• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New DVD Format from Iomega

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isaacada1

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:14 am Reply with quote
Nanoscale light tricks promise huge DVD storage
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7432

Too many choices for anime companies right now to release their content on.

dvd
hd-dvd
blue-ray
umd
memory sticks

and now the above.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:28 am Reply with quote
Its Iomega I bet it flops.

almost every media format they have released has.

Zip,Jazz, that little mini circluar drive one, couple others I cant remember the names of.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:21 pm Reply with quote
isaacada1 wrote:
Nanoscale light tricks promise huge DVD storage
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7432

Too many choices for anime companies right now to release their content on.

dvd
hd-dvd
blue-ray
umd
memory sticks

and now the above.

UMD is for PSP only, and why would companies release things on a memory stick?

My belief is that BluRay will win because Sony and lots of other big companies are supporting it like Dell and HP as well other big movie companies.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Sounds nice and all, but it also sounds completely useless as a medium for anything other than storage. With the ability to hold up to 100 movies this just isn't practicle enough to be used on a single movie or worth buying expensive hardware to read. I'm sure in about 20 years the technology will be at a point where we'll the extra space to hold higher definition video and photorealistic computer graphics, but for now I think technology is advancing at just the right pace.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 2:56 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:

My belief is that BluRay will win because Sony and lots of other big companies are supporting it like Dell and HP as well other big movie companies.

Indeed. This sentence from the article says it all: "Lead researcher at Imperial College London, Peter Török, claims his approach should be more efficient, but admits that success of any system will ultimately depend on the entertainment industry. "The decision as to whether to turn this into a product doesn’t depend on us," he told New Scientist. "It depends on Hollywood."
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 3:38 pm Reply with quote
The best up-and-coming techonology, however, isn't any of that, but instead holographic discs, because more than one bit of data can be written to a single spot (switch between data on a single spot simply by changing the reference angle of the reading beam).

I got this info when doing research for a paper I wrote in my fiberoptics course this past semester. The article I found on the ProQuest databases, and is called "Time for Holographic Storage."
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 3:50 pm Reply with quote
There's also the glass memory storage cube. It holds a Terrabyte of information in a 1" square cube using 3D imaging via lasers.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:17 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
There's also the glass memory storage cube. It holds a Terrabyte of information in a 1" square cube using 3D imaging via lasers.

wtf. you're either joking, or dead serious. which is it?
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Serious. I saw something about it in Popular Science or Popular Mechanics a few years ago.

First link in Google (search string: glass memory storage cube):
http://www.pcplus.co.uk/news/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=4859&subsectionid=360

Quote:
A group of researchers at Japan's Kyoto University and Central Glass Company have developed a 'memory cube', a sugarcube-sized piece of glass used as optical storage. The system works using femtosecond lasers to produce tiny bubbles within the glass. These laser produced extremely short bursts of light. The glass contains the element samarium and the resulting bubbles become luminous, enabling them to be read again. The bubbles are 400 nanometers in diameter and placed 100 nanometers apart. A cube with 2,000 layers has been produced capable of storing 1,000GB of data
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:29 pm Reply with quote
still looks like that's in the research phase. Thing with holography is that holography itself has been around for at least 50 years. It's just that now we're thinking outside the box in terms of how to use such a concept that for so long as seemed to be only a novelty.

Note, I am NOT talking about holograms like those on Star Trek, but rather holograms as they exist today, like on some credit cards, etc. This science and art has some real strong potential now for actual practical use, especially with the ability to do digital holography now, so long exposure times can be things of the past.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 6:22 pm Reply with quote
While the war has been going on for awhile now, somehow I feel that Iomega is a bit late coming into the game with this. While reseach is always important in this field, I just don't see them making any waves at this stage. Too much money has already been invested by other major companies, so I really don't see what they hope to accomplish right now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Trickstr

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote
who knows, theres a lot of shit going around now days but it could be like VHS to DVDs
Pat Payne

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:24 am Reply with quote
Wow. If this comes to pass, that would be a gigantic leap forward. Wonnder how much one of those uber-discs are gonna cost, though... Shocked
angel_lover

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:11 am Reply with quote
The last thing consumers need is yet another format. From a technical point of view, there isn't really a need for something bigger than DVD for entertainment purposes. The DVD format holds plenty enough data for hours of very high quality audio, and with MPEG 4 and its successors there's easily enough capacity for blockbuster-length HDTV quality movies. Of course, storage manufacturers want to sell their products, and the studios want us to have to buy everything again, plus I expect they'll be having yet another attempt at so-caled unbreakable content protection.
radicaledward

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:55 am Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
From a technical point of view, there isn't really a need for something bigger than DVD for entertainment purposes.
For entertainment purposes - no, it's not that practical; however, for archiving purposes I can see alot of companies seeing this as being extremely useful for backing up large database. At this point in time it’s not that unusual to be working with a terabyte of data in a large database and as time goes on those databases is only going to get bigger. If you made periodic backups onto a single disk then they get somewhat easier to logistically manage.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2