• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Aksys Games to Release Muramasa Rebirth for PS Vita in N. America

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I played the original Wii version, and I don't remember there being anything wrong with the localization so I wonder why they're doing that.

I do remember one line having an obvious logical problem that indicated it was mistranslated though. Maybe there was more of those I just didn't notice. There isn't a whole lot of story in that game.

This is another one of the Wii's good titles rendered irrelevant, by the way.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:41 pm Reply with quote
The problem with the original translation was that Ignition took a flowery and complex script and gave it a totally barebones translation while making large mistakes, such as removing references to other characters when their names were clearly indicated in the voiced dialogue.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote
There were a few instances where Momohime said a lot more than what was translated and displayed on-screen. I want to play this, but I don't particularly care to own a Vita. Still thinking about the PS3, as it will give me a BD player and a say to play the few Tales games it'll get. But still not planning on getting anytime soon. lol In the meantime, I'll be getting the new Fire Emblem 3DS next week Razz
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
yay vita getting some love
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
So the Vita is finally getting a good game?

Isn't it a bit late for the Vita now? It felt like they abandoned the console to make a new one.

Last edited by Gon*Gon on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:39 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:

Isn't it a bit late for the Vita now? It feels like such an abandoned console.
It definitely feels that way sometimes. It's really a shame because hardware wise, it's probably my favorite gaming platform currently. I have enough games on it that I feel I'm getting my money's worth, but it still has so much wasted potential.
Sleverin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:52 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:

Isn't it a bit late for the Vita now? It felt like they abandoned the console to make a new one.

Um, it's called Persona 4 Gold. Its mere announcement that it was being sold for PSVita instantly drove sales up. Proves just how absolutely amazing Persona is, it can even increase the amazingness of those around it.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:14 pm Reply with quote
zendervai wrote:
The problem with the original translation was that Ignition took a flowery and complex script and gave it a totally barebones translation while making large mistakes, such as removing references to other characters when their names were clearly indicated in the voiced dialogue.

I wasn't aware that the translation Ignition did for the Wii version was not good. Well at least Aksys will give the translation for this game a more faithful translation, but I do have a feeling that some translation may get lost even if Aksys does handle the game's translation. But then again, the same thing applied when western game get translated from English to Japanese (so yeah it goes both way):

Japanese Black Ops 2 got lost in translation

"No Russian" became "Kill them, The Russian" in Japanese dub of Modern Warfare 2 as a result of mistranslation

Gon*Gon wrote:

Persona 4: Gold would like to say Hi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

I wasn't aware that the translation Ignition did for the Wii version was not good. Well at least Aksys will give the translation for this game a more faithful translation, but I do have a feeling that some translation may get lost even if Aksys does handle the game's translation. But then again, the same thing applied when western game get translated from English to Japanese (so yeah it goes both way):

The one thing that really got on my nerves with the translation was that they called a Nue a Chimera...

Whether Aksys is perfect or not, I think it's safe to say they won't screw up that badly.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

The one thing that really got on my nerves with the translation was that they called a Nue a Chimera...

Whether Aksys is perfect or not, I think it's safe to say they won't screw up that badly.

Mistranslation will always happen regardless of what language it is. It doesn't matter if the companies translator is super good, mistranslation will always happen. It's happen in US, it also happen in Japan when stuff get translated in Japanese.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sorincha child

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:29 am Reply with quote
Seriously Aksys? SERIOUSLY?

I am not looking for more reasons to buy a vita damn it. Stop giving me one.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Who cares about mistranslation in a video game, if it's NOT story driven? If it doesn't effect GAMEPLAY, then it doesn't matter. This is NOT animation, in which it NEEDS to be translated right, so you can understand the plot, character personalities and traits. It's like TitanXL complaining about one game series becoming "Phoenix Wright" instead of "Gyakuten Saiban Yomigaeru Gyakuten" and Naruhodo becoming Phoenix Wright, although it should be noted that English names of Capcom games are indeed official, since in MVC3, depending on how you configure your Japanese PS3 settings, you may hear characters who are in Japanese, but still yell out "Phoenix Wright" and the same thing applies to Akuma/Gouki. There were mistranslations in Street Fighter II, Ghosts and Goblins and Zelda, but does that effect gameplay? The answer is a astounding NO! Sometimes, like in the Japanese dub of COD, it may effect plot points, but most games are not story heavy and are gameplay heavy. Sonic Adventure's English version may confuse those, who have no idea, that "Robotnik" was actually always known as "Eggman" in Japan, but Yuji Naka said his name is Robotnik, so that can be forgiven.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
Who cares about mistranslation in a video game, if it's NOT story driven? If it doesn't effect GAMEPLAY, then it doesn't matter. This is NOT animation, in which it NEEDS to be translated right, so you can understand the plot, character personalities and traits. It's like TitanXL complaining about one game series becoming "Phoenix Wright" instead of "Gyakuten Saiban Yomigaeru Gyakuten" and Naruhodo becoming Phoenix Wright, although it should be noted that English names of Capcom games are indeed official, since in MVC3, depending on how you configure your Japanese PS3 settings, you may hear characters who are in Japanese, but still yell out "Phoenix Wright" and the same thing applies to Akuma/Gouki. There were mistranslations in Street Fighter II, Ghosts and Goblins and Zelda, but does that effect gameplay? The answer is a astounding NO! Sometimes, like in the Japanese dub of COD, it may effect plot points, but most games are not story heavy and are gameplay heavy. Sonic Adventure's English version may confuse those, who have no idea, that "Robotnik" was actually always known as "Eggman" in Japan, but Yuji Naka said his name is Robotnik, so that can be forgiven.

You are correct. But these days most Japanese games like JRPGs are really story driven. So translating these stories in games can be quite difficult, I can say the same for western games when they go to Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1