• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What does everybody think of Paranoia Agent?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:07 am Reply with quote
Moto wrote:
I wonder if anyone likes psychological thrillers like Paranoia Agent? I mean, it's way more creepy than Perfect Blue in my opinion. So, post any opinions that you other people have.

And besides, I'm not good at forums. I overload the Emoticons and make bad topics. But, I have inspiration due to school ending today. Did I say I was 14? Hmm...

I am younger, wayyyyy more new than you guys, but, I still watch whatever anime I like.

Yay!!!! I'm older than someone here!
Well today I watched the first episode of Paranoia Agent, so I'll tell all my first impressions. I loved it! It's such a good contrast to the other series I've been watching recentle (Naruto, RahXephon and FMP Fumoffu). It's fast-paced, creepy, full-on, confronting, to the point, realistic, believable and most of all good. The first episode was very much like Perfect Blue, succesfully, quite well-known woman is attacked and the public loses respect and she's 'all-alone' but nevertheless this is definately a series I'm sticking to until the end and right now I'm going to watch episode two.
perro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:55 am Reply with quote
The beginning is a tad bit wierd but overall makes you want to watch it
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm not gonna watch it. By the time it hooks me, i'm off watching Modern Marvels or Law and Order.
msi435

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:12 pm Reply with quote
It starts out good... then... Rolling Eyes well watch it and you will see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ardon150

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I love that show! it's sooo wierd and mysterious, I LOVE IT!
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:09 pm Reply with quote
So far, I'm entertained by it, but not to the point where I'm ready to rush out for the DVD's. Maybe it's just because the series is taking it's time in building up to "The Real Truth".

In reality, I'm probably just miffed because I want GitS:SAC Second Gig on the air that much sooner. :roll:

Oh, and DKL, there is an analytical magical girl series already in existence. Shoji Kawamori's Arjuna.
Uwe DunkelGeist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:20 pm Reply with quote
in my mind, this series presents some entertaining view points to think about. the characters in this series, each appear to represent some form of fear. This is what I can figure thus far into the series. I may be wrong in my interpetation.
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:

Oh, and DKL, there is an analytical magical girl series already in existence. Shoji Kawamori's Arjuna.

oh yeah! I remember now... hell, we even discussed it a while back
totalgeek

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:48 am Reply with quote
Uwe DunkelGeist wrote:
in my mind, this series presents some entertaining view points to think about. the characters in this series, each appear to represent some form of fear. This is what I can figure thus far into the series. I may be wrong in my interpetation.

To me, the series seems very reminiscent of the old Twilight Zone. There are constantly these odd twists, and there is a general sense of creepiness pervading the episodes. And I love that it is clearly not intended for little kids.

I like it a lot, so far. I just wish I understood it all! Very Happy
OTP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Last night's episode was pretty good, not as good as last week's (which was fantastic), but still pretty good.

One question I had about it, though, was spoiler[what was the relationship between Maria (Hiromi) and Ichi? How did those two know each other and why did she come to visit him in the hospital?]
Mei26

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I am glad to see all of these viewpoints here. I have wanted to find a new anime that I could really get into, and thought that P.A. sounded interesting. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has seen it.

I am feeling fairly certain that I am going to be creeped-out by it, but it still sounds like something I want to see.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:56 pm Reply with quote
OTP wrote:
One question I had about it, though, was spoiler[what was the relationship between Maria (Hiromi) and Ichi? How did those two know each other and why did she come to visit him in the hospital?]

spoiler[She was his tutor in last week's episode, remember? His "oasis of the heart" or whatever.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
totalgeek

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:28 pm Reply with quote
OTP wrote:
Last night's episode was pretty good, not as good as last week's (which was fantastic), but still pretty good.

You thought the Maria story wasn't as good as the one about Ichi? I thought it was actually better because spoiler[I felt like Ichi was just some stuck up little brat who was having a breakdown because the fat kid turned out to be a really good person and he couldn't compete.] On the other hand, I really felt bad for Hiromi/Maria. spoiler[She was stuck between a life of loveless boredom with the college professor (Why was she even marrying the guy? The whole "wedding" thing seemed so sad. I felt bad for her when the took the wedding picture and she said "It's almost like we're getting married for real" or however she said it, as though she didn't even consider her marriage to be real), and being a dirty, dirty whore... ]Actually, when I put it like that it gets me excited! Very Happy
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote
isn't it HARUMI CHONO? *or something*

I think we mixed her name with MAROMI Razz

anyway *about the thing*:

spoiler[

The circumstances behind why they were getting married... wasn't really necessary, anyway, we just know that they've know each other for a while... I don't know how it works in JAPAN, but it can't be much different from how it would work here... ANYWAY

the "wedding" they had and the attitude towards it, was sort of a product of our modern society...

it's apparently a PHOTO SHOOT only wedding, aside from signing some tedious marriage papers, there really wasn't a wedding

they just needed the pictures for memories *fake as they may be*

goes to show you though, that people nowadays are so busy that they don't even have time for such an event *which is considererably a major part of life or something right*

that said, the real conflict in the episode is that HARUMI wants to live a normal life, but she can't because of her condition *which is apprently depicted accurately according to a friend of mine who has an uncle who suffers from something like that*

she's also scared to tell her partner about the condition in fear of the fact that he may leave her *who wouldn't be scared?*

another conflict is that HARUMI isn't 100% sure who the real person is... HARUMI... or MARIA

we can only begin to imagine how disorienting such a thing can really be

anyway, it was a great episode... well, I like it all, so whatever Smile

]
totalgeek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:43 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:

spoiler[
the "wedding" they had and the attitude towards it, was sort of a product of our modern society...

it's apparently a PHOTO SHOOT only wedding, aside from signing some tedious marriage papers, there really wasn't a wedding

they just needed the pictures for memories *fake as they may be*

that said, the real conflict in the episode is that HARUMI wants to live a normal life, but she can't because of her condition *which is apprently depicted accurately according to a friend of mine who has an uncle who suffers from something like that*

another conflict is that HARUMI isn't 100% sure who the real person is... HARUMI... or MARIA
]

Well, that was part of what I felt so sad about for her. spoiler[She was stuck between choosing the "fake" reality of marriage or the real "reality" of being a prostitute. The thing that made it more complicated, to me, was that Maria seemed to actually enjoy her life as a prostitute MORE than Harumi seemed to enjoy her life with the college professor.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4