actually been around.

Really surprised their apparently going to stick with adding brand new series though I do think they'll probably end up going after semi-established stuff like Assasination Classroom since that seems like a no-brainer with how well it's selling in Japan right now. Hopefully whatever new series they add work out, though JUMP does seem to be recovering from their drought of cancellations recently.

Hope Zac gets to interview the people on the anime side of Viz as well. They've changed a bit recently and I'm curious what's going on with that too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cecilthedarkknight_234



Joined: 02 Apr 2011
Posts: 3530
Location: Louisville, KY

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
That was a pretty interesting interview. Wish they had said something more definente on the Viz Manga App being added to the NOOK but hopefully that'll come around eventually. Feels kind of weird hearing them talk about how long they've all been at Viz though. Always kind of odd to remember how long it's actually been around.

Really surprised their apparently going to stick with adding brand new series though I do think they'll probably end up going after semi-established stuff like Assasination Classroom since that seems like a no-brainer with how well it's selling in Japan right now. Hopefully whatever new series they add work out, though JUMP does seem to be recovering from their drought of cancellations recently.

Hope Zac gets to interview the people on the anime side of Viz as well. They've changed a bit recently and I'm curious what's going on with that too.


Maybe my question about hayate will be answered then I really didn't pay attention to's magazine so was a waste. In all honesty I should have asked if they ever plan on licensing the original love ru manga, then just out digital volumes online. This series I know did run in the weekly shonen jump magazine in japan before it's cancellation and resurrection known as to love ru darkness in jump high magazine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Thatguy3331



Joined: 18 Feb 2012
Posts: 1201

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Ah time to prepare my subscription...

as for the one piece thing ITS 4KIDS FAULT!! THEY ARE ROOT OF ALL EVI- Ok not entirely. I agree with the theory and I've always saw it that way and I'll honestly say I was surprised that it was a manga when I got into the manga.

YYH and HXH as vizbigs? WANT! Beelzebub?GET THAT MUTHAF***IN MANGA!!

I really got a kick out of one punch man's history, this along with Assasination classroom have been some of my more favorite new series (and maybe nisekoi, but I'm behind and heard cross manage isn't doing quite well...)

I still want my physical volumes, DON'T take away my physical volumes!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lord Geo



Joined: 18 Sep 2005
Posts: 1118

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
These three were probably the most gung-ho & excitable guests ANNCast has ever had. Not that I'm complaining, though, because their energy was really addictive and I think it only helped showcase their hopes & dreams for the new English Shonen Jump. Hell, I'm going to subscribe for a year of WSJ because of their positive attitude; well, that and I am interested in One Punch Man.

I'm glad to hear Misaki be so excited about Kochikame; I've seen the two anime movies & they were hilarious, so I wouldn't mind being able to read some of the manga. Plus, considering how it's been in the Japanese magazine since 1976, having a chapter in the English magazine would just help make it "feel" like it truly is Weekly Shonen Jump... At least, that's how I would feel about it; the fact that Kochikame's comedy is more visual & "real-life"-oriented might also make it easier for non-Japanese fans to get into than Gintama (I love Gintama, but Kochikame is simply more accessible). I'm not expecting seeing a chapter in every issue for the next "75 years", but it would be cool to see enough chapters to fill a physical book or two. Seeing Viz do "best-of" releases for stuff like Golgo 13 & Oishinbo just makes me want to see something similar for Kochikame over here.

Also, I understand the focus on having new series right now, but I do hope that, eventually, WSJ English can try out some presently-running titles, like Beelzebub, or even a classic title, like Ninku (it inspired Naruto, afterall). But I do like the idea of maybe doing "special appearances" & one-shots, though; I already sent them via Twitter my one-shot request (Luck Stealer).

Good luck, guys!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tuxedocat
He started itHe started it


Joined: 14 Dec 2009
Posts: 2135

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I hope these Viz people are reading this thread, and if you are:

Your android "app" is not available for 10" tablets!

You guys say, "We have android already!" at around 57:15 in the podcast. No you don't. I have an android phone and a 10" tablet. Your app will download in my phone, but not the tablet.

I'm not interested in reading manga on a phone. Too small. Not something I will pay for. I have money. Do you guys really want it?

I'm certainly not subscribing now, as things are. The attitude of "we have android already" doesn't sound like you feel the need to go any farther, and you are missing out on a part of the market because of it.

Would anyone be happy with a print manga the same dimensions as a phone?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
bleachj0j



Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Posts: 487

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah they either need to expand to more tablets or Nook.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zac
ANN Executive Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 7042
Location: Snake Mountain Cocktail Lounge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:38 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I hope these Viz people are reading this thread, and if you are:

Your android "app" is not available for 10" tablets!

You guys say, "We have android already!" at around 57:15 in the podcast. No you don't. I have an android phone and a 10" tablet. Your app will download in my phone, but not the tablet.

I'm not interested in reading manga on a phone. Too small. Not something I will pay for. I have money. Do you guys really want it?

I'm certainly not subscribing now, as things are. The attitude of "we have android already" doesn't sound like you feel the need to go any farther, and you are missing out on a part of the market because of it.

Would anyone be happy with a print manga the same dimensions as a phone?


Someone did ask about 10" Android tablets and I had no idea what that meant - I think the question was phrased as 'when will 10 android devices be supported' and I assumed it was some strange typo or something. So I paraphrased it down to 'Android?'.

The answer to that question isn't their fault, it's mine for not understanding the context of the question and then asking it wrong. I'm an iOS user, so I had no idea there was an issue on Android tablets. My apologies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
tuxedocat
He started itHe started it


Joined: 14 Dec 2009
Posts: 2135

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:06 am Reply with quote
No problem, Zac. Everything's cool.

I still get plenty of digital manga. Just not from Viz.

Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Cecilthedarkknight_234



Joined: 02 Apr 2011
Posts: 3530
Location: Louisville, KY

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
No problem, Zac. Everything's cool.

I still get plenty of digital manga. Just not from Viz.

Razz


That depends on your sources for the app, I've got a 7in tablet that isn't suppose to support the app but thanks to unrooting the device and installing the store through apidote it works fine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Buster Blader 126



Joined: 14 May 2005
Posts: 1135
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:07 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that Viz has taken the steps to have chapters from certain WSJ titles come out the same day as Japan.

Now if only Shueisha/Shogakugan can figure out how to prevent people from uploading scans of the chapters onto the internet. I imagine there are still a sizable amount of people who see that the scans are 3-5 days ahead of the official release and go "welp the scans are faster." Confused

Nay-sayers can claim that the scans aren't good quality and the translations are bad all they want, but frankly recent scans (the image) of the biggest hits are good in quality and people wouldn't know if the translations are bad or not, or think that it's "good enough" anyway.

I will likely jump on board with WSJ at some point - I AM tempted - just not now. I'm largely a book person and have no urge to be "caught up." Until then, I'm fine with being behind and reading SJ titles via my public library while sending them requests to buy more manga. Free AND legal! Very Happy Until then, my money Viz-wise goes to their shojo titles (Kimi ni Todoke, Otomen, Skip Beat!, Strobe Edge), their neglected back catalog (Firefighter!, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Saint Seiya) and titles that REALLY need the support (Cross Game, Hayate the Combat Butler).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
TitanXL



Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 4035

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:58 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Also, I understand the focus on having new series right now, but I do hope that, eventually, WSJ English can try out some presently-running titles, like Beelzebub


They said they didn't want to print anything with nude children in it so I don't think that will happen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
generalkorn12



Joined: 27 Apr 2010
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
Also, I understand the focus on having new series right now, but I do hope that, eventually, WSJ English can try out some presently-running titles, like Beelzebub


They said they didn't want to print anything with nude children in it so I don't think that will happen.


Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Viz Media release Dragonball with Gokus p***s intact?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guardsman Bass



Joined: 05 Jun 2009
Posts: 158

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
They're finally doing simultaneous release?

Good enough for me, although I don't really care for actually owning it. I'll pay my $0.99 cents a week.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CrowLia



Joined: 24 Feb 2012
Posts: 2172
Location: Mexico

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:24 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
I'm glad that Viz has taken the steps to have chapters from certain WSJ titles come out the same day as Japan.

Now if only Shueisha/Shogakugan can figure out how to prevent people from uploading scans of the chapters onto the internet. I imagine there are still a sizable amount of people who see that the scans are 3-5 days ahead of the official release and go "welp the scans are faster." Confused



Yes, because now that the States has simultaneous WSJ, there's no need for the rest of the world to read manga.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
configspace



Joined: 16 Aug 2008
Posts: 2962

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:55 am Reply with quote
generalkorn12 wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
Also, I understand the focus on having new series right now, but I do hope that, eventually, WSJ English can try out some presently-running titles, like Beelzebub


They said they didn't want to print anything with nude children in it so I don't think that will happen.


Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Viz Media release Dragonball with Gokus p***s intact?

See: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-10-07/maryland-school-library-to-remove-dragon-ball-manga
Quote:
A similar incident occurred in 1999 when a Dallas parent complained about "borderline soft porn" images of "naked boys and girls" in Dragon Ball Z comics that he bought for his four-year-old son at a TOYS R US store. According to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, TOYS R US removed the manga from all stores nationwide in the middle of November of 1999. The Dragon Ball manga volumes that Viz printed in North America after this earlier incident contain edited images and dialogue.

In any case, everything is censored by Viz now, unless otherwise labeled/marketed as uncut. But none of those few are the Shounen/SJA titles, nor are they available through their app:
vizmanga.com wrote:
Please note: Mature series can only be accessed via the web reader from your PC or Mac.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group