• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: WSJ: PS3 Successor to Be Unveiled on February 20

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
What happened to "we'll wait for Microsoft to announce theirs" Sony? Rolling Eyes

Well I'm looking forward to the announcement though mostly to finally have the last laugh at people who are apparently still expecting the next generation to blow the current one out of the water in specs.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote
If they really want to go DD-only (which I hope they don't--I don't have a problem with DD but I like to have discs) then it's gonna need to have a MASSIVE hard drive. Games are getting immensely huge--hell, I think GTA IV's complete edition was 14.5+ GB--and hard drives fill up fast. A terabyte's the minimum, I think--enough space to hold tons of games and they're getting cheaper every day.

If they do go DD-only, I wonder what game sections in stores will be like? Will there just be small cases with DL-codes or will the just cease to exist?
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. The PS4 will likely support Ultra HD of one sort or another, because Sony wants people to have a reason to buy new display hardware. But I live by myself and am quite happy with watching everything on my 22-inch Bravia. I don't even feel that Blu-ray is necessarily better than DVD, except for convenience. (Admittedly, my eyesight is terrible.)

Everyone seems to want to do away with physical media, from books to games to music to video. I'm not happy with that.

Then there's the big question of backwards compatibility. With each new generation of gaming hardware, there seem to be fewer and fewer games I want to play. So if the PS4 doesn't have some decent backwards compatibility, the chances are slim I will ever buy one.

I also have a small collection of alternative PS, PS2 and PS3 controllers. If none of them work with the PS4, forget about it.
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Thinking back to the dark days of 2007, I don't know what's the bigger surprise to me... that Sony actually turned things around so much that there's actually going to BE a PS4 or that it's by far the console I'm most excited by the prospect of.

Though in fairness, a lot of that is also down to Microsoft's seeming intent on turning Xbox into an advertising stuffed Kinect trojan and the Wii U ending up being a complete flop on every front... in my eyes, the PS4 does not have to try very hard at all to convince me to buy it on day one.
Sloggett

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:35 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
... Who else saw WSJ and thought "Weekly Shonen Jump"? Laughing

ANN got me too. Laughing
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:25 am Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
Honestly, I'm hoping the successor will be more user friendly. Music during any game, use web while in voice chat, cross game/in-game w/ out of game chat, improved apps (Youtube, Crunchyroll, etc.), better browser (I can't remember how many times this has crashed on me), and the ability to delete trophy patches (so many games at 0%).

Most of what you're asking for has been implemented on Vita (cross game chat, universal music, etc.) so I see little reason to believe it won't be on the next home console.

RyanSaotome wrote:
500GB is the newest version of PS3 and biggest yet. My PS3 is a 60GB (I got this one since it can play PS2 games upscaled while they removed that feature from the newer versions with bigger HDs) so I couldn't even download many things even if I wanted to.

You know you can upgrade your hard-drive size, right? PS3 uses a standard 2.5'' laptop hard-drive, and while there's a limit to how large a drive you can put in one, it's larger than 500GB.
methaniel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:13 am Reply with quote
It doesn't talk about the probably true rumor that the new controller (apparently quite different from the previous Playstation's one) would have a touch panel on its back (like the Vita), that could be interesting.
Gaikai will also be added on the console I think, but not right at the beginning I guess (I can already see so much lag incoming with this system...not everyone has a good enough internet to stream a game live, nor do we know about Sony's server yet)
Ah, and they also better have a retro-compatibility with PS3 or else it'll not sell at all during its first days (imagine, the brand new GTAV not playable on PS4...)
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:22 am Reply with quote
If they went through the trouble of including PS3 hardware, they'd have no reason for an architectural overhaul. Beefing up a few specs here and there would leave the thing ready to take on the Xbox 720.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
... Who else saw WSJ and thought "Weekly Shonen Jump"? Laughing

*raises hand* Embarassed

Divineking wrote:
What happened to "we'll wait for Microsoft to announce theirs" Sony? Rolling Eyes
[...]

A Nintendo Direct. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2