• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media to Release Pokémon Adventures: HeartGold SoulSilver Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:52 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Tenbyakugon wrote:
Black and White isn't relevant, the upcoming mini-ban or tankoban, to HeartGold and SoulSilver. That movie manga isn't canon to the games, whereas these manga are, making it quite irrelevant.

Uh, Special is not canon to the games at all. It outright contradicts many things established in the games. It's pretty blatantly unlike the games and goes off it's own little world pretty much from the start.

It is when the creator of the video game part of the franchise deems it so~ (stopping short of being literal).
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:06 am Reply with quote
When exactly did he say it was canon, again?
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:

It is when the creator of the video game part of the franchise deems it so~ (stopping short of being literal).

He said something to the extent of "This is the closest to the world I wanted to portray". It's a great compliment but that doesn't mean that makes it canon. That was also said when the R/B/G arc was running.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Technically he said "This is the manga that most resembles the world I was trying to convey". Keep in mind there was only 2 manga out back then: Special and Pocket Monsters, which was more of a gag comedy series. And simply saying "it most resembles my world out of the two" isn't exactly praise. I also wonder if he said that before or after the series went into fan-fiction territory of having half the Gym Leaders being evil. Either way, as mentioned, that doesn't make it canon by any stretch of the means.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
A matter of interpretation.
sorincha child

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:52 am Reply with quote
Well, this should prove interesting. I know what to get my brother now at least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2