• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Super Manga Pals II: Vertical Limit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
immortalrite wrote:
So I was under the impression that the current Evangelion 2.22 theatrical run was going to be dubbed. Is this not the case?

Nope, this time it's subtitled. The font's quite big though, so it didn't distract much from the big-screen-movie-ness of it all. No idea why [Gainax preference? Dub still in production? Or just because they did the last one dubbed and thought they'd switch things up?]. It was quite good nevertheless.
TheBigN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
About Kara no Kyoukai: Watching movies one after another is defintely going to overload anyone regardless of content. It helped that the 7 movies were shown months between each other, just to give time to digest.

The content is definitely not incomprehensible, and most people will get the main points of the movie after watching all seven. You don't need any prior knowledge of KnK to get everything, but they way they show things out of order, and especially how they deliberately go for a (well executed, in my opinion) misdirection style, it won't be too easy to get everything. Some movies (mostly the first, maybe the fifth) can act too pretentious about the goings on, the character motivations, and so on, though.

That being said, as said in the ANNcast, the animation, setting, scenery (though a lot is dark and dank) and music are very good, and I think they execute the stories for each movie, as well as tying everything up well. It sucks that it doesn't seem that Zac will get a lot of time to watch, digest, and watch again, though. Razz
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Overall good podcast although I take a bit because Barnes and Noble of an issue with Deb's assertion that if Boarder's closes that would adversely effect BL manga because Barnes and Noble doesn't carry it disregarding Barnes and Noble dot com (I bought the Little Butterfly omnibus off of it.)

My local B&N caries practically every volume of Junjo Romantica: Pure Romance and I live in Holland MI a community which is squarely conservetive mid western and they carry it. So maybe I misunderstood something but as far as I can tell Barnes and noble does carry BL n if Boarders where to close I don't think Yaoi and BL would be that adversely effected
Nanoob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Aoki's a good guest. I'm always glad to hear she'll be making an appearance on the show.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Good podcast, glad to hear it today. I'm not going to comment about Summer Wars, or Evangelion 2.0. Yeah Vertical has been on fire for this week. I won't say anything about if manga going digital is a good thing or bad thing, to me it's too early to tell, but I do support the manga going digital because it's environmental-friendly for the tree, and also you can put up manga that are out of print (as in the engllish publisher that don't make anymore physical copies of the manga, but still has the license) on the digital store. I'm glad to see the digital manga is on Ipad, but I wish we had more on the PSP, Tokyopop is good (mostly OEL manga, and Hetalia) but I like to see Viz, Yen Press, Del Rey/Kodansha USA, and other publishers on there.

Yeah I did notice Japan has been going a little crazy about wine. Zac, I'm glad you mention about the Japanese remake of Sideways. That movie and Connected (the HK/Chinese remake of Cellular) was the turning point for film remake (I did mention this on other topic on ANN). USA did a lot of remake of Asian films, but now it's Asia turn to remake American films. I'm glad to see this happening because well, I think it's the right thing for US to do is to give back to Asia for remaking their film. Japan has recently remade Ghost, and Paranormal Activity(well it's a bit of a sequel to the American one, but I still call it a remake). Japan will also remake An Affair to Remember, and Working Girls. Connected is not the only American film China remade. I mention that Zhang Yimou remade one of the Coen brother film. China will be remaking What Women Want. I know South Korea will probably follow suit because we have remade some of their film, so I think it's fair South Korea should remake some of our film. I can't wait for Japan to maybe remake Carrie (Takashi Miike as director, anyone?), and Hong Kong to remake Heat (Johnnie To should direct the remake, and Andy Lau should play Robert DeNiro's character). Very Happy

Anyway good podcast, Zac
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:19 am Reply with quote
As someone who owns an IPad(in fact I'm typing on it right now) I would love to see more manga companies utilize it. As far as I can see, viz and yen press are the only ones with apps and their selection is pretty bare bones.
Also I have to agree with V on Tiffany Grant. Maybe it's because I heard the dub first but Tiffany is who I associate with Asuka. Her delivery of the line "what are you, stupid!" is ingrained on my memory. I could live without Spike Spencer though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4