• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Three Things

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:05 pm Reply with quote
SNK: I can't believe Shadow Hearts didn't catch on more. It was so unique (still is). Just goes to show you some people don't know what they want and some companies don't know what they're doing. Crossing over with Capcom didn't really help them either. It just made Capcom more famous.

3DS: Where's Tales of the Abyss you bastards? Oh right, Nintendo portable console. Not happening. This will be the attention grabber of the year but it's hard to judge when no videos can't show what the 3D actually looks like.

FF13-2: So it's a guy. At least it'll be someone who can fight back when he gets hit by Light (*cough Snow cough*). I'm curious to see how this one goes. If they tweak the right things and make the party more likeable (I'm talking character development up the wazoo baby), then maybe I will give up my past transgressions against 13.

SaGa 3: I still remember playing this back when we stupidly called it FFL3, despite it had virtually nothing FF in it (gotta love those marketing retards and their stupid mindsets: "If it's not FF, it won't sell! Just change the title!"). I really would have liked to see this one here.

V&B: Ha, the only reason we won't be getting this is because there are Tales cameos in it. Dumbco still likes messing with us and that won't change until every single one of us give up our "futile" attempts to get them to give us anything that isn't Pacman. Besides the Tales art style really clashes with the Braves one. Just check the videos. Cless and company are really out of place here. I don't think I could care much for it despite the extensive cameo list.

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:26 pm; edited 4 times in total
Hectotane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A PR rep at SNK Playmore was quick to clarify that no no no they're still releasing games and all.

Yes, but KOF XIII WHEN?

Quote:
The PlayStation 3 release (of Arcana Heart 3) is region-free, too.

So yeah. Pardon me while my head explodes.

I still like for the lolies to be removed from the game, though.
utawoutau

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I have actually given thought to purchase a PS3 just to play Arcana Heart 3, and I hate fighting games. For some reason, I just find the game really appealing. I hope it gets a US release, before I buy a PS3.
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Don't take it as a given that KOFXIII (which, by all accounts, is a very good game) will leave the arcade at this point. Very recently an ex-SNK programmer was talking about how KOFXII's (terrible) home port was cobbled together by two or three guys under very bad circumstances, and things have only gotten worse at the games division since then. The game has been out in Japan for quite a while now, SNK has changed management, and nobody's said a word about a home port. To put it mildly, I'm not optimistic.

Arcana 3 is kind of a tough case for US localization. It's a top-shelf fighting game, but there are images in AH2/3 that, to put it gently, will be problematic for a US videogame publisher. It's absolutely in the realm of indefensible otaku pervy. I think it's kind of telling that Aksys hasn't spoken up with regards to this game: they publish absolutely everything else that Arc puts out.
Talon87

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Nowhere is SNK's misfortune more obvious than in comparisons to Capcom. As major players in the fighting-game market, the two companies had friendly competitions and crossover fighting games, but they're the Goofus and Gallant of the game industry. Capcom builds profitable franchises like Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Phoenix Wright, and Mega Man to support their fighting games; SNK stakes everything on yet another slightly different version of The King of Fighters. Capcom wisely avoids competing in the costly world of game systems; SNK takes on Nintendo's insanely popular Game Boy. Capcom is one of Japan's biggest game companies, in image if not financial size; SNK is not.

This was the best part of the article for me by far. The Goofus and Gallant comparison brought a smile to my face due to the nostalgia factor of Highlights children's magazine. This was soon followed by chuckles of hearty approval at the aptness of this comparison. It's funny (or is it sad?) because it's so true.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:56 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
I can tell I am going to pick up Phantom Breaker and Arcana Heart 3 someday. I have a weakness for slightly ecchi/moe 2d fighting games, even if they are highly mediocre (or worse) games...

You've never actually played Arcana Heart 3, have you. I had too much money, so I imported it thinking I'd regret it, but it's kind of unbelievably good'; and the netcode is good enough that I can play with Japanese people with lag that isn't unbearable to me, but is evidently unbearable to them because they keep dropping on me / just stopping dead towards the end of the match.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:58 am Reply with quote
Zero-suit Samus for the win! C'mon, Nintendo, you're growed up - you can do it! Laughing

And I told ya guys, it's Hope for FF13-2! Razz
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
bravetailor wrote:
I can tell I am going to pick up Phantom Breaker and Arcana Heart 3 someday. I have a weakness for slightly ecchi/moe 2d fighting games, even if they are highly mediocre (or worse) games...

You've never actually played Arcana Heart 3, have you.

I don't think that question needs to be asked, my post above pretty much confirms it. My point is that I'll buy these things sight-unseen.

But as for the "mediocre" comment, I was talking about past games of this type. Arcana Heart 1, for instance, was a mediocre 2d fighting game.
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:49 am Reply with quote
davecabrera wrote:

Arcana 3 is kind of a tough case for US localization. It's a top-shelf fighting game, but there are images in AH2/3 that, to put it gently, will be problematic for a US videogame publisher.

Anime mode being on is amusing, but it becomes apparent that playing the game comes at the price of your dignity.

I've talked to people who like the game, but then wish that there was an option to switch all the sprites out.

In any event, the game is pretty fantastic: AH3's homing system gives me some of the best mobility I've experience in a fighting game...

(take note that I'm actually pretty new to the FG community)

And I don't even know how to really play the game yet (my copy comes in today, but I played last night and it was a blast).

As far as mechanics and whatever are concerned, I'd definitely play this over BBCS which, despite what people tell me, is a lot slower than Super Street Fighter; I play Makoto and I have an eternity to hit-confirm because of how long her blockstrings are (Did [mashed] 2A land? Go into D. Was [mashed] 2A blocked? Stop blockstring or use teleport in order to continue pressure)... and when combos finally do go off, they're just really really really long and people either have to burst or go take a nap until it's over... but, yes... not cool.

Especially that Ragna reversal DP combo: thing is ridiculous.

(but I believe they have removed that from the newest version of the game... thank god?)

ANYWAY, Arcana Heart 3 has lots of character gameplay variety (even if the swimsuit loli Zangief character is pretty creepy) and is relatable enough to other fighting games that makes it seem like transitioning into it would be somewhat easy.

(Zenia is essentially Dudley from Street Fighter... in fact, I can like hit confirm into super like 3S Dudley... and command dash into overhead into super is awesome)

But, yeah... I'm just hoping that I don't drop the game when MVC3 comes out, since it's a lot of fun...

(but dropping AH3 is a very real possibility since all the competition will be over at MVC3... I'm very decent at SUPER mainly because we play the thing for like 10-15 hours every week by virtue of there being a large community for it: it's easy to level up, as opposed to poverty games like BBCS and AH3 which only seem like a realistically playable prospect right now at animu club gatherings)
sfried

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:05 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
3DS: Where's Tales of the Abyss you bastards? Oh right, Nintendo portable console. Not happening. This will be the attention grabber of the year but it's hard to judge when no videos can't show what the 3D actually looks like.

Probably right now they just want to focus on RIIIIIIDGE RAAACER!

Also Todd, where's my The Last Story news? IT'S OUT! I WANNA PLAY IT BAD.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
sfried wrote:
Probably right now they just want to focus on RIIIIIIDGE RAAACER!

Also Todd, where's my The Last Story news? IT'S OUT! I WANNA PLAY IT BAD.

Honestly, not trying to sound like a snob, but I just don't see the appeal in racing games...okay, unless they have fun gimmicks like Mario Kart.

As for Last Story, my friend is playing it on YouTube right now and I'm so jealous! T__T
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2