• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei to Release One Piece

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:00 pm Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
Necros Antiquor wrote:
How come in the product description Roronoa Zoro's name is actually given as "Zoro" instead of the "Zolo" name they've been sticking with since the anime came out and the manga name change at approx. Shonen Jump #23? Not that I'm complaining or anything, since Zoro is much better.

Pronounciation and spelling are two different things. It's the same reason why on Inuyasha, Sango's demon-cat is prounounced "Kilala" but is spelled "Kirara" in the subtitles, since the Japanese "r" and "l" are spoken very similarly.

Yes, but every time his name has been written, it's been written as Zolo, so it's pronounced the same way it's spelled. However, in the description, it suddenly changes to Zoro. I understand your arguement (I have since I saw FLCL), but it doesn't apply to my question.
spider-moose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:32 pm Reply with quote
but does anyone know if the Mangas stayed unedited and without changes to the names like some people have said they were

I have up to volume 4, so I'm wondering if they do them like alot of people said they did
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
spider-moose wrote:

but does anyone know if the Mangas stayed unedited and without changes to the names like some people have said they were

I have up to volume 4, so I'm wondering if they do them like alot of people said they did

Zoro's name was changed to Zolo when volume five was released. I'm not sure if Viz went back and repressed the first four volumes to include Zolo or not though. I wonder...

The rest is in its original format, cigarettes, guns, rum, and all.
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Emerje wrote:
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Emerje wrote:
Still, Al Khan did say that an uncut version was coming, this just isn't it.

Emerje

And how far are you willing to believe such BS promises?

Is there any reason not to believe him. He hasn't made any promises that he hasn't kept yet. When was the last time they said something they didn't do?

Emerje

Shamn King Uncut and Yu-Gi-Oh Uncut. They seem to have stopped abruptly.....

No, Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh! are still being released uncut. It's just that 4Kids is taking a really long time releasing them since they don't want it to compete with the cut version. (Though it would end up like how Geneon's Cardcaptor Sakura DVDs greatly outsold Nelvanna's Cardcaptors DVDs) They also fear that stupid kids and/or parents will buy the uncut version by accident and might possibly complain or sue.

Also, there will probably will be an uncut version to One Piece. You don't redub something unless you plan to make another version or make a better version with a new cast. If they do make a sub version, hopefully it won't end up like the subtitles for the hard at hearing. Still, I don't mind taking money away from 4Kids. They don't deserve a penny from me.
spider-moose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:51 pm Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
Quote:
spider-moose wrote:

Zoro's name was changed to Zolo when volume five was released. I'm not sure if Viz went back and repressed the first four volumes to include Zolo or not though. I wonder...

The rest is in its original format, cigarettes, guns, rum, and all.

if its just that then I will probably still buy them, but I'm a purist most of the time, matters what it is, I like having my things the way they are when they were first released, not just anime, I mean everything

I don't mind edits in shonen jump but the graphics novels should be left without edits, I don't know if all the shonen jump graphic novels are unedited, but it seems like it has Dragonball volume 1 has bulma nude without editing it, I wish there was a site that had the edits in stuff like this, if its small stuff I don't care, but taking out panels/pages, re writing the dialog are things I don't care for
Treeloot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:59 pm Reply with quote
animalia555 wrote:
It is stuf like this that makes honest fans like me turn to bootlegs.

What the heck? Physical bootlegs usually have worse translations and worse name chages. It boggles my mind why you'd want them even over this.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð wrote:
They also fear that stupid kids and/or parents will buy the uncut.

I haven't heard them state anythning that would so much as imply that they think that's a problem.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:56 am Reply with quote
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð wrote:
They also fear that stupid kids and/or parents will buy the uncut version by accident and might possibly complain or sue.

The Japanese companies do fear getting their asses sued off in this country. I heard from Media Blasters that's why even when they showed interest in Battle Royale the Japanese compnay was too afraid of getting sued.

I must say that sadly soccer mom parents rights groups in this country are too up in arms and sue happy. They shield kids a bit too much. Personally, I want kids exposed to more death and blood in their anime. Post 9/11 people are stupid and want to stick their kids heads in the sands more. I think it should be the opposite.

-Xenos
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:46 am Reply with quote
Treeloot wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
MAN, is that some ugly, kiddified box art design.

I think it fits the goofier nature of the series pretty well. One Piece IS a kids series. I love it, but I'll be the first to admit it.

Kids' series means different things in American than in Japan, though. The Japanese have a tendancy to try to market to the broadest audience possible-so even if a show like OP is marketed at kids, it's written so that people of all ages can enjoy it. In America, there's a push to market to only one or two demographics so advertisers know what products to push, and shows can actually get taken off the air for being popular with the wrong age group.

So even if it's marketed at youngsters (like all series to come out of Jump; Naruto, Hikaru No Go, Bleach, etc) that doesn't mean it's intended soley for children. If it was, 4Kids wouldn't have to edit it. And besides, I'd like to see stuff like the Arlong Arc show up in most American "kids' series."

For comparison's sake, here's the boxart for the first japanese release:

Quite a difference, huh? The cover of each volume is a Wanted poster for a different character. See, that's what happens when you don't let a sleep-deprived intern design the covers. Wink
Demaar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:08 am Reply with quote
I'm wondering why so many people seem surprised by this. We know how 4kids operates, we know how Toei operates, why all the shock?
Personally, I'd be surprised if they did release an uncut version on DVD like Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh...
I'm not gonna get my hopes up, so I'll be downloading my fansubs until I hear solid news of it happening.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:37 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Kids' series means different things in American than in Japan, though. The Japanese have a tendancy to try to market to the broadest audience possible-so even if a show like OP is marketed at kids, it's written so that people of all ages can enjoy it. In America, there's a push to market to only one or two demographics so advertisers know what products to push, and shows can actually get taken off the air for being popular with the wrong age group.

So even if it's marketed at youngsters (like all series to come out of Jump; Naruto, Hikaru No Go, Bleach, etc) that doesn't mean it's intended soley for children. If it was, 4Kids wouldn't have to edit it. And besides, I'd like to see stuff like the Arlong Arc show up in most American "kids' series."

DING DING DING. Wyvern nailed it.
nakama

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:39 am Reply with quote
Demaar wrote:
I'm wondering why so many people seem surprised by this. We know how 4kids operates, we know how Toei operates, why all the shock?
Personally, I'd be surprised if they did release an uncut version on DVD like Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh...
I'm not gonna get my hopes up, so I'll be downloading my fansubs until I hear solid news of it happening.

thats what i want to hear Twisted Evil

but really i dont know why 4kids and even toei are screwing everyone over

look at what they are doing

the cover-that dvd cover for there one piece dvd is huge pile of crap

bootlegs-now i know i cant talk about them here (I've read "teh rules") and i know you cant give out fansub websites here which is pretty stupid rule, but anyway the fansubs are better then the garbage shown on 4kids tv. what i dont understand is mostley everyone here is like "you screwed us over by taking the show we will wait till 2010 for your uncut release because thats the honest thing to do"
well i say why wait and give money to now 2 evil companys
i say screw them over and download and bootleg as much as you can
4kids dont care about us so you should not care about stealing money from al khan, he deserves it anyway

oh and another thing i remember the talk of "uncut" ultimate muscle...in 2003 its been 2 years and look no uncuts who says they never lie
Sketchee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:51 am Reply with quote
animalia555 wrote:
It is stuf like this that makes honest fans like me turn to bootlegs.

No, honest fans have self-responsibility and realize that no one can "make" them turn to bootlegs. They make that choice for themselves.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Wonder if Customs will allow me to import Anime again for personal use.....
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Is there any reason not to believe him. He hasn't made any promises that he hasn't kept yet. When was the last time they said something they didn't do?

4Kids has:

1) Promised One Piece to get a minimal edit treatment.
2) Said that Pokemon uncut would come out as far back as 2002.
3) Pretty much promised that One Piece would keep the original theme song.
4) Said that all of their shows will get uncut versions.
5) Delayed uncut DVDs for the sole purpose of pissing people off. They announced "Pai Long Attacks!" for a February 22nd date, and "Black Flame - Red Eyes Black Dragon" and "Ryu is Possessed" for an April 5th date, WHY THE HELL AREN'T THEY ON MY SHELF?

4Kids is the only anime company in the industry that's doing everything ass backwards. Don't say they're not an anime company, they can't bullshit on saying that their shows are American like they could with Pokemon and YGO.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7