• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Square Enix Unveils Star Galaxy Simulation Game on Yahoo! Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:26 am Reply with quote
I saw the countdown website and was briefly hopeful that it would be an announcement regarding a potential new Star Ocean game on consoles. Alas, my hopes were quickly dashed.

Though, in this day and age, if Square-Enix were to announce a new Star Ocean game, it'd probably be a boring MMORPG without a scripted single-player offline mode worth a damn, so maybe I should be grateful for small mercies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:54 am Reply with quote
As mentioned: Smile

Siliconera:

• The Square Enix teaser site like Siliconera predicted is for Star Galaxy, a massively multiplayer simulation game set in outer space. Up to 2,000 people can fight on one gigantic battlefield. Players act as a planet’s commander in chief by managing resources, infrastructure, and power sources. You can develop your base by adding buildings and secure resources by taking over other planets.

Haha, like Master Of Orion:

• Master of Orion overlaps with Civilization insofar as you are the leader of one of several races. Technological advance, realm expansion and combat are all key elements. Where it differs is in being set in space.

The planet Orion itself is a lush, fertile planet with vast mineral resources. It is guarded by the Guardian - a powerful vessel which you have to defeat in order to plunder Orion's riches.

As you attempt to expand your empire, you will have to trade and steal technologies form rivals, again much like Civ. Your ships can be improved over the game, in terms of engine power, shields, cloaking devices and weapons, and different combinations of these can be integrated. Resource management is largely set using sliders, which reduces the amount of time spent on micro-management.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:59 am Reply with quote
Trololol...SE why? Why not do a proper console game?
Altacia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Well.....

That was disappointing.

Anime cry
Kurohei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Well I guess we've all learned to never trust a Square Enix countdown.
dan9999

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
EPICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC TURN OFF!!

I was an idiot to had my hopes up with SE for a new Star Ocean.

But not surprising, its SE, a joke of its former self. I wish enix had not merged with SS, I bet the awesome Star Ocean franchise would still be alive.

Of the few developer you can trust today, badass, kick ass ATLUS.
flawed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Star Ocean was an Enix series not a Square series.
Without Tri-Ace I highly doubt you'll see Square Enix push a new SO series. Tri-Ace seems to have become an outsource for materials to games from other companies [FFXIII-2 SE and some Level 5 handheld games doubt we'll ever see in the states]. The most recent console offering they had was with SEGA, End of Eternity/Resonance of Fate, Tri-Ace developers also said that SO4 would probably be the last game in that series.

Remember Tri-Ace is not a huge developer only capable of at most putting out a single console game about every one to two years and with console sequels typically going 4+ years between release. Valkyrie Profile 1 and 2 had 6 years between them, Star Ocean 1 and 2 had 3 [going from snes to ps1] Star Ocean 2 and 3 had 4 years and Star Ocean 3 and 4 had 6 years. So even if the series continues I wouldn't expect one until early 2014

Also considering the storyline of SO3, making an MMO of the series would probably end up falling to close to a .hack cop-out that hopefully Tri-Ace would be above.

Granted there is a glimmer of hope in the internal engine developed by Tri-Ace and these outsourced projects is something to get the company by until they have a new game for release.

In all honesty I'd much rather have a story sequel to RoF then a SO sequel or a new IP from Tri-Ace given that SO imo ran the course of the story with two middling story lines with one & two, the end with three and the beginning with four. Another Valkyrie Profile wouldn't necessarily be bad either but I sort of have the same opinion in regard to the story there as well and wouldn't want them to try to force a story for the sake of a sequel.

Last edited by flawed on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
End of Eternity/Resonance of Fate was great. A sequel to that would be awesome.
dan9999

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
flawed wrote:
Star Ocean was an Enix series not a Square series.

Of course, did I cause some confusion?, this is why i said I wish enix had not merged with Square Soft, because with enix still kicking we could probbaly still have the franchises alive, that we loved for this publisher and its partnership with tri-ace, honestly I would rather have more of SO or VP, theres still life in them IMO, SO 4 was not good, and while 3 did end the series, SO universe is vast more stories could be told. I would love more of VP too.

Resonance of fate...mmm, it sucked, the gameplay was great and challenging, so it was the battle mode, BUT the story left a LOT to be desired it made no darn sense, you had to pick broken pieces here and there to make little sense of it, it sucked for me, so no I would rather not see more of it unless its to fix the story or ACTUALLY HAVE ONE! .

Infinite Undiscovery was pretty bland as well, have yet to check Frontier Gate, to me Tri-Ace has lost its touch ever since Enix merged with SS. I get the feeling its not getting enough support from SS.
flawed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:33 am Reply with quote
No, I apologize. It was more an agreement than a correction pointing to the fact that Square controls SquareEnix and not Enix. Thus Enix IPs have seemingly stagnated since the merger IMO.

RoF story is more about discerning the events akin to how the character's in the game piece them together instead of being directly explained/synopsis to the player [ala final fantasy which still causes to much thinking for being in your face]. I'll admit that I can see how that can add a bit of confusion, though within the game once you piece it together it actually makes sense [or at least to me it did]. It kinda reminded me of the first part of Xenogears before the second disc started.
emma520

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I like the roles in the game, they are either beautiful or handsome.
And Star Galaxy starts with the mysterious disappear of the dominant planet in an explosion, leading the galaxy into turmoil.
All planets took the chance of chaos taking up arms against each other over the new leadership in the galaxy.
Finally, four major forces were in dominance but they wouldn’t stop fighting until the ultimate leader came out.
This is a attactive story.
sorincha child

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:54 am Reply with quote
... that was not what I expected at all...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1