• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A Certain Magical Index DVD 1 & 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why all the negative remarks. While it is not a masterpiece Index is a very enjoyable show. Both Index and its spinoff Railgun have gotten a bit more hype than was good for them but it was not too excessive.

I got around to watching Index through ANN (on Hulu I think) a couple of months ago and enjoyed it enough that when the DVDs came out I bought them and watched a second time. I found the final arc a bit silly, but overall it was very enjoyable. I will be picking up any sequels or spinoffs that become available and will get it on Bluray if it becomes available.

@ angelmcazares
Most people do an informal cost/benefit analysis before they decide to buy something. That a given show may be too expensive at one level does not mean it is junk, just that they do not think it is worth what is asked. That is especially true of a show like this that is available online and can be seen without the cost.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I assume this is because I'm a massive RPG fan and hence I accustomed myself to lots of text, dialogues, and complex universe/rules, but I didn't find the explanations and story that hard to follow at all. Confused

Now that I think about it, I'm able to follow a lot of series criticized for being hard to follow...I'm probably the 1% of RE fan who has no trouble following it's story, then again 99% of the fanbase has ADD or something. Playing lotsa RPG has it's neat side-effects I guess.

I should test that theory sometime, but finding people who play excessive amounts of RPGs and having watched this series at the same time, and then asking their opinion on whether parts of this series was too complicated or not sounds unrealistically difficult to pull off.

Last edited by Gon*Gon on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:49 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
[DISCLAIMER: I am neutral to A Certain Magical Index because I have not watched it. I am not trying to argue in favor or against it]

I find it funny that an apparent undesirable series, like Index, is not worth touching if it costs more than $20. But does this mean that when FUNi start selling the complete season of A Certain Magical Index at $20 or less, it will somehow become good and desirable?

What I am trying to say is: if you consider an anime crappy to begin, why would it be worth having all of the sudden when it is in the bargain bin?

Personally, if I were offered 20 complete series, that I considered undesirable, for $50, I would not buy them them because I do not collect garbage just for the sake of owning a lot of anime.

It's not bad for a viewing or two. But nowhere near good enough to warrant day-1 purchases, is what I'm saying. Mediocre series = bargain price tag.

Secondly...where did I ever say that the series was crappy? All I said was that I agree with the review. That is, average.

Kazemon15 wrote:
I can understand that season 1 is still basically "setting up the plot." This is why I hope season 2 gets licensed since I know it'll be far better than season 1.

It's...really not. It actually worse, by a significant margin. And from the LN spoilers I read...it goes ridiculously downhill from there.

Maybe I should retract my statement about the bargain pin pricing after all...

Last edited by PrecisionCrab on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

@ angelmcazares
Most people do an informal cost/benefit analysis before they decide to buy something. That a given show may be too expensive at one level does not mean it is junk, just that they do not think it is worth what is asked. That is especially true of a show like this that is available online and can be seen without the cost.

I get the logic behind your statement. But I still do not understand how people can justify buying crappy anime just because it has a cheap price. True, I only pay more than $100 for sets of series that are very special to me, but I do not mind paying $50 for anime that I like but is not crucial to my collection. If I watch something and I am not impressed with it, I will most likely never buy it, no matter how cheap it gets.

PrecisionCrab wrote:

Secondly...where did I ever say that the series was crappy? All I said was that I agree with the review. That is, average.

I see; my bad. I apologize to you. I tend to use the word crappy too liberally.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kohii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
Hm, with most of the blogs I've browsed around basically bashing the series into the dirt, I was pretty much surpised there even WAS a stable fanbase to begin with...

They wouldn't have made a second season and a movie if it wasn't a popular franchise. Although, in retrospect, "successful" would've been a more accurate term.

Last edited by Kohii on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
MatrixGravity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys is Index coming to Blu-ray this year? And will it be a regular Blu-ray collection, or a Blu-ray/DVD set? I really hope they release it as a regular Blu-ray collection.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
MatrixGravity wrote:
Hey guys is Index coming to Blu-ray this year? And will it be a regular Blu-ray collection, or a Blu-ray/DVD set? I really hope they release it as a regular Blu-ray collection.

I highly doubt it railgun is not even getting a bluray set when it comes out in April of this year
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/Mw53H6XJiLkEB-AQzE/browse/item/97398/4/0/0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Considering the series shafts focus on Index for most of the show's later arcs after the first one is concluded, I always wondered they didn't just call it A Certain Imagine Breaker considering whom the series mostly focuses on in the later arcs. Rolling Eyes

Still, the review for this was pretty spot-on. After the first two arcs that did involve Index in some form, the later ones tended to drag developments with her storyline to a great extent as they involved characters that had nothing to do with Index at all. It has its fun moments, but suffers quality-wise for dragging itself too much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The lackluster final arc says it all: even though it features yet another high-concept idea (can stray ESP waves form sentient beings?), the final battle is a run-of-the-mill brawl, Kamijo shows no significant growth as a character, and a few dangling plot points ("Stay tuned for Season 2!", they're saying) make for an unsatisfying finish.

Spoiler: You can pretty much say the same thing about season 2.

I enjoyed season 1 despite its issues, but season 2 rapidly sucked away most of the affection I had for the franchise. Look forward to the cast increasing more and the plot going basically nowhere.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:32 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Look forward to the cast increasing more and the plot going basically nowhere.

Kaori should do something!

Will Kaori do something?

Kaori will do something soon!

Kaori would do something, but she can't work a washing machine!
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:51 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
but my biggest complaint is that the plotlines make no f$&^ing sense. For example, the Accelerator battle. The hero says, 'If I, a level zero, beat Accelerator in mortal kombat, spoiler[the grown ups will decide the experiment is a failure and release the clones in the wild, to live normal lives.]' And he goes and does that, and behold, it comes to pass --except if you can rub two brain cells together, you'd realize there is no way that would happen. First, even in super future land, spoiler[clones] can't be cheap, or we'd see more of them. So these scientists threw away a several million dollar experiment after one unanticipated outlier. Secondly, scientists want to see results that don't meet expectations. The hero beating Accelerator would be a exciting for them, because it would mean that they've discovered something new and unexpected. And finally, even if they decide to cancel the experiment and lose their grant money, they spoiler[wouldn't just release the clones]. There has to be a dozen other experiments they could be used in. No, what happened is the author wrote the ending he wanted, and then pulled the causes out of his ass. And I can't forgive bad writing like that. It's juvenile, and like the rest of this franchise, a complete waste of time

Sorry but the only reason you think that is lack of information on your part. Somewhat minor novel spoilers incoming to near perfectly explain and rationalize all of those issues you specifically point out and why it does 'appear' to conveniently go in the favor of the protagonists.

spoiler[The level 6 shift experiment was intended to fail and be discarded. The mastermind of Academic City doesn't give a crap about that experiment, he made the clones for 2 other purposes: to create the network to summon Dragon and Fuze, to be released all over the world to spread AIM which he needs for his plan (the reasons why are explained, but I won't go into that). If he just canceled the experiment with no reason, people would look into what the clones were really for because no one would invest, as you pointed out, a huge amount of money and then cancel the project for no reason. In this case the inability to recalculate, Accel's loss to a level 0, and Accel's no longer being willing to participate are enough of a reason to cancel it so that he can continue with his original plan under the guise of sending them all over as part of giving them their freedom.

Also the scientists opinions are irrelevant. They may indeed be excited, but as its stated that both Accel and Touma are parts of Alister's plan, he has dibs on them over the scientists so there isn't going to be some grand scale experiment with either of them. Even if the scientists didn't want to listen, Accel shows that the dark side of the city isn't enough to contain him later meaning now that he isn't interested in experiments, there is absolutely no way short of Alister doing something and he has no interest in that.]

Bash the anime all you want, but the writing it was based off of is fine.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:24 am Reply with quote
I enjoy A Certain Magical Index very much. While some of the plot might have some flaws just like the reviewer said, it's still a good story.

One thing i didn't like was the dub with was mixed. The dub actors for Touma and Accelerator were great but the rest didn't sound right or didn't have the feel. For example, having Brittney Karbowski voice Mikoto and her sisters Misaka and Last Order could have work fine if all three didn't sound the same. (For goodness sake, Misaka is a robotic stoic and Last Order is a cheerful child. So why on earth didn't they make any effort to make each girl sound different?)

With A Certain Magical Index now out in North America, i can't wait for A Certain Scientific Railgun to come out and be reviewed. And hopefully, the reviewers might enjoy Railgun.
Kohii

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
I thought Kuroko sounded awfully bland in english. And I cringe when I imagine how she's going to sound in the Railgun dub. It wouldn't do justice to Satomi Arai's award-winning performance of Kuroko.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:55 am Reply with quote
I love Index, but I absolutely agree light novel writers, especially Dengeki ones, tend to try and make too many complicated descriptions (Shakugan no Shana, anyone?). MIsaka was an amazing character, until they ruined her in Railgun by making her the ultimate moe stereotype. She is still the best anime character I've ever seen.

I am part of the Index (I hate Index the character) fanbase, but even I, a fan for 5 years, cannot understand more than half the terms,

However, I strongly recommend this series. What people have to remember is that reviews are mostly opinion. Even if it has a C rating, it doesn't mean it's necessarily a C product. It just happens that this reviewer thinks it is.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:49 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Quote:
The lackluster final arc says it all: even though it features yet another high-concept idea (can stray ESP waves form sentient beings?), the final battle is a run-of-the-mill brawl, Kamijo shows no significant growth as a character, and a few dangling plot points ("Stay tuned for Season 2!", they're saying) make for an unsatisfying finish.

Spoiler: You can pretty much say the same thing about season 2.

I enjoyed season 1 despite its issues, but season 2 rapidly sucked away most of the affection I had for the franchise. Look forward to the cast increasing more and the plot going basically nowhere.

We all know the plot is going somewhere overtime just not where most didn't see coming.
spoiler[I think the cliff hangar ending and setup for wwIII is a good case that series is moving along.]

mewpudding101 wrote:
I love Index, but I absolutely agree light novel writers, especially Dengeki ones, tend to try and make too many complicated descriptions (Shakugan no Shana, anyone?). MIsaka was an amazing character, until they ruined her in Railgun by making her the ultimate moe stereotype. She is still the best anime character I've ever seen.

I am part of the Index (I hate Index the character) fanbase, but even I, a fan for 5 years, cannot understand more than half the terms,

However, I strongly recommend this series. What people have to remember is that reviews are mostly opinion. Even if it has a C rating, it doesn't mean it's necessarily a C product. It just happens that this reviewer thinks it is.

What does that even mean?? the joke that she is tsundere character?? That aside if you can get hold of the manga for it's way more darker and plot heavy than the anime series.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5