• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Edit List - Samurai Champloo Episode 04

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:07 am Reply with quote
Strangely enough, scratching mofo make it sound like two syllables were added to the phrase, which arguably made it better. I mean, how gangsta is somebody who says "mofo"? If you want street cred, you say the whole thing.

Looking ahead, it's so good to hear the spirit of Fred Luo alive and well. ^__^ How I miss it.
totalgeek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:50 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Strangely enough, scratching mofo make it sound like two syllables were added to the phrase, which arguably made it better. I mean, how gangsta is somebody who says "mofo"? If you want street cred, you say the whole thing.

Yeah, I haven't seen the DVDs, so the scratch made me think it was supposed to be motherf***er, as well. Kind of stupid to scratch mofo!

But if I was reviewing this episode, I'd say this is one case where the actual editing of the language enhanced the script! Very Happy
Kamiakume

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:40 am Reply with quote
Actually, there were more edits in this episode than this guy said. The beginning part of the scene where Fuu and that artist were in that place full of art work, and scenes of nudity were obveously cut out. But those were only the paintings.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:02 am Reply with quote
Kamiakume wrote:
Actually, there were more edits in this episode than this guy said. The beginning part of the scene where Fuu and that artist were in that place full of art work, and scenes of nudity were obveously cut out. But those were only the paintings.

Wrong Episode. See Tomorrow's Edit List.

-t
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:17 am Reply with quote
I think it's that "freakin" is an actual word (sort of), like "freak", or "he's freaking out", in a different application, while "mofo" means nothing aside from as a different way of saying something else. If someone doesn't know what Freaking is standing in for, they can assume the less than salacious alternative meaning, while if they don't know what Mofo means, they'll probably seek it out.
Angel Dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:21 pm Reply with quote
You know....this episode had to be the single bloodiest thing that AS has ever played seeing as how they shortened the exploding heads in FMA and considering what they did to past shows (Cowboy bebop anyone?) So it's good to see that this one only had language edits, but scraching out 'Mofo' was kind of pointless Confused .....
studioplugnplay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:14 pm Reply with quote
What is Mofo being edited at all? Grim from The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy has used it. Coop from Megas XRL has used it...

WTF?

-Gynocrat
emory

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:21 pm Reply with quote
studioplugnplay wrote:
What is Mofo being edited at all? Grim from The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy has used it. Coop from Megas XRL has used it...

You're shrooming. I have never heard it used in either show ever.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Call it a double standard:

Whats ok for American animation on TV is not ok for Japanese anime when aired on TV
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:40 pm Reply with quote
If I remember correctly, I thought Geneon was responsible for the edits, but maybe I'm just mixing things around.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
If I remember correctly, I thought Geneon was responsible for the edits, but maybe I'm just mixing things around.
I think the only time that Williams Street doesn't edit a show is if it's something from ShoPro, 4Kids, or FUNimation, or if it's InuYasha. As far as I know those are the only exceptions and Williams Street handles everything else.
IanC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
InuYasha.

Thats ShoPro Wink
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:08 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
Yashouzoid wrote:
InuYasha.

Thats ShoPro Wink

No, actually: ShoPro+Viz Entertainment = Viz Media.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
B33

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Why is "asshole" a forbidden word, all of a sudden... its weird, now they started censoring "asshole" from Robot Chicken, Ghost in the Shell, and Samurai Champloo...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1