• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: K-On!! #7 Tops Weekly BD Chart with 27,000 Copies

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, while everyone's getting fussy over torrent sites, at least we know that K-ON is still bringing in the big bucks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I still need to find the cash to buy the season 2 BD's....maybe I'll find them used when I go to Japan this summer ? *hopeful*
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
It'll be very interesting to see how well K-On!! does in the USA when the first series becomes available later this year.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Ya know, I wasn't very interested in checking this show out. But, since it won the Kobe Award I think I'm going to have to reconsider.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Sacto0562 wrote:
It'll be very interesting to see how well K-On!! does in the USA when the first series becomes available later this year.

I think the North American release of K-On! will be the litmus test as to whether or not "niche" anime can sell over here as Blu-Ray "singles".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:52 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Sacto0562 wrote:

I think the North American release of K-On! will be the litmus test as to whether or not "niche" anime can sell over here as Blu-Ray "singles".

i think K-On is count as mainstream in Japan. bascailly, is the most popular Anime for the last couple years. K-On characters won almsot all the popularity contests. popular with male Otaku and female.

Niche anime should be like Garden of Sinner, no need English dubs, sell them at expensive price.

I think they want to make k-on popular in US, so they can sell those toys. It will probably not going to sell if they blu-ray is more expensive than the dvd.

personally, if they are going to just reuse all those old voice actresses. I'm not getting it. They need to find some new talents. I'm sick of those 2-5 people who took all the lead role in all the anime.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:28 am Reply with quote
^ I kind of doubt a single, low-priced Blu-Ray thinpack of K-On! will ever be an option. I suspect KyoAni only gave Bandai the options of selling it as high-priced (by North American standards) Blu-Ray singles, or not selling it on Blu-Ray at all (unless they did something drastic like removing the Japanese audio).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:39 am Reply with quote
Why do you say that Tenchi? K-ON! has already been released on BluRay completely for over a year. It has sold around 35-40k per BD single.

Not sure why such a limit would be set. If it was the second season, sure, I can see that, but not with the first season.
superunature

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:53 pm Reply with quote
for me,
I bought
taiwan version
DVD:
k-on! volume 1
k-on! volume 2
k-on! volume 3
k-on! volume 4
k-on! volume 5
k-on! volume 6
k-on! volume 7
japan version
Blu-Ray:
k-on!! volume 1
k-on!! volume 2
k-on!! volume 3
k-on!! volume 4
k-on!! volume 5
k-on!! volume 6
k-on!! volume 7
pre-ordered
k-on!! volume 8
k-on!! volume 9
just ordered Yui Hirasawa Dollfie Dream, and it costs a pretty penny especially it release a year ago and DDs are semi-limited
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:26 am Reply with quote
K-On is not mainstream in Japan. Japanese otaku just put their money where their mouths are. N. American people, not so much. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1