• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei to Release One Piece

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:48 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Emerje wrote:
Still, Al Khan did say that an uncut version was coming, this just isn't it.

Emerje

And how far are you willing to believe such BS promises?

Is there any reason not to believe him. He hasn't made any promises that he hasn't kept yet. When was the last time they said something they didn't do?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:23 am Reply with quote
I want so much to own this series on DVD. I'm almost tempted to buy this version just to tide me over, but that is some hideous box art. Sad

It's only 66 minutes, so I assume that's three episodes? I suppose that's not too bad given the circumstances. At least it's still One Piece underneath everything.
neoboy3000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:39 am Reply with quote
yeah, speaking as a graphic designer, that is some HIDEOUS box art...but, there is also a chance it could changer. the first disc isnt due until the end of september, so who knows what will happen between now and then. i know we'd all love to see it uncut, but that's a heck of a commitment to start buying dvds for such a long show...Anime smile
Laruto

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:56 am Reply with quote
I was on toonzone and one of the posters there said that Mike sinterniklass said he and the others VA's have already begun redubing the series for uncut release, so maybe that counts for something. Either way a edited release doesn't surprise me because 4kids would be stupid not to do one, to cash into the pockets of the childrens parents. I wonder now if 4kids is going to make toei release all of their properties in the future?
Treeloot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
MAN, is that some ugly, kiddified box art design.

I think it fits the goofier nature of the series pretty well. One Piece IS a kids series. I love it, but I'll be the first to admit it.
Dejiko

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:32 pm Reply with quote
nakama wrote:
if you want to see one piece uncut i know a really good place for one piece fansubs.

That's nice, how about you go troll there then? Rolling Eyes
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:07 pm Reply with quote
nakama wrote:
if you want to see one piece uncut i know a really good place for one piece fansubs.
This 'ain't exactly the right place for saying this stuff, but enjoy your stay anyway. The point of this annoyance over the DVD is that people who want the DVDs don't want to buy something that looks "kiddie", as Wyvern accurately put it. I'll admit, it looks rather ridiculous.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:13 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
nakama wrote:
This 'ain't exactly the right place for saying this stuff, but enjoy your stay anyway. The point of this annoyance over the DVD is that people who want the DVDs don't want to buy something that looks "kiddie", as Wyvern accurately put it. I'll admit, it looks rather ridiculous.

Yeah, but how many people want it uncut compare to how many tv fans just want what they saw on tv to be on DVD.
Remember, Dragon Ball Z and Yugioh's cut version were big seller. They were also 60 min each dvd and with a 19.99 price tag just like one piece.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I dunno. The fact that they're pointing out that it's the English TV version makes me think that they will bring out an English and Japanese uncut version. >_> Otherwise why make the notice?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryusui

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:13 pm Reply with quote
1. I don't really care about One Piece in any form, but this is nonetheless a matter of principle for me.

2. Yes, the artwork for the first volume is crap.

3. 4Kids alone gives me pause, but Toei themselves sanctioning this makes it official: we won't be getting an uncut version at all. All we will ever have is empty promises. Doesn't matter if 4Kids has a change of heart (which they won't): Toei is the final authority in this matter, and if they don't want an uncut version on our shores, it's hammerguns for life.

...Too bad most One Piece fans seem to be bibliophobes. They'd have no problems at all if they'd just learn that those strange black-and-white backwards-reading comics from Japan won't singe their eyes or bite their hands off if they try to read them...
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Emerje wrote:
Still, Al Khan did say that an uncut version was coming, this just isn't it.

Emerje

And how far are you willing to believe such BS promises?

Is there any reason not to believe him. He hasn't made any promises that he hasn't kept yet. When was the last time they said something they didn't do?

Emerje

Shamn King Uncut and Yu-Gi-Oh Uncut. They seem to have stopped abruptly.....
animalia555

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:08 pm Reply with quote
It is stuf like this that makes honest fans like me turn to bootlegs.
DeSpawn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Me thinks its English TV Verson to inform the masses that this is indeed NOT uncut.

Since many people who may be interested in buying it may not be as knowledgable about Anime News. Thus might be suprised to see it on DVD, buy it and be horified of it contents. The small print in the conner would be a safe "cover your ass" location for a disclamer. Which is the most likely reason tis there. Is it a herald of things to come...a uncut BOX sex...maybe Wink

I certanly hope to see this one day Uncut because...well I'd like to see it Smile
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:20 pm Reply with quote
How come in the product description Roronoa Zoro's name is actually given as "Zoro" instead of the "Zolo" name they've been sticking with since the anime came out and the manga name change at approx. Shonen Jump #23? Not that I'm complaining or anything, since Zoro is much better.
arxane

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
How come in the product description Roronoa Zoro's name is actually given as "Zoro" instead of the "Zolo" name they've been sticking with since the anime came out and the manga name change at approx. Shonen Jump #23? Not that I'm complaining or anything, since Zoro is much better.

Pronounciation and spelling are two different things. It's the same reason why on Inuyasha, Sango's demon-cat is prounounced "Kilala" but is spelled "Kirara" in the subtitles, since the Japanese "r" and "l" are spoken very similarly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7