• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion 3.0 Earns 5.1 Billion Yen/US$56 Million

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I highly doubt 3.0 cost much more than it made. If we are to consider the production values of something like Akira ($11 Million if Wikipedia is to be trusted) which were quite high for its time, how would something like 3.0 cost way more than that?

Also you can't apply American movie budgets to anime movie budgets, they are two completely different things.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote
PrecisionCrab wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Not really surprised by this, I knew even before this came out Evangelion 3.0 would end up making a lot of money.

Uhhhh... In the movie industry...$56 mil is kinda a flop... Especially when paired against its budget. Especially considering it opened 3 months ago.

You're comparing two different markets.

I remember when I was heavily into the Japanese music scene, I was quite surprised at the sales numbers of singles and albums. Stuff sells less there, but they're still successful.
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Well, as long as its past the budget, there aren't any problems. But, if say, that movie cost $60 mil to make (which could very well be the case), then that's a pickle.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:05 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
I highly doubt 3.0 cost much more than it made. If we are to consider the production values of something like Akira ($11 Million if Wikipedia is to be trusted) which were quite high for its time, how would something like 3.0 cost way more than that?

Also you can't apply American movie budgets to anime movie budgets, they are two completely different things.

It would have to cost nearly $30 million if it wanted to be among the top for expensive budgets. That's about what Princess Mononoke works out to if we're just looking at yen's inflation over time. Steamboy cost $22 million in 2004, and I'd hazard a guess that most anime films don't even break $10 million in budgets, and maybe $15 million for things like these Eva movies. Eva's marketing campaign probably cost far more than the film itself, which with its current ticket sales only still puts in the black with positive revenue. Fudgeddabout those 100,000+ guaranteed BD/DVD sales, at 80 bucks a pop.

There are no anime films that cost more than $35 million to produce, not even Ghibli can scrounge that kind of cash. $60 million is absolutely ridiculous. Any anime with that kind of budget and the talent it would undoubtedly attract would be a sight to behold. To think, Jack and Jill only cost $79 million: money well spent!

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Also consider that Japan, which is the only place 3.0 has been shown in theaters so far, has around 200 million less people then the USA. To them the equivalent of $56mil is a lot.
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:

On the contrary, you'd be surprised how expensive anime films can be to produce. Stateside, there's been a bigger interest in indie films more than ever - studios are looking to save.

Ten, twenty years ago, that would''ve been the case. But today...well, the times are a changin'. And...like that guy with the nonsensical username above me stated, the marketing for this film went up to 11. Altogether, it's very possible the film's complete budget - from production to marketing - scrapes a 100 mil.

That said, we'll never know. Japanese companies are much more private about costs than the ones stateside. Here, it's like some manner of pride if your film is crazy expensive.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
PrecisionCrab wrote:
we'll never know. Japanese companies are much more private about costs than the ones stateside. Here, it's like some manner of pride if your film is crazy expensive.
Completely agreed. I've been searching for any film's budget information and it's very difficult to find any.

PrecisionCrab wrote:
Altogether, it's very possible the film's complete budget - from production to marketing - scrapes a 100 mil.
You say we'll never know, yet you somehow know this number? Please inform us how you were able to find out this budget since it's very difficult to find any numbers.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
PrecisionCrab wrote:
Altogether, it's very possible the film's complete budget - from production to marketing - scrapes a 100 mil.

Uh, no. Firstly, Eva needs no marketing. The thing sells itself with the fans. Secondly, it's very, very, very unlikely this came anywhere close to $100M to produce.

At most, I'd say less than $10M, and that's being generous.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
PrecisionCrab wrote:

On the contrary, you'd be surprised how expensive anime films can be to produce. Stateside, there's been a bigger interest in indie films more than ever - studios are looking to save.

Ten, twenty years ago, that would''ve been the case. But today...well, the times are a changin'. And...like that guy with the nonsensical username above me stated, the marketing for this film went up to 11. Altogether, it's very possible the film's complete budget - from production to marketing - scrapes a 100 mil.

That said, we'll never know. Japanese companies are much more private about costs than the ones stateside. Here, it's like some manner of pride if your film is crazy expensive.

I like how you just pull numbers out of your ass and then act like they prove your point.
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:50 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
vangelionite88 wrote:
jdnation wrote:
Damn I'm itching to see this! Hurry up and release the blu-ray! Can't Funimation get on board to work with Kara to get the English blu-ray out the same time as Japan? THis is the sort of stuff that needs to be clockworked.

that would be great but regarding evas release schedules...... well they have never been released according to their own timetables, 3.0 wont be released in japan even until december this year, so at best a us release wont come until 2014.

Where is proof that it will release in December? If going by 2.0 trend it will be Sep/Oct but they made everyone wait too long for that (and they know it) so I would predict it will be in the summer.

it will be released this year in japan, exactly when? who knows. but I hardly expect a us dvd release within the same year. us 2014 at best. I cant locate my source btw.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
PrecisionCrab wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Not really surprised by this, I knew even before this came out Evangelion 3.0 would end up making a lot of money.

Uhhhh... In the movie industry...$56 mil is kinda a flop... Especially when paired against its budget. Especially considering it opened 3 months ago.

It depends on the movie's budget actually. A more niche film at say a 25 mil budget wouldn't be considered a flop if it made 56 mil. If it cost say 100mil plus and only made that much, hello Spirits Within, than yes it would be a flop. All depends on the budget and profit margin.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
walw6pK4Alo is giving you the price that it would take to purchase the Japanese version since it would require any licensor to charge the same price as it for a simultaneous release and not worry about any Japanese person reverse importing the release.

You are comparing different mediums of different popularities (in regards to profits) not to mention the huge issue of the language barrier. Most games that are released from a Japanese publisher tend to have English audio/text only. If they do have Japanese audio, there is usually a delay between Japanese/international releases if the system can play releases between regions. As for manga, it is again released English-only (or whatever is the dominant language in that country), so there's little reason to reverse-import.

Hmmm, that does make sense given they are concerned about reverse importing... Never thought of it that way...

Quote:
Anime fans run the gauntlet of people who only watch in English to people who only watch in Japanese, so you can't do that kind of release without alienating some fans. Most people who purchase dubbed release tend to want a "reasonably priced" set, so they wouldn't pay the same price as the JP simultaneous release.

That would make sense for TV shows. But films wouldn't suffer that. Although it's correct that the concerns about reverse importing still hold here...

Quote:
You are assuming that there are no issues between Funimation and the international rights holder, which may or may not be the animation studio, Khara. Why is it so important that this movie have an immediate release in NA when the region gives perhaps 250,000 USD to license the film compared to the 5,036,164,770 yen (approximately 54,864,841 USD at the current exchange rate) they earn from sales (of which 30 million goes to the distributor to fund the committee)? It's incredibly selfish to say "I'll give you less than 1 percent of your domestic sales returns, so let me release it on the same day you do!"

Given the increased proceeds 3.0 has over 2.0 in theatres and the likely increase in sales for 3.33 over 2.22, they are doing well focusing on the domestic market alone. Why should the Japanese rights holder worry about piracy affecting the international market when the movie does so well in the domestic market? Should the Hollywood studios or Disney worry about piracy of their releases affecting international sales when they make their money back from domestic showings/home video releases? Then why should the 3.0 production committee worry about Funimation's problem (or whoever licenses the movie)?

The other issue is that previous Eva Rebuild licenses require theatre showings prior to disc release, which takes logistical time to arrange and provide materials. Of course any disc release would be the likely 3.33 version since there was no disc release of 2.0 in Japan, nor is there likely to be one for 3.0 in Japan. It'd still take time to author discs and get them in line to press from their distributor.

Madman has said there is an international hold on the license, which makes sense as they want to recoup costs from their primary market before allowing licensors to have copies that could leak and damage their primary source of income. It sucks as an international fan, but that's what happens when you don't live in the primary market as a fan.

All interesting stuff. Thanks for the info!
Vracer111

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
US release can take it's sweet time; I'll be buying the official Region 3 subtitled DVD release for $20ish and wait however long for the $20ish US Blu-Ray release like with 2.22...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:48 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Hmmm, that does make sense given they are concerned about reverse importing... Never thought of it that way...

That would make sense for TV shows. But films wouldn't suffer that. Although it's correct that the concerns about reverse importing still hold here...

No, it holds true for films as well. They might cost be $70-90 dollars in Japan, but never the $24.99 we've become accustomed to paying. Even 2.22's SRP of $34.98 with international shipping included is still far cheaper than buying the product domestically, which is the exact reason we have license and release delays. It's either wait a while and pay a reasonable North American price, or pay three to four times the normal price for a simultaneous release. You can't have a cheap simultaneous release, not with our interconnected global economy, but especially because Japan and North America both are Region A for BluRay. Maybe once the next format comes around and we have God knows how many regions, we won't see these issues. That is if we're still on physical media at all. I fear once that happens, otaku won't be shelling out $70 for 2-3 episodes anymore... that may kill otaku anime. And I don't mean otaku pandering fanservice anime only, but also your Kibbly Beepboops as well.
sorincha child

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:48 am Reply with quote
I'm just amazed the fans have stuck around with this series for so long after being strung up so many times.

Still. I am ab Eva newbie and I do think the movies themselves are worth it. Looking forward to adding this one to my shelf.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2