• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Futile Devices

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nekusagi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Jozoiscute wrote:
Unfortunately, I was one of those few people that didn't get to see last week's question. If I had, there would have been one particular answer:

Hamtaro, Hamtaro, HAMTARO.

Why is it VIZ has had this license forever and yet, no box sets, no updates, no...well...ANYTHING!!!

Anime cry

I was one of those little kids that grew up on Hamtaro.
....while most of you are probably rolling your eyes, I would LOVE to have a decent copy of the series....(if nothing else) to show it to my children someday.

A close second would have been a tie between: Unico, The Dog of Flanders movie, Tama and Friends, and Urusei Yatsura.

Very Happy

For the same reason they won't give the first two Johto arcs or second Hoenn arc of Pokemon proper boxsets like they have the rest of the series.

They like sitting on our childhood memories and denying us them coldly.
sokpupet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:20 pm Reply with quote
:in a small and injured voice:

but... but I listen to Coldplay... :sniff:
Dr Grant Swinger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Moon got a DVD release alright but it was far from decent. They were made from worn out masters and the audio sounds like it was recorded in an oil drum. They were just barely tolerable back when I had a SD TV but on my current HD setup they are absolutely unwatchable. It's not just the source material, ADV also screwed the DVD authoring in their haste to get them out the door.

By contrast, my Card Captor Sakura discs still look and sound great.
prabb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Now, that little rant aside, I, personally, am not vehemently anti-fansub.

Really?
theinertbiscuit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Loved the comic. Whenever the day comes I start my own blog, this is how I hope I do it. Smile

I also missed last week's question. Which means only in the comments can I give my shoutout for Cyborg 009. It was never even released or even aired in its entirety on US television. Though, 10 years after its creation, and 8 after it was initially brought to America... I know this is a fleeting hope. But hope nonetheless! :
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't think what Funimation did was completely a dick move, I just looked at it as Funimation trying to prove to pirates that they aren't completely invisible in what they do.

I mean c'mon...1337?

Last edited by Gasero on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:02 pm Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
Dang, if I knew that's what the Answerfans! question was, I would have totally written in for Samurai Pizza Cats (thought I know that is such a reach). The question wasn't posted with the article and I forgot to check back during the week to see if they fixed it.

I'm kind of hoping at some point someone can pull a TekkamanBlade/Teknoman-esque stealth license rescue whenever Saban's rights expire [or if they already have- is Disney rerunning it anywhere?].

I wouldn't mind a rescue/dvd release of-
-Pretty Cure TV dub- recent, but still, not on dvd Sad
-Dragon Warrior- the Dragon Quest anime from the 90's.... no idea how much was dubbed, but it'd be nice to see. A definite curiousity in the realm of dubbed for TV shows....
-Please Save My Earth- I'd love to see this reissued- I've never seen the dvd anywhere used or new, despite it being reissued by VIZ a few times.
-Ronin Warriors and Candidate for Goddess- Bandai's releases seem to have disappeared for these shows. Wouldn't mind reissues of either.

With Sailor Moon, I have a fair bit of it on dvd/vhs, but wouldn't object to reissues since I'm missing some of it, and obviously, everyone wants Sailor Stars.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I must be out of the loop. I hadn't heard about FUNi's legal action and I haven't seen a story on ANN's front page about it either.

But whatever they're doing, I support it. I'll admit that I've downloaded 3 or 4 fansubs myself (when I knew that I wouldn't be buying or streaming the series for one reason or another), but lately I'm embarrassed to see just how little respect there is for the industry from fansubbers and I no longer want any part in it. These kids are entitled brats and I want them off my Internet this instant. I'm not joking.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:

-Please Save My Earth- I'd love to see this reissued- I've never seen the dvd anywhere used or new, despite it being reissued by VIZ a few times.

You can buy it new for a cool $149.99 from amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Please-Save-Earth-Ted-Cole/dp/B00004TJG8/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1296266830&sr=1-1
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maigraith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I hope the cases do go through in Funi's favor because they've been doing the whole asking nicely thing for quite a while and that has quite clearly not worked so far. If it becomes clear to all the pirates that there are actual consequences rather than just moral guilt to what they do it might deter a good chunk of them, not all of them of course that would just be wishful thinking. Just like all the people at my school who continue to park in a place they don't have a permit for and have gotten tickets for it in the past.

In regards to subs, the best way I've seen to do them is a light colored font with a dark outline, that way you can see it on a dark background and when the background is light you can still see the outline without the distraction of a changing font color.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:14 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Paploo wrote:

You can buy it new for a cool $149.99 from amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Please-Save-Earth-Ted-Cole/dp/B00004TJG8/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1296266830&sr=1-1

Eww Sad I'll keep an eye out for some used vhs/dvd. I was smart and bought as much of the manga as I could [only missing some middle volumes] when it started getting harder to find though Anime smile

I noticed someonelse wants Video Girl Ai back in print- I have one of the vhs volumes, and it is a fun show. VIZ's release of the I's OVA shows someone's a fan there, so maybe it might make a comeback.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm honestly curious as to whether anyone has heard from the One Piece Podcast crew and what anyone thinks about their thoughts on the whole One Piece Bittorrent 1337 thing.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:

-Dragon Warrior- the Dragon Quest anime from the 90's.... no idea how much was dubbed, but it'd be nice to see. A definite curiousity in the realm of dubbed for TV shows....

I think only 13 episodes were ever dubbed (leaving it in a cliffhanger maybe?). I had an uncle of mine ask me about them and I dug around the internet to find a pair of torrents that collected the dubbed episodes. I think there were some copyright issues with it and stuff, or something and so they couldn't continue. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can fill in the holes I'm making.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
And even today, there is so much anime that gets released in Japan that could never be released in English or other languages. It's impossible. But One Piece? Naruto? Bleach? Seriously? I don't care that Funimation or Viz doesn't translate the attack names the "correct" way that you "like," and you feel like you need to resort to fansubs for that. You get no sympathy from me. Deal with it.

This sort of struck a chord in me. Considering that most people buying this stuff probably don't know Japanese, the translation's pretty important. Being "correct," is well, uhm, the bare minimum in what they should be doing, at least to me. That's not to say the series you used as examples are guilty of such; I am speaking generally. Money is hard to come by these days, and what I choose purchase better meet every criteria I have for it. I don't owe any company anything.

As for the Answerfans segment, it'd be nice if official subtitles didn't try to localize honorifics. That is what the dub is for. I am completely taken out of the moment if I am hearing the characters say "Kurosaki-kun" or "Inoue-san," yet I'm reading "Ichigo" and "Orihime." Even worse when it's inconsistent from episode to episode; proving they don't even have someone spot-checking these things. There's a line between adapting the material to flow and make sense in another language and just changing things.

spoiler[I didn't want to get too specific into Bleach, but there's a certain subtlety lost if you modify how the characters speak to each other. Ichigo refers to his schoolmates by their surnames with no honorifics, and Soul Reaper folk even less formally; just their first names.]
shoddyworksucks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:01 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
But look: that first answer smacks of wanting it both ways. It really doesn't work to call FUNimation's anti-piracy lawsuit a "Dick Move" only to then list off reasons why it's a justified and understandable action to take. What's the use of PR toward individuals that have no intention of ever buying their product, or even giving it a small amount of online ad revenue? That's the crowd that's ignoring or subverting simulcasts that they have access to. And that's behavior that's very distinct from subbing a show a year before anybody's licensed it.

Call the lawsuit meaningless, fine. It might be that in the end. Just don't criticize FUNimation and/or Toei for exercising their rights simply because simulcast rippers refuse to go away.

I think the use of the term "dick move", while admittedly a little brusque, is being used to characterize the typical fan reaction to news such as this, as well as his own personal distaste. Funimation has every right to do what is necessary to protect their copyright. However, past lessons have taught us that lawsuits of this nature, while within their rights, can result in something of a backlash from fans on both sides of the piracy/anti-piracy debate. Just look at Metallica circa 2000 when the band took the Napster battle to the courts. While within their rights to take legal action, Metallica ended up looking like jerks trying to bring the hammer down on young fans. It was almost like the piracy discussion surrounding that case died down, and all that was left was, "Metallica are a bunch of a-holes." Funimation runs the risk of rubbing paying customers the wrong way if they end up trying to eat these people alive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8