• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A Certain Magical Index DVD 1 & 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
@angelmcazares

Half the shows that get Cs on here are the kinds of shows that most people would be fine grabbing off netflix/hulu and going through over a week or two. People tend to take reviews like this too seriously and overstate how much they hate a show. In the end most of us grab a bowl of popcorn and watch a show that really isn't that great, but end up enjoying it anyways. And then those same people go on the internet and complain about how terrible it was, because that's what the internet is there for.

I get what you are saying. I am not questioning people streaming mediocre anime; I am questioning those who can justify buying mediocre anime just because it is priced cheap.

And about the bolded sentence. Maybe I am a very harsh critic, but when I want to watch anime, I pick up something that is at least Descent. And why kill my brain cells and eyes on crappy stuff?
MatrixGravity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Guys when can we expect Index on bluray?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:36 pm Reply with quote
MatrixGravity wrote:
Guys when can we expect Index on bluray?

until funimation says anything, no one knows
loka

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:06 am Reply with quote
Anyone saying Index is too wordy is watching the show with the wrong expectations.

Also, there are other anime that have both magic and a futuristic setting.
Taskforce

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:12 am Reply with quote
Wow, I must be the exception, I really liked Index, but when it comes to Railgun, I couldn't finish it. I found Makoto just wasn't an interesting enough character to be the focus of her own show, as much as I liked her in Index. The supporting cast wasn't much help either. Kuroko's shtick gets tired enough in Index, and she never was that likable for me. Uiharu they tried too hard to make cute. (They did the same to index, but it worked to some extent for Index, it didn't for Uiharu.) The only interesting one beyond Makoto was Saten, but she just didn't get enough focus.

In the end, it just felt like a quirky tack-on spinoff that waited for cameos to spice it up and keep people watching because they knew it just didn't work on its own. And by the late teens, I was so bored with it, I just couldn't finish it. At some point I'm sure I'll go back and do so, only because it does go with Index which I do like. Maybe when the dub hits so I can pay less attention.

I also found the information in Index was easy to follow and definitely not that wordy. If you think this show is hard to follow, watch Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere and you'll appreciate how easy this one is to follow afterwords. (And I'm not bashing Horizon, I like it too.) But I also play many text heavy RPG's, maybe as was stated before, that helps.
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
Anyone saying Index is too wordy is watching the show with the wrong expectations.

And what expectations should we have already?

The show is advertised as a hard-hitting action fantasy series, no matter where you look, what synopsis you read or what clip or ad you watch. Why the hell should anyone expect anything else?

If I'm going into Die Hard, I'm not going to expect Cruel Intentions. If I go into Die Hard, and see Cruel Intentions then simply put that particular Die Hard failed utterly.

I went into Index expecting what they wanted me to expect. What I got was a godamn visual novel. It failed.

But at the very least, I can still admit I drained out some entertainment from it. But for the most part, it disappoints in what it sets out to do. It's just another case of fanbase > quality. And from what I saw, honestly, and not just here, Index's particular fanbase is hooked onto it solely because they want a cheap substitute to rile on shonen shows. "What? He watches Bleach? Pff! Peon. Me and my buddies, we watch Index yo! If you watch it, we'll let you hang with us."
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:

Also, there are other anime that have both magic and a futuristic setting.
Got any recommendations then?

I loved this series for what it is. Would be nice to see others like it since I don't think there'll be a 3rd season anytime soon.

The closest thing I could think of Zero no Tsukaima, where the entire world is magic, but objects from Saito's world constantly appears and contrasts with everything else.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon veritably leaps to mind.
Taskforce

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:

There are a lot of arc oriented shounen that would fall into a similar category. Most of which you've probably seen.

Fate/Stay Night and Zero
Shana
Tokyo Underground
Rental Magica
Kaze no Stigma
Horizon
Buso Renkin
Blue Exorcist
Kekkaishi
Corpse Princess
Needless
Fairy Tail
Rurouni Kenshin
Yu Yu Hakusho
And plenty more.

(I don't think I have to mention Naruto, Bleach, Dragonball and One Piece do I?)
teferi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Gon*Gon wrote:

Really? I mean if there's one show with worse writing than Index it's Horizon. Although I guess you're probably just trolling and recommending another mediocre title.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Gon*Gon wrote:

Really? I mean if there's one show with worse writing than Index it's Horizon. Although I guess you're probably just trolling and recommending another mediocre title.

No, Horizon is a well written, intelligently constructed story written by an author who is not, in fact, a hack.

The fact that a large number of people on this site have latched onto the same opinion as a few of the staff (and most of those people have not in fact watched the show), does not change this in the slightest.

Horizon actually is what most fans of shows like Index and SAO try to claim those shows are.
leeoflittlefaith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Horizon's exposition is truly ridiculous, I stopped watching after about four episodes.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
aww, right before it really got interesting
BrandonL337

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:43 am Reply with quote
I really like index, sure it has it problem, the stopp-start nature of an arc heavy serious can be a bit disorienting, and the dub, while overall quite good, has some line issues and i didn't much like kuroko's voice at all. Despite this I found the show to be a lot of fun, very exciting, and sometimes pretty damn funny as well. I personally liked the arc-based story-telling as it divided the show into chunks that made it really easy to watch over the course of a week which is exactly what i did. Hell, i was enjoying myself so much, i went out and bought part 2 from fry's only a couple days after buying part one.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:49 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Index was wildly inconsistent, but the world and its mythos greatly fascinated me. You could also see in the first season the series start to buckle under the weight of its own cast list. You're not writing a manga for Shounen Jump, so why try to have as many characters as one?

This was also my take on the first series. Watching it irritated me quite a bit on occasion but I didn't end up regretting having watched it. Unfortunately the problems that the first series has become even more pronounced in the second series.

And I entirely disagree with any comments that put Horizon on a pedestal well above this one. It has a slightly more coherent overall plot but is no less of a jumbled mess otherwise and has the same issues with getting too talky.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5