• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Weekly Shonen Jump (USA) Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:05 am Reply with quote
[email protected] wrote:
How do I change my avatar on this website???

In your profile.
Go to "forum" in the navigation bar at the top of each page. Click on "profile". The avatar control panel is at the bottom of that page.

You should ask questions like this in the "Bugs & Technical Questions" forums.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
thenix

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
Specifically for myself the reason why I have any digital manga is because Shonan Jump is just so cheap and I can read it soon as it's coming out. Second is because Yu-Gi-Oh is unavailable anywhere else except like Amazon. I can get it cheaper and faster through SJ though. I don't think everyone needs to switch, and I'm still not really switching unless I have to
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Next issue will be my 1 year anniversary reading Weekly Shonen Jump. It's always interesting looking back on the my first year on a title. Especially when that title is a weekly serial anthology, which are a very uncommon breed in English.

I'd been aware of previous versions of Jump in the past, when it was a monthly print anthology. But it's line up never seemed to appeal to me. Yu-Gi-Oh and Dragon Ball always seemed predominant. Neither of which I had any interest in, and I had no reference for One-Piece, Bleach, and Naruto. All of which seemed like more of the same. Which was too bad, because I really wanted to read another serial anthology. In particular a manga based one. Unfortunately I never found a manga anthology with a line-up that really grabbed at my tastes. Somewhat mature action/adventure.

But alas. At the time it just wasn't to be.

Fast forward to late 2012 though, I'd just bought myself a brand new iPad. With the express purpose of switching to full digital for all my comic reading. (An experiment that has pretty much been a rousing success on all fronts btw). But at the time I was still working on transitioning from one format to the other and looking for new digital reading material while I was working through the last of my print pulls. I was reading through Anime News Network and came across an article about The recently relaunched, digital only, English version of Weekly Shonen Jump. The big news is that was going day and date with Japan. The other news was that they would be printing Akira Toriyama's Kintoki one-shot in the next issue. I wasn't too interested in the day and date thing, since I didn't read any of it. But the idea of a stand alone one-shot sounded interesting. And the best part?

Weekly Shonen Jump is only one dollar an issue!

Because that's the rub, if WSJ wasn't so dang cheap, I probably wouldn't have taken a chance on it. As it were, I actually got a little impatient since the Kintoki issue wasn't out yet I wound up taking a shot at the latest issue. The first day and date issue.

What I found was interesting to say the least. Let me be clear, I don't fear coming into long running series mid stride. If I did I wouldn't be reading 2000 AD, or Savage Dragon, or Usagi Yojimbo, or (at one time) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. In fact I often relish the opportunity as it means I can not only keep up with current events, but also gradually fill in the missing gaps. Double the pleasure!

To say WSJ is heavy with long running series is a bit of an understatement. At the time One-Piece was coming to the conclusion of an arc, as was Bleach, Naruto was starting one, and Toriko was in the middle of one (I think). Nisekoi and Cross Manage were the newest series, one being rather episodic and the other easy enough to follow if you've seen a sports anime before. It was certainly a strange mix of sense bombardment.

Oh, and there was one brand new series. One-Punch Man. Which, looking back, is what truly rewarded my impatience. If I had missed its first installment I'd have really been pissed at myself. Best series of 2013. Hands down.

After the Kintoki issue came out I was quickly falling in love with WSJ in general. Toriko was pure madness, in a good way. I was starting to understand the hype around One-Piece. Cross Manage was surprisingly endearing (RIP). Once Blue Exorcist rolled around I found a lot to like in it too (though it got a little bogged down mid year). World Trigger would launch and while not the most exciting comic, it's entertaining enough. In all only three strips were total dogs in my eyes; Nisekoi (so generic it physically hurts), Naruto (a year latter I still have no idea what's going on), and Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal (actually is visually interesting, but a complete shill of a comic).

Which brings me to this week. Today as the release of a special bonus issue that premiered the new strip, All You Need Is Kill. Regular Jump is off this week due to a holiday in Japan, so this was a pretty welcome way to spare us another Jump-free week. I'm actually pretty excited about the inclusion of this comic. I'm a big sci-fi fan in general, and I love my sci-fi violent and somewhat thought provoking. Based on this first installment, this looks like it's going to deliver both in spades.

I just like the fact that English WSJ seems to be taking more chances with older audience material. Seraph of the End premiered a few months ago, that one also tends to push more mature themes and situations. Jump is slowly starting to become the kind of manga anthology I was looking for all those years ago. And that's what's got me the most excited for its future I think. If 2013 was anything to go by, my second year is going to be just as exciting as the first. Can't wait!
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
The manga adaptation of All you need is kill sounds interesting. I'm a few issues behind on weekly shonen jump. I've given up on most of the long running titles in the magazine (Toriko, One Piece, and Naruto though I still follow Bleach) though I'm still following everything else in the magazine. At this point I'm impatiently waiting for Masashi Kishimoto and Tite Kubo to start their next series. I'm enjoying the magazine and have since alpha launched 2 years ago. Honestly, I've been enjoying Nieskoi somewhat. It isn't high on my list or anything it's just a nice little diversion. Seraph of the end I always look forward to and wish it were a weekly series instead of semimonthly. That's actually my one complaint with the magazine. It has far too many irregularly published series.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Massacre, please do not over-quote. Thanks.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
Oh! Sorry.

I finished the first chapter of all you need is kill and really enjoyed it! It seems to be following the novel fairly closely. I really enjoy Takeshi Obata's art style so this was a real treat! Does anyone know if this is just going to be a mini-series or an ongoing series? I read in the article on ANN that it was going to be the former but it doesn't hurt to check...
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:32 am Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
Oh! Sorry.

I finished the first chapter of all you need is kill and really enjoyed it! It seems to be following the novel fairly closely. I really enjoy Takeshi Obata's art style so this was a real treat! Does anyone know if this is just going to be a mini-series or an ongoing series? I read in the article on ANN that it was going to be the former but it doesn't hurt to check...

I don't know for certain, but because its based on a finite length novel, my guess is mini-series.

Seraph of the end I always look forward to and wish it were a weekly series instead of semimonthly. That's actually my one complaint with the magazine. It has far too many irregularly published series.

On this I get what you're saying (oh, the rage I feel when One-Punch Man is off for the week). But... because we're getting the manga day and date with Japan... this is what the Japanese readers deal with on a regular basis. So if they can handle it, we probably should be able to as well. Also, as an American comic reader, a monthly wait is hardly new to me.

Plus, we're actually getting Seraph on an accelerated schedule. Its monthly in Japan. So twice a month isn't so bad. At least until its caught up.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Oh! Sorry.

I don't know for certain, but because its based on a finite length novel, my guess is mini-series.

Seraph of the end I always look forward to and wish it were a weekly series instead of semimonthly. That's actually my one complaint with the magazine. It has far too many irregularly published series.

On this I get what you're saying (oh, the rage I feel when One-Punch Man is off for the week). But... because we're getting the manga day and date with Japan... this is what the Japanese readers deal with on a regular basis. So if they can handle it, we probably should be able to as well. Also, as an American comic reader, a monthly wait is hardly new to me.

Plus, we're actually getting Seraph on an accelerated schedule. Its monthly in Japan. So twice a month isn't so bad. At least until its caught up.

I hadn't thought of it that way before. Good point. I dread when seraph of the end catches up with Japan and becomes a monthly series though. I hope they have something to add to the magazine then.

I hope the all you need is kill manga isn't too short. When I see "mini-series" I think 4-6 chapters and thought it'd be a shame since I really dug the first chapter. Oh well. Hopefully Takeshi Obata has something planned for not long after this.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:29 am Reply with quote
Ack. I was just doing some iPad backups and have discovered that Viz appears to have changed their file format for their Digital files at some point in the new year. They used to be straight jpgs, which made local backing-up a breeze. Now they're some kind of unique encrypted file format.

OBNOXIOUS!
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Ack. I was just doing some iPad backups and have discovered that Viz appears to have changed their file format for their Digital files at some point in the new year. They used to be straight jpgs, which made local backing-up a breeze. Now they're some kind of unique encrypted file format.

OBNOXIOUS!

Slightly off topic but I think I prefer Sparkler Monthly's model of being able to download the titles individually as pdfs/mp3s. That being said the flaw with their model is that (in order to monetize it) they put their titles behind a pay wall after a month. Each company serializing titles seems to have their own system.

Next issue comes out tomorrow. It's a shame all you need is kill won't be in it as I really enjoyed the first chapter. I wonder if it'll be a weekly or bi-weekly series?

Edit: In the latest issue of Weekly Shonen Jump there was no mention in the "Next issue" section of Illegal Rare from the creator of Nura which was kind of disappointing. Also in his interview with Weekly Shonen Jump, Masashi Kishimoto said that "Naruto is heading towards its ending. and hopefully I can conclude it on a strong note. I'd love it if everyone could stick with it until the very end. And after that I might do something new and I hope people check that out as well. I plan to wrap up Naruto conclusively, so please look forward to it."

I'll definitely be checking out Masashi Kishimoto's next work as I've enjoyed his one-shots. Naruto is just way too long for me and I gave up on it. I'm sincerely glad it's ending as I want to see what else he can do.

Edit 2: And it was announced in the podcast that Dragon Ball was ending in Jump soon and that 1 of the 4 new manga starting up in Weekly Shonen Jump in Japan would be replacing it.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
It looks like Dragon ball Full Color will most likely be ending in the issue after next. With that being the case I'd say the most likely to be picked would be stealth symphony. Although I'm not ruling out iShojo since how new the creator is and Jump USA's method in the past of picking series from newcomer creators. Shiibashi's Illegal Rare is looking increasingly unlikely and Tokyo Wonder Boys makes little sense as a license. Also announced in the podcast one punch man is going to be released as digital graphic novels.

Edit: ShonenJump Sasaki announced on twitter that the series being added will be Stealth Symphony. I'm kind of excited about this! I really enjoyed Durarara!! and Baccano! so it'll be nice to see a new series from Ryogo Narita!
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Um... this thread has been kind of quiet. Out of curiosity does anyone have any thoughts on Jump Start or Stealth Symphony ending? I'll miss Stealth Symphony. Though it's been a few months it's still sinking in that it ended for me. Judos is fun. I wonder if Jump will pick it up as a permanent title? What did people think about Hi-fi Cluster? I found it kind of dull. I was expecting to love it but it kind of felt weird tone wise and the character weren't really well fleshed out. It could be a good series though. I liked the cliffhanger ending. Before its debut what do people think about Sporting Salt? I don't knwo about that one. Confused It really doesn't sound that great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3