• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What does everybody think of Paranoia Agent?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moto

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if anyone likes psychological thrillers like Paranoia Agent? I mean, it's way more creepy than Perfect Blue in my opinion. So, post any opinions that you other people have.

And besides, I'm not good at forums. I overload the Emoticons and make bad topics. But, I have inspiration due to school ending today. Did I say I was 14? Hmm...

I am younger, wayyyyy more new than you guys, but, I still watch whatever anime I like.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't really call it a thriller... more of an analysis

anyway, it's a pretty good show, even if you don't understand most of the crap going on, you will still be very entertained because it's a fun show

anyway, remember, you TOO will become the RADAR MAN Razz
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Ahhh, this is much better. Thanks, Moto! Wink This actually is not a bad topic.

Psychological thrillers, when they're well made, make up some of my favorite anime. I agree that Paranoia Agent and Perfect Blue are both gems in terms of storytelling (Paranoia Agent just blew me away; I just love subtle creepiness in it). I can't think of anything else I've seen in recent times that has had quite the same effect on me as either of those. Boogiepop Phantom and Serial Experiments Lain are certainly worth a look if you find that you enjoy the particular style of storytelling in the two titles you mentioned. And one of my favorite anime films ever is Mind Game, which is certainly psychological but not so much a thriller.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I have only seen Vol.1 of the DVD, but I like it a lot. It's very different compared to a lot of other anime I've seen.

I also watched the interview with Satoshi Kon in the extras, and I find it odd that his inspiration for this series was just a bunch of leftover ideas he never used in his movies. I mean, what kind of movie would've been made had he actually used everything (or close to it) that he had?

The character designs have a nice realistic feel, the animation is nice and smooth, I like the music by Susumu Hirasawa (love the intro Razz), and the dubbing is also very good from what I've listened to.

In any case, aside from what I liked in the first volume, I hear the ending is a bit dissapointing, but I'll try and buy the rest of the series over the summer and see it for myself.
Moto

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:44 pm Reply with quote
What are you talking about as in RADAR MAN, DKL? Don't you mean Lil' Slugger?
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

In any case, aside from what I liked in the first volume, I hear the ending is a bit dissapointing, but I'll try and buy the rest of the series over the summer and see it for myself.

The ending is only disappointing when you turn into RADAR MAN *yup, I love that*

anyway, just remember that all of Kon's works can be explained using rational logic... try not to take the ending too literally when you see it

The ending was very dynamic and well thought-out, there can't possibly be a better one for the series

and most of all, it was really entertaining and well animated

hopefully, I didn't spoil anything... I'm pretty sure I didn't

EDIT: About RADAR MAN: just keep watching, it's cool... I can't really talk about it, but you're intrigued yes? Very Happy
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Paranoia Agent is a good introduction to the more psychologically oriented animes, like boogiepop phantom, as it actually gives an explanation (well, somewhat) at the end, for those of you who like / need that sort of thing. But do watch it to the end, don't give up if it makes no sense after episode 10 (for example), it really is worth it.
It's also nowhere near as dark as the rest of that genre.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:29 pm Reply with quote
It's ok, entertaining enough to pass the time, I'm a fan of series like Lain and like psychology so I suppose I'll stick with it, if only to find out what the F%#* is going on.
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:42 pm Reply with quote
If you liked Lain, you won't be disappointed. I promise!
Aokage

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I've been a fan of Paranoia Agent for some time now. I used to work at Suncoast and we had a list of animes that came out for the entire year from various publishers. The name Paranoia Agent really stood out on the list, so I waited for its release, and picked it up on the first day of it being out. Sequentially, the show suddenly blew up with popularity, so now I probably seem like a trend whore as opposed to somebody with their own taste...but meh...it is a great series.

I wouldnt' say it is better than Perfect Blue (which was just a great number of mind screws, like in Fight Club...though not as elaborate and well done)...but Paranoia Agent is a stand up series.
I have yet to see Boogie Pop Phantom, but I want to. As far as pyschological thrillers though, I'd say Serial Experiments Lain still holds the crown. Paranoia Agent just demands that you pay attention...grasping Lain however...that is a skill.
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I thought the series was interesting for a while. Then it got bogged down with side stories that explained the effects of Shounen Bat, but felt more like filler.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:18 pm Reply with quote
nah, those episodes are needed to make sense of what happens in the end

without them, you'd be like "huh? how is that even possible?"

well, that's what I thought anyway...

it'd be interesting to get someone to watch the series and skip those episodes though to make sure...

any volunteers?

If you were interested in the series, try getting volumes 1,2 and 4

and see if you can still make sense of the series...

or if you get the box set, try doing it... a certain amount of risk is there though, you might get pissed off at me if you don't like it Razz

----------------------------------

*comments removed because of possible spoilers*
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:15 am Reply with quote
that's funny, cause i thought the fillers were the most fun episodes to watch in the series. episodes 8 and 10 were just fantastic.
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:35 am Reply with quote
"Do you have ANY idea why I'm doing cut 256 AGAIN!?... It's because YOU lost it!" Laughing

yeah, I loved those episodes, but still, they are a necessary part of the series if you ask me... you just won't get the full impact of the ending without them

I hope KON makes another TV series soon, but what should it be about?

his talents are better suited to a TV series since he gets to convey much more

I also hope he doesn't outsource the animation again, the animation here is WONDERFUL

as for a new TV series by him...

I like Shoujo, so what about an analytical MAGICAL GIRL series? *worst idea ever* Razz
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:32 am Reply with quote
I like the opening. It's lovely.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4